Edinburgh Vs Kings

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby BruceLee on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 pm

A good comprehensive thrashing of a poor team, but you can only play whats put in front of you.Yes on another night we probably could have exceeded 50 points,but all the guys performed well,in particular, Fowles,Mckenzie,Crosbie,and Graham were my stand outs.We need the core of a good back squad,and to be honest that team produced the goods.Well done guys and roll on the remainder of the season.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

A decent performance against a very poor Kings. I was surprised by how fast we started and after 12 mins the contest was over. No real poor performances. If I was being picky then Fowles box kicking wasn't particularly good and Socino needs to learn how to keep hold of the ball in contact. I thought our back row was excellent and Crosbie and Ritchie together looked excellent. Good to see our guys coming back from injury and a few of the young guys doing well and looking confident. I thought Shiel looked excellent albeit against a non-existent Kings defence. Hopefully they can build and maintain this level of performance and not sink to the lows of the Dragons away debacle?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

doedin wrote:A decent performance against a very poor Kings. I was surprised by how fast we started and after 12 mins the contest was over. No real poor performances. If I was being picky then Fowles box kicking wasn't particularly good and Socino needs to learn how to keep hold of the ball in contact. I thought our back row was excellent and Crosbie and Ritchie together looked excellent. Good to see our guys coming back from injury and a few of the young guys doing well and looking confident. I thought Shiel looked excellent albeit against a non-existent Kings defence. Hopefully they can build and maintain this level of performance and not sink to the lows of the Dragons away debacle?

Would think the team we were able to put out yesterday would win those games. The pack was a lot stronger.

Shiel's box kicking was very good I thought and his service was fantastic. I hope we see more of him, I thought Fowles was good and he's a fine 3rd scrumhalf but we need a back up to Pyrgos. Shiel looks like he can add pace.

I think it's important that Cockers continues to grow depth so we avoid a Dragons/Zebre dabacle. The players last night can play at this level, they need opportunity now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 pm

A family do meant that I missed the game yesterday but I've finally caught up with it.

Bergs was my motm, a terrific performance in the set scrum matched by good work around the park, he carried well, made his tackles and passed from the base when required, of course his try was magnificent, it must be from 30m by now.
Close behind was Sutherland, I'd have him ahead of Dell at the moment.

At times the game was little more than a live training session, but as the cliché goes you can only play.... etc

I want to take a moment to talk about Charlie Shiel, we were all wondering when he'd get his chance and boy did he take it - he comes on, gets a huge gee-up from Fowles (who played well I thought) and immediately takes the whip hand to the forwards, bossing them like he was Greig Laidlaw, shouting, cajoling his pack to give him what he wanted - that was brilliant. Then he goes on to deliver crisp accurate passing, sweeping back when it was called for and running the "George Horne line" in attack, enabling him to be in position to take a sweet ball from Miller before passing out of the tackle to the onrushing Fenton for the score.

Great start to his Edinburgh career, long may it continue.

Onwards...

edit - btw, the strength Sutherland showed for his score was quite something
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Not sure how to link a video to twitter.

Crosbie and kings captain had a disagreement clip shows why.

Check out @vern_cotter’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/vern_cotter/status/ ... 51328?s=09
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not sure how to link a video to twitter.

Check out @vern_cotter’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/vern_cotter/status/ ... 51328?s=09

He was just checking the guys cup was in the right place. Good guy.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:06 pm

May sound odd given his stats earlier in the thread, but it was good to see DVDM getting off his wing and looking for work - and very effective he was too.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 pm

The Chiel wrote:May sound odd given his stats earlier in the thread, but it was good to see DVDM getting off his wing and looking for work - and very effective he was too.

I believe the one pass he made all match was the try scoring one to Fife(?) quality not quantity :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:57 am

Tichtheid wrote:Bergs was my motm, a terrific performance in the set scrum matched by good work around the park, he carried well, made his tackles and passed from the base when required, of course his try was magnificent, it must be from 30m by now.
Close behind was Sutherland, I'd have him ahead of Dell at the moment

STOP PRESS: Tichtheid in front row MOTM shocker!! :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
The Chiel wrote:May sound odd given his stats earlier in the thread, but it was good to see DVDM getting off his wing and looking for work - and very effective he was too.

I believe the one pass he made all match was the try scoring one to Fife(?) quality not quantity :)

Bit surprised by that stat ( not doubting it, just surprised by it :) ), but I think my point about much greater involvement still stands, compared with say Dublin where he stood out on the wing and waited for something to happen. I've assumed the play book for this week ( and hopefully next ) included far more of his coming into the line at angles, and carrying through and over traffic.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:A family do meant that I missed the game yesterday but I've finally caught up with it.

Bergs was my motm, a terrific performance in the set scrum matched by good work around the park, he carried well, made his tackles and passed from the base when required, of course his try was magnificent, it must be from 30m by now.
Close behind was Sutherland, I'd have him ahead of Dell at the moment.

At times the game was little more than a live training session, but as the cliché goes you can only play.... etc

I want to take a moment to talk about Charlie Shiel, we were all wondering when he'd get his chance and boy did he take it - he comes on, gets a huge gee-up from Fowles (who played well I thought) and immediately takes the whip hand to the forwards, bossing them like he was Greig Laidlaw, shouting, cajoling his pack to give him what he wanted - that was brilliant. Then he goes on to deliver crisp accurate passing, sweeping back when it was called for and running the "George Horne line" in attack, enabling him to be in position to take a sweet ball from Miller before passing out of the tackle to the onrushing Fenton for the score.

Great start to his Edinburgh career, long may it continue.

Onwards...

edit - btw, the strength Sutherland showed for his score was quite something

First ever try for Berghan as well. Only took him 60 games to get off the mark...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm

The Chiel wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Bit surprised by that stat ( not doubting it, just surprised by it :) ), but I think my point about much greater involvement still stands, compared with say Dublin where he stood out on the wing and waited for something to happen. I've assumed the play book for this week ( and hopefully next ) included far more of his coming into the line at angles, and carrying through and over traffic.

Your earlier point very much stands. It has been pointed out before how little he has looked for work. Question is whether that is team orders - rigid set up with and without the ball - or just him. Or was he allowed or encouraged to do it against weak opposition to see if he would be exposed getting back if Edinburgh were turned over?

Doo need to see it more and he doesn't need to do so the carries, he will attract defenders as a decoy as well.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Watching live it certainly felt we were playing to a different plan with Fowles, for the most part, getting the ball away quicker and with a more varied attack through the midfield in particular, be that a move with Hickey and the centres or the wingers coming in.

Stats for the wingers certainly suggest they were more involved

DVDM - 1 pass, 9 carries for 140m and 10 defenders beaten. Graham 2 passes, 12 carries for 97m and 7 defenders beaten.

Been plenty of times this season it has felt our back 3 threat has been under utilised, now need to work on getting them the same involvement and impact against the better defences (48 missed tackles by The Kings).
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm

biffer wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Not sure how to link a video to twitter.

He was just checking the guys cup was in the right place. Good guy.

If we were playing an Irish team, I have no doubt that Crosbie would be up before the beaks before the week was out :D :roll:
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm

While it was only the Kings, my greatest encouragement from Friday night was that Charlie Shiel looked very comfortable at this level. In one cameo appearance, he has surely put himself into contention for the 23 for the rest of the campaign. Pyrgos remains first choice, but I have never been convinced by Fowles, so would be delighted to see Charlie sit on the pine for the rest of the season, but with a couple of wee starts thrown in for good measure. Starting with the visit to the Kings in a few weeks.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum