Heineken Cup QF v Munster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Heineken Cup QF v Munster

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Pyrgos as a general rule did not play slow ball for the Weegies. He is playing to orders, and those orders include waiting until the next forward pod is ready. Need successive front foot quick ball rucks to get the defensive line retreating. Otherwise they just keep soaking it up and can realign quicker than we reset. For all their power, Edin pack are in general too often too slow back on feet and round the corner. Also why failed to score with all the pick and goes. And this is not new
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:55 pm

macdone wrote:Some big individual errors from Pyrgos and Schoeman. But it comes down to our lack of tries. We need a new attack coach 100%. 1 try isn't enough.

Pyrgos slap down was a brain fart of the highest order. Is worth watching Murray faffing about with the ball at the base of that ruck trying to buy an offside pen. Too late but if the 9 puts a hand in the ruck and rolls it back, then does not pick it up, then should be a pen for hands in the ruck! Might as well be allowed to "dummy" the pass again.

Schoeman - Cockers telling it like it is. I think Schoeman also cost MacKenzie's YC last week. He is reckless at times. You get a hard edge, and you get the reckless bit as well, its the same edge.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Well, Rory Scannell says it was a dive, and so does Beirne's girlfriend apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmKlKOjuZ0

35/36 minutes.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:51 pm

"All that matters is you took advantage"

Sums up the mentallity, the outcome justifies the means. If the boot had been on the other foot there would have been howls from Ireland. Really leaves a bad taste, but also a lesson for Schoeman that you cant give them to opportunity to do that. It is also possibly a lesson for all of our squad as to the lengths they are prepared to go to to win, it is all that matters for them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gunner_graham on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 pm

KenMavor wrote:
Wottie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Would never have happened if Schoeman didn't barge into him however soft.

The blame ends with Schoeman.

I think that is harsh. 99 times out of 100 nothing happens there. It’s not impacting play as the game has stopped. It wasn’t violent or dangerous it was a mere tap with someone standing his ground as players ran through a contested area of the field. The Oscar winning dive won the penalty, that and a TMO who saw something more on it than all other pundits. Here’s what the guys at Eggchasers thought about the two main incidents (37 mins in)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the ... d5db870c5e

I disagree with this.

If it hadn't been Schoeman it would have been someone else....

I think Beirne went, intentionally, looking for someone to clatter into him and vice versa.
Look at the field position. For sure Schoeman reacted but Bierne knew what he was doing and then played it through the process to milk it for all it was worth.

It was a premeditated to get a penalty. Similar to Hoggs "it's not soccer" event and Niko M milking event. Similar to Andy Haden's 1978 line out dive.

Beirne knew what he wanted and needed to do. He just needed to pick his moment and person and milk it for all it's worth. I think Nigel got suckered on this one......he will be annoyed when he looks back on this one as he usually is pretty hot on these events.

Why? Was he hiding in Gauzere's shorts before being teleported to North London?
gunner_graham
World Cup Star

Postby lenmorangie on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 pm

I’ve eventually got round to watching the recording of the match. For the first try Pyrgos was hovering at the back of the scrum (as a good scrum half should). When Murray picked up the ball Pyrgos HOOKED his passing arm (as a good scrum half should). It wasn’t a knock on. For his pains he was penalised for deliberate knock on and taken out with a blatant judo move which was many times worse than Schuman’s reversed penalty decision which resulted in the second try. I’m mystified and raging.
lenmorangie
Established pro

Postby bignose on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 pm

lenmorangie wrote:I’ve eventually got round to watching the recording of the match. For the first try Pyrgos was hovering at the back of the scrum (as a good scrum half should). When Murray picked up the ball Pyrgos HOOKED his passing arm (as a good scrum half should). It wasn’t a knock on.

I have to disagree with you. His right foot is clearly in front of the ball before Murray lifts it and then his hand makes clear contact with the ball. It's a stonewall penalty, border-line yellow card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aFIwoESSY - 14-16 seconds in.

lenmorangie wrote:For his pains he was penalised for deliberate knock on and taken out with a blatant judo move which was many times worse than Schuman’s reversed penalty decision which resulted in the second try. I’m mystified and raging.

Agreed about the judo throw.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 am

Pyrgos was a definite penalty and possibly a yellow as it is a deliberate slap down.

Totally on board with expecting the refs to make good decisions (Pyrgos being judo thrown, Bierne going down like a sniper got him) but if our two lads hadn't been so absurdly stupid there would be no incident in the 1st place.

Our players can't control the refs but really should be able to avoid those types of incidents.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:42 am

I agree with all the comments above. But Pyrgos biggest mistake was flying out for an interception for their 2nd try and missing.

Regardless of everything, we should have scored 3 tries instead of 1 with the possession and territory we had. It was in our control.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 am

macdone wrote:I agree with all the comments above. But Pyrgos biggest mistake was flying out for an interception for their 2nd try and missing.

Regardless of everything, we should have scored 3 tries instead of 1 with the possession and territory we had. It was in our control.

Although we were all naffed off about getting undone by Munster and some poor decisions, i agree we should have won that match, definately one that will come back to haunt us unless the players learn from the mistakes and move on.Beirne will never admit to being a cheating Barsteward, Murray is a plonk that got away with a cynical foul on Pyrgos its all history and nothing will change that scoreline as disgruntled as all of us are.Have to dust ourselves down and win the next three matches starting on Saturday,come Edinburgh stand up and be counted!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Next season we need to give good doing to get over this.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 am

biffer wrote:Well, Rory Scannell says it was a dive, and so does Beirne's girlfriend apparently.

35/36 minutes.

aye, but Beirne doesn't.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 33117.html

honestly, he'd have been far better just to keep his mouth shut and let it be, rather than look a total liar as well as a cheat.
Then again "honestly" probably is the wrong word to use in connection to Munster. Delighted to see them humped yesterday
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 am

biffer wrote:Well, Rory Scannell says it was a dive, and so does Beirne's girlfriend apparently.

35/36 minutes.

aye, but Beirne doesn't.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 33117.html

honestly, he'd have been far better just to keep his mouth shut and let it be, rather than look a total liar as well as a cheat.
Then again "honestly" probably is the wrong word to use in connection to Munster. Delighted to see them humped yesterday
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Yup, Beirne pretends to be injured and Pyrgos doesn't. That was the game right there!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum