Edinburgh v Montpellier

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Montpellier

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm

disco wrote:Huge game for Scottish rugby on Friday night so for one week only (possibly!) here's a match preview for Edinburgh v Montpellier with head to heads and key stats:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-89D

Can't disagree with that analysis Disco. Your head-to-heads do show that we have an opportunity to press home our advantage in the forwards, but that needs to be clinical and not reliant upon the cavalry coming off the bench. However, we are also confident that our fitness is up there with the best and Cockers has shown a few times this season that he is willing to hold on making subs to press home the advantage that our first choices have over the opposition second choices. That back row is one of the best in Europe at the moment and will hopefully deliver the performance that they are capable of, though Picamoles is rightly a legend and we have to be wary.

I'm feeling positive and very expectant for tomorrow evening.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Not sure I would take much notice of that pre-match review. Some of the one to one ratings seem bizarre!
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Weegie59 wrote:Not sure I would take much notice of that pre-match review. Some of the one to one ratings seem bizarre!

Well come on, having gone that far it's normal to elaborate and tell us what you see falling into the bizarre and why?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Wottie wrote:
Weegie59 wrote:Not sure I would take much notice of that pre-match review. Some of the one to one ratings seem bizarre!

Well come on, having gone that far it's normal to elaborate and tell us what you see falling into the bizarre and why?

For me the backs are about correct and forwards a bit harsh on McInally (one of the best in the world and Bismarck is old), Watson (one of the best 7s going) and maybe Ritchie.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Wottie wrote:

For me the backs are about correct and forwards a bit harsh on McInally (one of the best in the world and Bismarck is old), Watson (one of the best 7s going) and maybe Ritchie.

I would also add Pyrgos,never been a great fan of Piennar, put him under pressure and he starts to unravel.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 am

Happyto discuss my thinking - I've been a pretty regular poster on this forum for a while now so you can actually talk directly to me if you like...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:44 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Wottie wrote:

I bow to no-one when it comes to my admiration for Rambo - but hear in mind he's onlly about 18 months into this phase of his career of being a top level hooker. Which means I don't think he's at his peak yet. Once he gets there I think we can have the world's best conversation (and I hope the timing works to put him in prime position for a Lions starting jersey in 2.5 years time). BDP set the template for the modern hooker except he's actually built like a front row rather than the converted back row most of the younger guys are! 34 isn't that old for a hooker. One of them on the rise, one declining (from a very high point) so I thought even was a reasonable call.

Camara has been one of the few bright spots for France in recent years. Outstanding physicality whether he's carrying or tackling. It'll be a great battle between these 2. In fact the back row contest could be incredible with the talent on show. Who comes out on top on the night could go a long way to deciding the outcome of the match.

For me one of the keys at 6 is that Ouedraogo has seen and done it all. 320+ top level games. 15th season with Montpellier but still only 32. Still getting the job done. Ritchie's in great form but he's 3rd in line for that 6 shirt for Edinburgh and still learning all the dark arts required to be a really great back row (mind you if he keeps going like he is Barclay might not get a look in and Bradbury may need to be satisfied with understudying for Mata at 8!)

I tried my best! Was maybe concerned about leaning too heavily to the Edinburgh guys having seen more of them in action. Hopefully didn't end up pushing me the other way!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 am

BruceLee wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:For me the backs are about correct and forwards a bit harsh on McInally (one of the best in the world and Bismarck is old), Watson (one of the best 7s going) and maybe Ritchie.

I would also add Pyrgos,never been a great fan of Piennar, put him under pressure and he starts to unravel.

Pienaar maybe had some dodgy moments for South Africa but always seemed to nail it at club level. I used to hate it when Ulster turned up with him in the lineup to play Glasgow as he would invariably slot all his kicks and drag them to victory. Don't think I could be persuaded to change my mind on this one! For me Pienaar is definitely a level above Henry..
disco
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:32 am

disco wrote:
BruceLee wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:For me the backs are about correct and forwards a bit harsh on McInally (one of the best in the world and Bismarck is old), Watson (one of the best 7s going) and maybe Ritchie.

Pienaar maybe had some dodgy moments for South Africa but always seemed to nail it at club level. I used to hate it when Ulster turned up with him in the lineup to play Glasgow as he would invariably slot all his kicks and drag them to victory. Don't think I could be persuaded to change my mind on this one! For me Pienaar is definitely a level above Henry..

This
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 am

Its about 'horses for courses' and who is best fit within the team. Comparing players is difficult at the best of times. For example Pienaar is a better 9 with his all round game and skill set but I would argue that Pyrgos is probably the better 9 playing for us given our game plan and the role we need a 9 to do such as accurate box kicking which I would argue Pyrgos is a master. Not sure we need our 9 to be our kicker given VdW at 10.

Man for man you could argue that Montpellier are better than us and I wouldn't disagree given their experience and track record. However I would have said the same about Toulon. Our strength lies in our team work, work rate, fitness and increasingly our mental strength plus the odd gem in Big Bill and our Back 3. Where we have won big games this year it is because of the unrelentless pressure we put on teams for 80 mins and our desire to win. No matter how good any player in a 1-to-1 match up they will tend to fold under pressure. I get the impression that Cockers has got the team believing that they are as good as any team they line up against and that every players goes out, looks at their oppo number and thinks I'm as good as him and I can beat him!

French teams, with one or two exceptions i.e. Toulouse, have struggled with their fitness and pace of games over the 80 mins in the comp this year. I think the stats still show that in their league the average time the ball is in play between stoppages is about half of the Pro14? We exploited Toulon's lack of fitness when they came to Murrayfeld and targeted their big cumbersome forwards and their inability to get back into the defensive line when defending. We looked for mismatches in midfield or when they had big guys in wide defensive positions and tried to run round them and we need to do the same tonight, running through multiple phases, keeping the ball in play and waiting until their guys slow up and then attack. It will be a bit tight and if we are there or there about with 20mins to play we will win. We just need to avoid penalties that allow them to kick for touch and use their big guys to set up rolling mauls and pick and goes. Fingers crossed.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am

It's hard to argue with anything Disco has in his preview.

I mean you could possibly suggest that Picamoles is better than Mata, purely on experience, but that's possibly personal opinion.

I think I did this for your last preview thing that involved Edinburgh (so I apologise for this), but unless I am mistaken, I don't think Pyrgos is going to be joint captain (or anything of that ilk) for this game.
EWT spoons
International

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 am

EWT spoons wrote:It's hard to argue with anything Disco has in his preview.

I mean you could possibly suggest that Picamoles is better than Mata, purely on experience, but that's possibly personal opinion.

I think I did this for your last preview thing that involved Edinburgh (so I apologise for this), but unless I am mistaken, I don't think Pyrgos is going to be joint captain (or anything of that ilk) for this game.

The only comment I'd make is that probably a lot of the non French are there for the pay cheque first not tonight's rain and snow
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 am

EWT spoons wrote:It's hard to argue with anything Disco has in his preview.

Ta - sorted that now.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 am

disco wrote:
BruceLee wrote:

Agreed, Pienaar is a classy player.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm

On paper they should be beating us, and they won't be lacking motivation. I'd be surprised if the bookie's didn't have them as favourites, so this is going to be a very hard game for us. We are coming into this on great form, and we seem to have real self-belief too, so definitely have a chance. I just hope we don't freeze in the way we did against Cardiff last year, when the occasion seemed to get to us. Should be a fascinating match-up.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum