The rest of the season

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

The rest of the season

Postby disco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 pm

In the race for the playoffs Leinster are uncatchable and Dragons and Kings are propping up the table. That means there are 4 teams (Ulster, Benetton, Scarlets and Edinburgh) fighting for the remaining 2 slots - so I've taken a look at how those sides' schedules for the rest of the season match up:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-88T

Taking into account current form and remaining fixtures I would make Edinburgh slight favourites to finish 2nd and earn a home playoff at Murrayfield. Not going to be easy though and it could come down to how efficient teams are at harvesting bonus points.
Last edited by disco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disco
World Cup Star

Re: The rest of the season

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Essentially every team Edinburgh puts out has to fight like a junk yard dog for every point as the margins are very fine. The 6N period could well be the decider.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Nice summary.

I think the fixtures during the 6N could be crucial. Squad depth, particularly in the forwards could be stretched to breaking point.

In any one fixture there could be: Rambo, Nel, Berghan, Dell, GG, Toolis (perhaps doubtful), Watson, Ritchie and even possibly Cherry missing. It will be a huge ask.

We should just about get by ok but hooker would be a real issue.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Hopefully we have turned the corner results wise so the players know what is possible, but we still need 110% from whomever dons the jersey and get as many BP wins as are possible, maybe other results will favour us too if the rugby gods are smiling on us.
After reading the above article can someone confirm we ARE home on Saturday? It has us away to Kings on the 5th.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Good summary, and yeah we're home this sat.
EWT spoons
International

Postby disco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Hopefully we have turned the corner results wise so the players know what is possible, but we still need 110% from whomever dons the jersey and get as many BP wins as are possible, maybe other results will favour us too if the rugby gods are smiling on us.
After reading the above article can someone confirm we ARE home on Saturday? It has us away to Kings on the 5th.

Apologies my fault for copying and pasting that section! Yeah it's home against the Kings before the European games and then the away game in South Africa after the Champions Cup fixtures.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Interesting read, cheers

but game of 26/27 April has lost its burnt orange? surely an easy 4 pts :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Interesting read, cheers

but game of 26/27 April has lost its burnt orange? surely an easy 4 pts :)

I have you qualified by that point and sending out the Academy side! Glasgow on the other hand may well still be in a battle with Munster after letting them catch up over the last 2 weeks...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Home semi against the Weeg and then a Final in Glasgow. Anyone? :?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:17 pm

You need to win the conference to get a home semi. Second gets a home playoff game and then you're away to the conference winner.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:13 pm

biffer wrote:You need to win the conference to get a home semi. Second gets a home playoff game and then you're away to the conference winner.

Technicalities, home, away is all one to us. :lol:
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 pm

disco wrote:In the race for the playoffs Leinster are uncatchable and Dragons and Kings are propping up the table. That means there are 4 teams (Ulster, Benetton, Scarlets and Edinburgh) fighting for the remaining 2 slots - so I've taken a look at how those sides' schedules for the rest of the season match up:

Taking into account current form and remaining fixtures I would make Edinburgh slight favourites to finish 2nd and earn a home playoff at Murrayfield. Not going to be easy though and it could come down to how efficient teams are at harvesting bonus points.

Did I imagine it or did you change it from Home semi to Home play-off? Had even gone away to check - finish second and we have a home QF v 3rd place in Conf A (Ospreys / Connacht / Cardiff). Win that and we’d be away to Glasgow or Munster.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 pm

New Gunner wrote:
disco wrote:In the race for the playoffs Leinster are uncatchable and Dragons and Kings are propping up the table. That means there are 4 teams (Ulster, Benetton, Scarlets and Edinburgh) fighting for the remaining 2 slots - so I've taken a look at how those sides' schedules for the rest of the season match up:

Did I imagine it or did you change it from Home semi to Home play-off? Had even gone away to check - finish second and we have a home QF v 3rd place in Conf A (Ospreys / Connacht / Cardiff). Win that and we’d be away to Glasgow or Munster.

Yeah wrong terminology at first. The article is clearer! Leinster will take top spot in Conference B at a canter. Edinburgh have 2nd place in their own hands.

Munster have an easier run-in than Glasgow but if the Warriors can stay just out in front in Conference A then both Scottish teams would have a shot at winning the PRO14 title without leaving the country. Edinburgh home playoff at Murrayfield. Semi-final at Scotstoun. Final at Parkhead. Minor issue of one of them having to beat Leinster but we can cross that bridge when we come to it!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:01 am

Great stuff Disco, thanks.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:45 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:
biffer wrote:You need to win the conference to get a home semi. Second gets a home playoff game and then you're away to the conference winner.

Technicalities, home, away is all one to us. :lol:

It is if we get Glasgow :lol: Might have to beat them 3 times at Scotstoun this season. Presumably like the wendyball World Cup, we would get to keep bragging rights for ever after that? :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum