v Kings Saturday 26th 3.15pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

v Kings Saturday 26th 3.15pm

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 pm

Things move on quite so notwithstanding the euphoria of Friday night the next Pro 14 game is on Saturday in South Africa! Judging from previous Edin/Glasgow trips I imagine the squad will be away tonight?

Given the injury to Hamish Watson (and also Ryan Wilson yesterday) Scottish already deplted back row stocks could be even lower I wonder if Crosbie will be called up -as I can't think of anyone else left-but this would have an unfortunate knock on effect for Edinburgh's game.That would only leave Miller and Mata.
I imagine every available squad member left standing will try but there will still need some bolstering either from Academy or Premiership to cover in case of injuries during the week whilst so far away.
Any thoughts on cover-particularly back row and tight head (Ceccarelli injured so only Macallum)?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Re: v Kings Saturday 26th 3.15pm

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:33 pm

There are still a coupleof weeks till the first 6N game, I’d be surprised if Crosbie is called up. Toonie is expecting Denton and Bradbury back by the French game, meanwhile he still has Ritchie, Hardie, Strauss, Ashe, Graham and Skinner to choose from.

Fraz has played at 6 for us before, Wynn could come back in but we are being stretched right enough.

We’ve got Kings next week then the Dragons game is nearly four weeks away, hopefully we’ll see some returns for that one
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Imagine we will have Hamilton back for this one after seeing through his HIA return to play protocols.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There are still a coupleof weeks till the first 6N game, I’d be surprised if Crosbie is called up. Toonie is expecting Denton and Bradbury back by the French game, meanwhile he still has Ritchie, Hardie, Strauss, Ashe, Graham and Skinner to choose from.

Fraz has played at 6 for us before, Wynn could come back in but we are being stretched right enough.

We’ve got Kings next week then the Dragons game is nearly four weeks away, hopefully we’ll see some returns for that one

Actually makes me quite sad we won't see this Edinburgh side for three weeks!

I agree, far better Crosbie plays an actual game than holds tackle bags at Oriam.

My side - Schoeman, Fenton, McCallum, CHH, McKenzie, Crosbie, Miller, Mata, HP, vdW, vdM, Socino, Taylor, Fife, Brown

Marfo, Ford, Pietro, Hodgson, Boyle (?), Shiel, Hickey, JJ
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am

As expected, Crosbie called into the Scotland squad alongside another 3 Warriors. We really need Hamilton back for the trip to the Kings. Hope he has travelled?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

Not good as I suggested yesterday. The last place we needed any more call offs was back row so goodness knows who is travelling for Edinburgh (today?) with only Mata and Miller of the full squad fit. Scotland camp omitted Hamilton due to concussion so doubt he'll travel).
(For info other extra squad inclusions are Dunbar,Harley and Matt Smith. Dunbar needs game time so with Glasgow at home on Friday night suspect he'll be released to play possibly with some others.Possible releases will be no help to us as Edinburgh will be 5000 miles away!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

If GT is expecting Bradbury back for the France game he must be very close to getting a game for Edinburgh now? Bennet, Scott and Barclay also hopefully not far away.

Its a bit of a nightmare scenario, one thing releasing a player to play in the UK, but for a trip to SA there is little chance. For Crosbie to actually play there would need to be quite a few more injuries though, so hopefully they will let him travel.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:If GT is expecting Bradbury back for the France game he must be very close to getting a game for Edinburgh now? Bennet, Scott and Barclay also hopefully not far away.

Its a bit of a nightmare scenario, one thing releasing a player to play in the UK, but for a trip to SA there is little chance. For Crosbie to actually play there would need to be quite a few more injuries though, so hopefully they will let him travel.

Yeah surely Bradbury does not go straight into the Scotland squad having had 3 months or so out. Would be great boost if he was on the bench this week.

At least after the Kings game we have 3 weeks until the next match so Mata, Schoeman etc who have played a lot of late get a decent rest.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 am

If only they could post some pics of the squad departing for SA so we can pore over them to see who is travelling! Sightings of Hamilton and/or Bradbury would be very positive.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:54 pm

I make it just 22 players fit and available for selection, and 4 of these are surplus to requirements (1 centre, 1 standoff, 2 scrummies), so effectively 18 players. So I guess everyone still standing will be on the plane, along with half a dozen additional recruits.

If Ceccarelli is still out, a problem at tighthead, maybe a bit part for Jack Stanley or possibly Duncan Ferguson from the Academy.

Hodgson or Atkinson on the bench as lock cover, maybe Hodgson will have to play in the back row.

Only Mata in the back row, have to hope Hamilton may be back. Will Millar or Mungo Mason be available, as the 7s are playing about now in NZ? Maybe we can get Lewis Wynne again from LS. Or a chance for Darge or Boyle from the Academy.

In the backs, just short of a back 3 reserve, maybe JJ and Taylor to O/C.

We are stretched very thinly indeed.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm

royc wrote:Only Mata in the back row, have to hope Hamilton may be back. Will Millar or Mungo Mason be available, as the 7s are playing about now in NZ? Maybe we can get Lewis Wynne again from LS. Or a chance for Darge or Boyle from the Academy.

Darge is still very young but a bit of a prodigy and not a wee lad. Good opportunity there I think to take him and blood him
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:27 pm

Back three reserve? Should be ok with JJ,Socino and Taylor in the centre (possibly Taylor on bench) with a back three of Fife,Brown and DVDM so Brown can cover FB if an injury and JJ the wing. No doubt need at least one extra back three though to be with the squad so I wonder if Farndale is still available or now wholly tied to the 7's (where he is captain I think)?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Heard a couple of Scotland squad, who are unlikely to play against Italy, may be flying out to SA on Tuesday.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm

This is the side that beat Kings 38-0 a couple of weeks ago

Sutherland, Cherry, Bergs, Fraz, CHH, Ritchie, Crosbie, Mata

Fowles, Hickey, VDM, Socino, Taylor, Graham, Fife

Fordy, Schoey, Ceccerelli, Toolis, Miller, Shiel, VDW, Johnson

I've put in bold the guys above either listed injured or away with Scotland, so, worst case scenario

Schoey, Ford, McCallum, Fraz, CHH, A.N. Other, Miller, Mata

Pyrgos, VDM, VDW, Socino, JJ, Brown, Fife

Fenton, Marfo, A.N. Brother, Hodgson, Who Knows, Shiel, Taylor, Hickey

two backrows and a tighthead short of the full buffet, plus travelling reserves.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Would be a good time for Mungo Mason to reappear. Or Connor Boyle from the 20s - I think Darge is crocked. Even Fraz to 6 with Atkinson on the bench.

I'm annoyed that Crosbie is holding tackle bags and not getting a game tbh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum