Edinburgh Vs Kings

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Good start.

Socino looks a different player.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Very good half, Fowles is playing very well so far, also Fife and Hickey, in fact the whole backline looks chalk and cheese from the usual fayre.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 pm

First good application from all. Going for the TBP rather than knocking the ball out at HT good to see.

Sutherland in particular looks to be working hard as is Crosbie.

Need to keep the ball a bit better and try and avoid the niggle and the Lacey.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Ritchie seems to do a hell of a lot of work, and I suspect I'm only noticing a fraction of it.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Good start.

Socino looks a different player.

Only because he's grown his hair longer. He's still missing tackles and offering little in attack. Unless I've been watching the wrong game.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Charlie Shiel looked entirely at home when he came on.

Sutherland looks to be getting his form back after that Terri le spell of injuries.

MacKenzie looked like he'd never been away, also great to see Fenton back, need them both around during the six nations.

CHH starting to look very comfortable in the team

Crosbie looks like he's going to be a bit of a beast. Miller looking good too.

Taylor was solid, no mistakes, did what was asked of him.

Graham seems to be PaulHoniss of nothing.

Great result, although after three tries in the first ten minutes I was hoping for 50+
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm

A great result from the side on the park, I thought all made a good effort, some in uncharted territory, could have been a better score if the wee through kicks had got past the defenders. Cockers was on the big screen at the final whistle scowling? Did he have a bet on for a bigger score? :lol:
Sheil played quick ball that had me caught out a couple of times but good to see, returning players all looked sharp, roll on next week.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Aye was impressed with Sheils passing and the composure to put Fenton in. Thought some of Fowles box kicking highlighted how good Pyrgos is in that respect but otherwise pretty decent made a couple of nice breaks.

Back row has so much strength at present we really are spoilt.

Thought Berghan was very good and Ford looked up for it apart from the one total miss-timed line out was pretty good.

Great to have Mckenzie back and play the 80 brings a bit of calm and strong leadership.

All in decent shift, room to improve as always, but we have made much harder work of similar matches in the past. Second in conference and playing with confidence good start to 2019.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm

Nice performance. Got miles in the legs for the returning players and food performances from the young lads. All good.

Did Crosbie pack down at 8 once Mata went off? Thought I saw him pick from the base.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 pm

Yes Crosbie went to 8, I think Ritchie maybe switched to openside and Miller to 6.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:49 pm

The kings are dreadful so it was important that we smashed them.

It was important that Shiel, Taylor, Miller and Fenton all looked very strong. Very good indeed, great performances from the rookies.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:06 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Yes Crosbie went to 8, I think Ritchie maybe switched to openside and Miller to 6.

I thought Miller would have gone openside. He’s got serious gas for a big lad. Crosbie was immense. What a prospect he is.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 am

Lots of positives from that one. We played a fast-paced game and blew them away in the opening 10 minutes. Our backs looked sharp and inventive, and we showed we can play a different type of game from the one adopted against Glasgow. After the initial burst we struggled to maintain possession, mostly by giving away too many penalties, but finished the half strongly. Second half we were always in control, and could have scored more than we did. The Kings showed some nice handling at times, but otherwise offered little. It has to be difficult not having a game for a month, I think most teams would struggle a bit with that.

He gets a lot of flack on here, but Fowles showed he is a decent player last night. Some will say it was only the King's, but his service is faster than Pyrgos' and that really helped our game plan. His box kicking wasn't that great, and that needs improving, but he gets the ball into the 10's hands quickly which creates attacking opportunities. Shiel looked good too, with a nice, quick pass on him. Like someone else noted, Socino seems to be coming onto a game, having shown very little so far. It was interesting that he acted as first receiver quite a lot; maybe that was to keep the defence guessing, and he played that role well. It also showed that our attacking tactics in the back line are developing.

Up to second in the conference,, and a good night's work all round.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 am

Typically I managed to miss this game.

Sounds like a great result and performance though, what a difference bringing young players into a team playing with confifdemce and winning. Hopefully Crosbie, Shiel and Taylor will continue to grow during the 6n and be ready to fight for a starting spot next year. Although arguably Crosbie is already there.

Just to caveat in that it was pretty poor opposition and we will unlikely have an easier game this year.

Hopefully we can retain the guys we want to this summer and add a few new faces to keep the momentum going, Glasgow are in a tricky place now and we need to be competing in the play offs etc.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Some chaps near us were getting chants going.

I nearly dropped my Werthers.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum