Caullie Lug 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Caullie Lug 2018/19

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 am

Agree with this, it's up to the supporters club to nominate the candidates, and it should reflect longevity of service to the club as well as performance. Gilco is a genuine candidate, but so should be his partner BBT. Toolis has given us several years of service in the trenches, through the many bad years as well as the few good ones. He plays a lot of games every season, even turning out on the flank against the Dragons this year, when our resources were very stretched. Unless I'm missing a reason why he shouldn't be a contender, he should be included ahead of some of the nominated candidates.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am

Should we instigate another award HERE for a player other than one traditionally considered for the "lug"? ergo, one for the forwards and another for the rest, since service counts here for this award Big Ben or Grant G would be up front in my thoughts.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Should instigate another award HERE for a player other than one traditionally considered for the "lug"? ergo, one for the forwards and another for the rest, since service counts here for this award Big Ben or Grant G would be up front in my thoughts.

100% in agreement on that one.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am

Have Gilchrist and Toolis not won it before?

is it a thing that you can only win it once?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Have Gilchrist and Toolis not won it before?

is it a thing that you can only win it once?

Don't think they have.

Past winners are, I think:

Grant
Ford
Watson
Bresler
Cochrane
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am

Feels like the Lug has been hijacked a bit by ER when there is surely room for both an Edinburgh Rugby fans player of the year award and the Supporters Clubs Caulie lug as it was originally intended for contribution to the jersey over a number of seasons.

I have no issue with the list of candidates for player of the year, all have had strong seasons.

For (the real) Caulie Lug

Toolis
Gilchrist
Nel
McKenzie
Ritchie (maybe? Think this is his 4th or 5th season)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Feels like the Lug has been hijacked a bit by ER when there is surely room for both an Edinburgh Rugby fans player of the year award and the Supporters Clubs Caulie lug as it was originally intended for contribution to the jersey over a number of seasons.

I have no issue with the list of candidates for player of the year, all have had strong seasons.

For (the real) Caulie Lug

Toolis
Gilchrist
Nel
McKenzie
Ritchie (maybe? Think this is his 4th or 5th season)

Ford
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Would have voted for Toolis if had the option.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Agree that Gilchrist and Toolis should be front runners, but Mcinally should be there or there abouts' in this conversation.
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 pm

For me this should be all about effort in an Edinburgh shirt, BBT was a real contender in previous seasons and I wouldn't begrudge him the award, but he's not up for nomination.

The award has become a player of the season thing, like it or lump it, I suppose. Darcy Graham is a decent shout, JJ would be too.
I feel Rambo's best efforts have been with Scotland this season, as have Gilcho's tbh, so that leaves Big Bill or Schoey.

Both of them have been Titans for us, Schoey has really filled Dicko's boots in the tight and that is no mean errr, feat, cough.
Seriously though, Dicko used to lead the entire scrum you could see the timing all came from him and we were really strong with him, Pierre has really taken up that mantle, I love his enthusiasm too, a real club man.

Big Bill, carry after carry, unrelenting, two metres more, one, two more defenders to smash, three, four. Next game, same thing, smash, get us on the front foot.

Sentimentally I'd give it to Fordy, player of the season-wise it's Villiame Mata for me.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:44 pm

bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Will put it up here again:

“The Caullie Lug award is presented to the player who has shown commitment and service to the Club over a number of years as epitomised by Allan 'Chunk' Jacobsen the inaugural winner.”

Would not dispute Darcy's eligibility for player of the season, however not for the Caullie Lug. I see the club have changed the wording for the award to "the player who's shown the most commitment to the jersey throughout the season". They also seem to be awarding it now when it used to be voted for by supporters.

Has this become the club's Player of the Season Award, or is there still another award for that? I'm confused!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Absolutely agree, I dont think the caulie lug was ever intended to be a player of the year award.

No issue with the club, or supporters club having a player of the year, but this just feels like a hijacking and a lack of understanding.

The XVIth Warrior group seem to have a really good relationship with Glasgow and have a real say in things are done. This is in no way a criticism of our supporters club as I know these guys work hard too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Wottie wrote:Will put it up here again:

“The Caullie Lug award is presented to the player who has shown commitment and service to the Club over a number of years as epitomised by Allan 'Chunk' Jacobsen the inaugural winner.”

Would not dispute Darcy's eligibility for player of the season, however not for the Caullie Lug. I see the club have changed the wording for the award to "the player who's shown the most commitment to the jersey throughout the season". They also seem to be awarding it now when it used to be voted for by supporters.

Has this become the club's Player of the Season Award, or is there still another award for that? I'm confused!

Yes this now appears to now be an award made through ER as opposed to the supporters club in the past. There was a fans vote through social media and the ER website for it but I think it was only open from Monday until presume yesterday/this morning.

It now appears to be commitment over a season rather than number of seasons. I think view it as fans player of the season rather than anything else.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm

A back!

I'm outraged.

If it were up to me I'd restrict to the front row.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum