Heineken Cup QF v Munster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Heineken Cup QF v Munster

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Quick look on the Munster forum. Talking mainly about their chances in the semi v Sarries, and making two finals v Leinster this season.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
disco wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:I think 50k would be very ambitious, even allowing for 10k travelling fans. The last QF was a mass day out for club rugby supporters and, with Glasgow playing in London, I just don't think we will do much better than match the 38k for Toulouse. Would love to proved wrong of course!

In favour of getting a bigger crowd would be Munster bringing a bigger travelling support than Toulouse would have and Edinburgh being on a massive upswing across the board whereas ahead of the 2012 QF there was a good European campaign but the league was a shambles and crowds were about half of what they are now.

I wonder if Scotland's campaign might have an impact? In 2012 the lead-in to the QF was a 6 Nations whitewash. A stronger campaign this time around might bring more of the casual fans out to play.

50k is definitely ambitious but that's the sort of level they really need to be aiming for when setting the prices and deciding how heavily to promote the game in the coming weeks.

Interesting point. And it's much harder to get tickets for BTM tests, not to mention more expensive. That could have an effect too.

This is a fair point. There’s bound to be folk who couldn’t get a 6n ticket or who weren’t prepared top whack for them but might take the plunge if it’s about the 20-25 mark
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm

New Gunner wrote:Quick look on the Munster forum. Talking mainly about their chances in the semi v Sarries, and making two finals v Leinster this season.

Don’t go their
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 pm

New Gunner wrote:Quick look on the Munster forum. Talking mainly about their chances in the semi v Sarries, and making two finals v Leinster this season.

That's what we want.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:50 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
This is a fair point. There’s bound to be folk who couldn’t get a 6n ticket or who weren’t prepared top whack for them but might take the plunge if it’s about the 20-25 mark

I'm expecting 25 in advance, 30 on the day. 5 for kids.

Not sure if there's regulations on price from competition. I know Sarries were stopped from giving away free tickets at Twickenham.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm

biffer wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

I'm expecting 25 in advance, 30 on the day. 5 for kids.

Not sure if there's regulations on price from competition. I know Sarries were stopped from giving away free tickets at Twickenham.

I think there are some set
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 pm

In 6N press conference Townsend suggesting Barclay may be back for the QF, still quite a few weeks out then.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:In 6N press conference Townsend suggesting Barclay may be back for the QF, still quite a few weeks out then.

Not sure he'll get back into the side in that timescale the way that the guys have all been performing, and Bradbury will be back before him as well. Nice problems to have.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:In 6N press conference Townsend suggesting Barclay may be back for the QF, still quite a few weeks out then.

Not sure he'll get back into the side in that timescale the way that the guys have all been performing, and Bradbury will be back before him as well. Nice problems to have.

The longer he is out the more difficult it will be to phase him back in too as from here on out all our games are must win.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 pm

BBC reporting today Hamish will be out for the entire 6N. Hope he makes it back for Munster in the QF. At least a hand injury won't stop a lot of the fitness work and training I suppose. Fingers crossed. We could do with him in the back row for that one.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Wottie wrote:BBC reporting today Hamish will be out for the entire 6N. Hope he makes it back for Munster in the QF. At least a hand injury won't stop a lot of the fitness work and training I suppose. Fingers crossed. We could do with him in the back row for that one.

He's a big miss, but hopefully we'll have Barclay and Bradbury available for selection by the Munster game
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Fixtures announced

SAT 30 MAR 2019

Edinburgh Rugby Edinburgh Rugby 12:45 (GMT) Munster Rugby Munster Rugby
BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
Channel 4 / Virgin Media / BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

Other games if interested

Saracens Saracens 15:15 (GMT) Glasgow Warriors Glasgow Warriors
Allianz Park, Barnet
BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

Leinster Rugby Leinster Rugby 17:45 (GMT) Ulster Rugby Ulster Rugby
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

SUN 31 MAR 2019

Racing 92 Racing 92 15:15 (BST) Toulouse Toulouse
Paris La Defense Arena, Paris
FR2 / beIN SPORTS / BT Sport
EWT spoons
International

Postby Ayton1keith on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Pity help my work colleagues on the 30th. Bear with a very sore head springs to mind :evil: :evil:
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Time and terrestrial tv not helping to get a big crowd.

Hopefully we can still get there though, the Aviva will likley be full, so we need to go some to have the biggest crowd of the round, but thats whats we should aim for.

6n tickets becoming harder to get should help for those who miss the day out.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Hmm,not an issue for me living with 15 mins of the stadium but frankly 12.45pm is pretty bad timing for a game of this magnitude.Feel we'll lose a number who might have travelled from other parts of Scotland and Glasgow supporters not going south who want to be certain of seeing their match on tv-and with our game finishing only about half an hour before Glasgow kick off (and always possibility of extra time)) not sure if enough pubs nearby to accommodate those wanting to readily see both.
Always been split with two games each on Sat/Sun before. Clearly some clubs prefer the Sat.I wonder if the clocks changing overnight also had some bearing on this?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum