Edinburgh Vs Kings

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Dragons debacle shows we can’t be too comfortable with our wider squad delivering at the required level. I suspect a few may be running out (if not already out) of opportunities to earn a new contract and our away form at the start of the season means we have very little window for any further slip ups. This is a must win.

As Cockerill appears happy to let players do more or less a full 80 I wonder if we will see a lot of changes to the starting XV but a pretty strong bench to be used if required.

Sutherland, Cherry, McCallum, Hunter-Hill, McKenzie, Crosbie, Ritchie, Hamilton, Sheil, Hickey, VDM, Socino, Taylor, Brown, Fife.

Bench: Fenton, Dell, Ceccarelli, Toolis/Gilchrist, Mata, Pyrgos, VDW, Johnstone.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I wonder if we'll see Charlie Shiel on the pine this coming weekend? I noticed him on the park at the end of the Scotstoun match in playing gear, rather than civvies, he must have been the travelling reserve scrum half.

I think Socino has played better in recent weeks, he's starting to look like the player I saw with Newcastle last season

A home fixture against the worst team in any of the Tier 1 top leagues is EXACTLY the kind of game that should be used to give Charlie Shiel a run out. I would still hesitate to put in the starting XV as there will still be pressure to win this game and win it well, but he should absolutely get his chance if we are in a winning position with 30 mins to go.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:55 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
A home fixture against the worst team in any of the Tier 1 top leagues is EXACTLY the kind of game that should be used to give Charlie Shiel a run out. I would still hesitate to put in the starting XV as there will still be pressure to win this game and win it well, but he should absolutely get his chance if we are in a winning position with 30 mins to go.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and it would be good to get some minutes under his belt now before the crunch fixtures coming up around 6N time when we will be one injury away from "losing" HP to Scotland. If we count the games immediately before and after the 6N, we have Kings away, Drags and Cardiff at home, Benetton away then Leinster at home.
Drags won't be stretched but I'd be looking for payback, Cardiff will lose a good few to Wales as will Benetton to Italy, Leinster fourths are still pretty strong. We should be looking to chalk up a good run during those games, we just need to get the guys coming in to play with as much confidence and concentration as our international players.

We should have a decent side available, if the injury gods smile on us.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Quite something to see the OptaJonny Twitter post on Duhan’s 2018:

Most:

Tries (14)
Metres made (1301)
Breaks (32)
Defenders beaten (96)

...of any player in the Pro 14 in 2018.

Decent.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 pm

Impressive.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Sutherland, Cherry, Bergs, Fraz, CHH, Ritchie, Crosbie, Mata

Fowles, Hickey, VDM, Socino, Taylor, Graham, Fife

Fordy, Schoey, Ceccerelli, Toolis, Miller, Shiel, VDW, Johnson
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Good to see Sutherland and MacKenzie back and be interesting to see how Taylor and Shiel go.

Little surprised to see Mata in there, but I doubt he'll be on much after 40 minutes if all is going well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Lots of rotation, but looks like a solid enough pack to build the win on, especially at home.

Great to see McKenzie back in time for the 6N, and building depth with Taylor, Miller and Shiel.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Schoe but Dell needs gametime as he's Scotland's starting LH.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Pretty strong team overall

I am guessing Cockerill has a plan for the next few weeks in terms of rotation and suspect Schoeman and possibly Mata wont be in the Toulon squad.

EDIT: not great to see Hamilton and Dean added to injury list

Unavailable due to injury: Lewis Carmichael; John Barclay; Magnus Bradbury; Senitiki Nayalo; Luke Hamilton; Matt Scott; Mark Bennett; Chris Dean; Damien Hoyland
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Kings haven't played a game since 1st December. Not sure if that means they'll be incredibly fresh - or badly undercooked. I'd suspect more of the latter as it must be almost impossible to jump straight into game intensity after that long a break.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Team should be strong enough and a BP is the target. Pack should take control and run the set piece, I like the look of the back row. However worried about decision making and execution at 9 and 10. Fowles needs to follow instructions and make sure his box kicking is on the mark and Hickey needs to lie flatter and get over the gain line otherwise he will end up kicking to their dangerous back 3 which is something we need to avoid. Also hope that Fife has got his mojo back, his last couple of displays have been pretty awful and in both matches he has let kicks bounce in front of him. Im keen to see how Taylor does in this game, he has looked very promising and he needs to show us what he can do against weaker opposition.

I suspect a few of these guys like Fife and Fowles need a good performance to show Cockerill they are good enough to be part of the squad going forward. They have a bit of ground to make up following some poor performances recently but hopefully the buzz of recent wins in the squad will boost their confidence.

I think we will struggle initially but should end up scraping a BP win after 80 mins.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Spot on Doedin. We have to avoid ball getting to their back 3 (whether it’s us or them on possession). Massive game for Hickey. He was supposed to be top dog but VdW has left him in his wake. Looking forward to the game after watching Scotland’s top side collect a third defeat on the bounce!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Ford starting?

Who's on the bench?

EDIT: Club twitter says Fenton.
Last edited by Frenchy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Fenton Dave Cherry ill and pilled out
royc
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum