Edinburgh Vs Kings

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:32 pm

After fielding pretty much the same team and putting in some very good performances over the last 4 weeks, this game presents an interesting challenge for us. Rightly, everyone expects us to win, and to do so convincingly. I'm sure we would, if we were fielding our strongest team. But it looks likely that we'll be fielding a much changed side, and that hasn't gone so well for us to date. Perhaps we'll see fewer changes than expected, particularly in the backs. Our pack probably need a bit of a break, but we can't risk losing this game, so I expect some will have to play, even if only for part of the game. Not an easy one for those selecting the team.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 pm

I think in the forwards we have a bit of depth and can change almost the entire front and back rows and still be competitive, second row is a challenge, scrum half we have no depth at all and outside that we are pretty threadbare.

A backline of

Fowles
Hickey
Brown
Socino
Taylor
An other
Fife

Could give me the fear. A pack of...

Dell
Ford
Berghan
Chh
An other
Hamilton
Ritchie
Crosbie

Would not be a disaster.but would be a risk. Playing the daggers at the worst time really as they will be well rested with no Euro games to play.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Really difficult one as we need to rest key players but still win. More importantly, as the table is getting tight, we need to win with a bonus point.

Hope some of the injured have recovered to boost the squad
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Just realised this is an evening KO, need to cancel dinner/drinks plans now, AlanLewis, and might have to go sfternoon shopping instead. :x
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 pm

Hopefully we may see some of our long term injuries come back across the next batch of league games Mckenzie may be ready for Kings. Marfo and sutherland should also be available and eager to get game time as well as McCallum who really needs some minutes.

Barclay was due back in the new year so hopefully not far away. I really hope Scott and especially carmichael recover from their head injuries soon as well and get some game time ahead of 6N.

Backs are a concern particularly centre and back 3 we don't have depth without injuries nevermind with both Scott and Bennett currently unavailable.

We don't have the depth of talent to rest everyone at once so would be good to have some back.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 am

It's bizarre the only win of the King's season has been Glasgow. They are garbage and our second string should take care of them, can't imagine their players will much fancy a cold January night in Scotland either.

However, our second string should've handled Zebre and the Dragons and we know what happened there.

I'd genuinely be interested to know when Scotland players qualified for the rest periods. It's never well explained as I doubt Pyrgos can be considered a core Scotland international.

Therefore my team would be: Dell, Cherry, Berghan, Hunter-Hill, McKenzie (off the injury list), Crosbie, Miller, Hamilton, Pyrgos, vdW, vdM, Socino, Taylor, Fife, Graham.

Bench: Ford, Sutherland, McCallum, Hodgson, Mata, Fowles, Hickey, Johnston.

I'm guessing Dean is injured. Johnston has been solid this season but I'd like to see if Taylor given another chance. Mata as a break glass in case of emergency. If Shiel doesn't get on the bench here I don't think he ever will.

I'd also like to see Fenton back and if he's good. The lack of quality young hookers in Scotland is a concern. Dave Cherry will be competing with Jake Kerr and Grant Stewart for the Scotland bench week one of the six nations! Wrap Rambo in cotton wool.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's bizarre the only win of the King's season has been Glasgow. They are garbage and our second string should take care of them, can't imagine their players will much fancy a cold January night in Scotland either.

However, our second string should've handled Zebre and the Dragons and we know what happened there.

I'd genuinely be interested to know when Scotland players qualified for the rest periods. It's never well explained as I doubt Pyrgos can be considered a core Scotland international.

Therefore my team would be: Dell, Cherry, Berghan, Hunter-Hill, McKenzie (off the injury list), Crosbie, Miller, Hamilton, Pyrgos, vdW, vdM, Socino, Taylor, Fife, Graham.

Bench: Ford, Sutherland, McCallum, Hodgson, Mata, Fowles, Hickey, Johnston.

I'm guessing Dean is injured. Johnston has been solid this season but I'd like to see if Taylor given another chance. Mata as a break glass in case of emergency. If Shiel doesn't get on the bench here I don't think he ever will.

I'd also like to see Fenton back and if he's good. The lack of quality young hookers in Scotland is a concern. Dave Cherry will be competing with Jake Kerr and Grant Stewart for the Scotland bench week one of the six nations! Wrap Rambo in cotton wool.

Ritchie is only just back from an injury enforced absence so should be available. Also hopeful of Scott being available but not sure what the recent reports were on his status. Would like to see McCallum get some more game time.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Probably close to the mark but pretty sure Mata will be in cotton wool for Toulon. Tom Brown likely to fit in at least on the bench I imagine.
Yes Macallum is in danger of being the forgotten man suddenly as he can't get in the 23 for anyone at all virtually in the past two months (and not aware of him having any exposure to the Premiership either)-and yet widely touted for the World Cup squad because of his versatility on both sides of the front row.Like to see him start-and possibly Sutherland also although Bergham and Nel only got about ten mins each on Saturday so possibly need a longer run out.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 pm

After the happy hunting of the Warriors it’s back to bread and butter points, fringe players need to get a run and so a chance to show what they can do, the first choice scrum needs a break away to be ready for the cup, it could be an interesting squad who may just surprise a few, if they can’t do the needful now when will they? 5 points or bust.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:09 pm

biffer wrote:
Ritchie is only just back from an injury enforced absence so should be available. Also hopeful of Scott being available but not sure what the recent reports were on his status. Would like to see McCallum get some more game time.

Yeah I'm playing Miller because this is exactly the type of game you should be playing youngsters you aren't sure about. Miller only got gametime because of the injuries but Cockers suggested maybe he binned him too soon after Miller played quite well. Time to find out, same with Taylor and Hodgson (maybe Atkinson too).

Ritchie is Scotland's starting 6 if form is to go by (genuinely saddens me wilson has racked up close to 50 caps, he's not good). He doesn't need to play the Kings and we shouldn't need him to either.

We can put out a strong team so sprinkle in the youngsters that might be good enough. Cockers so far has played the youngsters he is sure are good enough, which is great. But we could use fleshing out the depth a bit. Surely Edinburgh should aspire to have local lad Miller in the roster ahead of Nayolo, Shiel apposed to Fowles and Taylor rather than Socino. No doubt those guys are great pros but to build a club I'd rather the locals who wanted to play for Edinburgh/Scotland all their life.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:01 pm

I believe Fenton is back. He has played a couple of club games too. But perhaps Gregor will want Ford to get some game time as back up for the 6n.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:11 pm

I would be quite happy to see Fowles start this game. His service is faster than Pyrgos', and he will enable us to play a quicker game. The tactics adopted against Glasgow worked well, but I think we should be looking to play a faster game against the King's, getting our backs running with ball in hand more. Fowles will enable this to happen.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 am

Try BP win for the boys on Saturday. Glasgow take Rennie's foot out of their DonalCourtney and take down Benetton in Italy. Leinster make amends with a win at home against Ulster and Scarlets beat an improving Dragons side in a tight match with no BP. Embra move to 2nd in the conference ahead of the European weekends. What odds on that outcome? Maybe Glasgow going to find it tough to win away with an eye on the European games the following week?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I would be quite happy to see Fowles start this game. His service is faster than Pyrgos', and he will enable us to play a quicker game. The tactics adopted against Glasgow worked well, but I think we should be looking to play a faster game against the King's, getting our backs running with ball in hand more. Fowles will enable this to happen.

I couldn't disagree more! Fowles is a bit of a headless chicken and has a record of making a number of brain farts in every game he has played. More worryingly is his decision making is very poor and his box kicking erratic. Whilst we would all love to watch our backs play a fast expansive game off a 9 moving the ball fast it just aint going to happen. We haven't got the players nor the off loading game to play a 'Weegies style' game yet.

The value of Pyrgos is executing a gameplan perfectly and making the right decisions almost 100% of the time. He brings control and confidence in the team and releases the ball to the backs at the right times. I would be perfectly happy if we stick to the knitting and play the same game that enabled us to beat the 2nd best team in the league home and away! My worry is I am not sure that Fowles can play the same controlled game that Pyrgos does.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm

I wonder if we'll see Charlie Shiel on the pine this coming weekend? I noticed him on the park at the end of the Scotstoun match in playing gear, rather than civvies, he must have been the travelling reserve scrum half.

I think Socino has played better in recent weeks, he's starting to look like the player I saw with Newcastle last season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum