Edinburgh v Montpellier

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Montpellier

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Head coach Richard Cockerill has named an unchanged side for tomorrow night’s winner-takes-all encounter with French galacticos Montpellier in the Heineken Champions Cup at BT Murrayfield (Friday 18 January, kick-off 7.45pm).

Victory would secure what would be the capital side’s first appearance in the knock-out stages of Europe’s premier club rugby competition since 2012. A win would also maintain the team’s unbeaten home record so far this season and extend the club’s winning run to seven games in all competitions.

Should the city’s rugby community turn out in force, then the match could be played out in front of the biggest attendance ever recorded for a European pool match in Scotland.

Adult ticket prices increase by £5 from midnight on Thursday, so supporters are encouraged to secure their tickets today in order to beat the queues and save on matchday prices.

Ahead of the momentous fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We’ve given ourselves the opportunity to finish top of the group and to be at home in the quarter-finals, so I want us to take that opportunity.

“We’re going to go out there, gumshields in, sleeves rolled up and we’re going to get in the middle of it and see where we get to.

“All the pressure will be on them - they’re the A-listers. They’ve won one of their last 13 away European games and that was at Glasgow, but they’ll have expectations to get out of this group.

“I’m going to back ourselves however. They’ve got some great coaches and world class players, but we’re going to do everything we can to win on Friday night, and I believe we can do it if we get it right.”

Cockerill has stuck with the same side that recorded an historic win over Toulon at the Stade Mayol last weekend.

The matchday 23 contains all 12 Edinburgh players named this week in Gregor Townsend’s Scotland squad for the forthcoming Guinness Six Nations.

Try scorers in the South of France last weekend - wing Darcy Graham, fullback Blair Kinghorn and centre James Johnstone - form the spine of a back division that also includes Scotland call-up Chris Dean and South African duo Duhan van der Merwe and Jaco van der Walt. Henry Pyrgos once again partners van der Walt at scrum-half.

Captain Stuart McInally packs down in a formidable front row alongside props Pierre Schoeman and WP Nel, whilst Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist continue their partnership in the second row.

Offload kings Bill Mata and Jamie Ritchie are named in the back-row along with the relentless Hamish Watson.

Edinburgh team to play Montpellier in the Heineken Champions Cup at BT Murrayfield on Friday 18 January (kick-off 7.45pm) – live on BT Sport

15 Blair Kinghorn (76)

14 Darcy Graham (17)
13 James Johnstone (33)
12 Chris Dean (79)
11 Duhan van der Merwe (33)

10 Jaco van der Walt (30)
9 Henry Pyrgos (15)

1 Pierre Schoeman (13)
2 Stuart McInally (132) CAPTAIN
3 WP Nel (127)
4 Ben Toolis (102)
5 Grant Gilchrist (132)
6 Jamie Ritchie (60)
7 Hamish Watson (93)
8 Bill Mata (51)

Substitutes: 16 David Cherry (11), 17 Allan Dell (56), 18 Simon Berghan (61), 19 Fraser McKenzie (107), 20 Luke Crosbie (21), 21 Nathan Fowles (67), 22 Simon Hickey (14), 23 Juan Pablo Socino (13)

Unavailable due to injury: Pietro Ceccarelli, Rory Sutherland, Lewis Carmichael, John Barclay, Magnus Bradbury, Senitiki Nayalo, Luke Hamilton, Matt Scott, Mark Bennett, Damien Hoyland
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Montpellier

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

1 Grégory FICHTEN, 2 Bismarck DU PLESSIS, 3 Jannie DU PLESSIS, 4 Nicolaas Janse VAN RENSBURG, 5 Jacques DU PLESSIS, 6 Fulgence OUEDRAOGO, 7 Yacouba CAMARA, 8 Louis PICAMOLES (Cap.)

9 Ruan PIENAAR, 10 Johan GOOSEN, 11 Henry IMMELMAN, 12 Jan SERFONTEIN, 13 Arthur VINCENT, 14 Jim NAGUSA
15 François STEYN

16 Vincent GIUDICELLI, 17 Ushangi TCHESHVILI, 18 Levan CHILACHAVA, 19 Kélian GALLETIER, 20 Yvan REILHAC,
21 Benoît PAILLAUGUE, 22 Vincent MARTIN, 23 Paul WILLEMSE

Piece of TonySpreadbury again
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Tichtheid wrote:1 Grégory FICHTEN, 2 Bismarck DU PLESSIS, 3 Jannie DU PLESSIS, 4 Nicolaas Janse VAN RENSBURG, 5 Jacques DU PLESSIS, 6 Fulgence OUEDRAOGO, 7 Yacouba CAMARA, 8 Louis PICAMOLES (Cap.)

9 Ruan PIENAAR, 10 Johan GOOSEN, 11 Henry IMMELMAN, 12 Jan SERFONTEIN, 13 Arthur VINCENT, 14 Jim NAGUSA
15 François STEYN

16 Vincent GIUDICELLI, 17 Ushangi TCHESHVILI, 18 Levan CHILACHAVA, 19 Kélian GALLETIER, 20 Yvan REILHAC,

Posted by tichtheid du plessis
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Nadolo running scared of the mighty Darcy G again :roll:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

"Should the city’s rugby community turn out in force, then the match could be played out in front of the biggest attendance ever recorded for a European pool match in Scotland."

Interesting extract from the piece posted by TFG. That would be 36,000 odd we had in for Tolouse the year we went to the semi. Are they even contemplating such numbers for a Friday night game? Surely not!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:58 pm

If you look closely it says "POOL" match.The Toulouse game was a QF.Having said that I think the record may be Edinburgh's pool match in 2012 v London Irish.Anyone know the crowd for that-a figure of about 8.5k is a vague recollection but it may well have been higher.
Our team announcements are not very exciting these days (unlike Glasgow's) as barring injury no chance of any changes in the 23 . Only disappointment was seeing the ref is J.P.Doyle-once again not impressed with his handling of Glasgow's match last weekend.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:00 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

:D

that made me google the positions in Afrikaans and I got more than I bargained for;

I'm either vaskopstut, mothekgigojeng or motshehetsi wa kahare

Правый столб in Russian is quite cool

http://wesclark.com/rrr/positions_by_nation.html
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Getting anxious/excited already, must not peak to soon!

Visit to the respitory clinic later, I’ll need to get something to supercharge the pipes to knock the werthers back into pockets.

I was once ejected from a library for noise, don’t expect that to happen again.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:22 pm

liveinhope wrote:If you look closely it says "POOL" match.The Toulouse game was a QF.Having said that I think the record may be Edinburgh's pool match in 2012 v London Irish.Anyone know the crowd for that-a figure of about 8.5k is a vague recollection but it may well have been higher.
Our team announcements are not very exciting these days (unlike Glasgow's) as barring injury no chance of any changes in the 23 . Only disappointment was seeing the ref is J.P.Doyle-once again not impressed with his handling of Glasgow's match last weekend.

10,892 for the game v London Irish.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

that made me google the positions in Afrikaans and I got more than I bargained for;

For the love of good don't go googling Russian hooker
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

biffer wrote:

Important web-safety tip!

*tries hard to not mention Trump in the same sentence*
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Tichtheid wrote:1 Grégory FICHTEN, 2 Bismarck DU PLESSIS, 3 Jannie DU PLESSIS, 4 Nicolaas Janse VAN RENSBURG, 5 Jacques DU PLESSIS, 6 Fulgence OUEDRAOGO, 7 Yacouba CAMARA, 8 Louis PICAMOLES (Cap.)

15 François STEYN

Again, not quite, but there are a good number in there well beyond their sell by date.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Listen to the voice of experience
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Huge game for Scottish rugby on Friday night so for one week only (possibly!) here's a match preview for Edinburgh v Montpellier with head to heads and key stats:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-89D
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm

liveinhope wrote:If you look closely it says "POOL" match.The Toulouse game was a QF.

Good point well made liveinhope. Sometimes speed reading has it's drawbacks!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum