v Dragons Friday 15th Feb 7:35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Dragons Friday 15th Feb 7:35pm

Postby Weegie on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Oh me of little faith!
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 pm

Phew made hard work of that.

Thought pyrgos and Dean made some poor decisions first half but better second.

We really need to get Graham and VDM involved more.

Some good performances, I thought it looked like Crosbie and Bradbury were pushing each other for one Scotland squad place both having good games Bradbury edging it.

Hibbard - LawrenceBryce off you whinging fat pony tailed butter bean did we get through a single stop in play without him chirping in the refs ear.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 pm

I thought Dean was fantastic, as ever. He did throw the intercept pass, but didn't seem to let that get to him, and made several excellent passes later on in similar situations which put people in behind the Dragons defence. One to Graham in particular was lovely.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:38 pm

Frenchy wrote:I thought Dean was fantastic, as ever. He did throw the intercept pass, but didn't seem to let that get to him, and made several excellent passes later on in similar situations which put people in behind the Dragons defence. One to Graham in particular was lovely.

I am a big fan of Dean and perhaps need to watch it again but the intercept was obvious from row Z and I thought forced a few plays unnecessarily first half.

Pyrgos went the wrong way a few times and in the first half the box kick was not as good as usual in the wind so should have changed tactic.

Both much better second half, just felt we should have been out of sight first half but decisions and execution let us down particularly in the backs.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Ross Ford’s best 50 odd minutes for a while, Maggie was immense, JJ very strong early on

I’ll come back to it once I’ve watched it again

Oh, one thing, the straight-off-the-training-paddock attack stuff was about as good as I’ve ever seen from Edinburgh, hats off to Hodge
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 am

Decent performance, although two very soft tries.

We looked like we struggled to lift the pace beyond 2 or 3 phases, but when we did we looked like we would score every time. Forwards were very good and the power in the backrowwas immense.

Backs were more mixed,the intercept seemed in slow motion and was pretty obvious.

One thing that was odd was the lack of subs, we had the game won with 15-20 to go and a chance to get some key guys off but didn't take it. A,so a chance to give Fowles and Hickey a run to build confidence. Thankfully there don't seem to have been many injuries.

We could do with a busload of Socino fans at every game!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:23 am

Enjoyed the game, with lots of enterprising rugby from both sides. Are the Dragons showing some signs of a better future, at long last? We ran out deserved winners after dominating the second half, but they defended manfully and never stopped trying to play attacking rugby when the chance arose.

Even in the first half I thought we played well, but we're just a bit over-casual at times, particularly at 9, 10 & 12. JJ had a very good game, and would be more deserving of a call-up than Dean on that showing. Once he got going, some of Pyrgos' box kicks were excellent, and caused them big problems in a difficult wind. Sometimes we seem over-reliant on box kicks, but the tactic made a lot of sense last night.

Re the lack of substitutions in the backs last night, perhaps Cockers was wanting to give some guys the maximum opportunity to get back up to speed after a 3 week lay off? Did slightly surprise me as well, though.

Anyway, a good win (the only real negative of the night was Ulster winning in Swansea). Ideal preparation for what will be a much tougher game next Saturday
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:04 am

Tichtheid wrote:
Oh, one thing, the straight-off-the-training-paddock attack stuff was about as good as I’ve ever seen from Edinburgh, hats off to Hodge

I think we've been scoring some nice tries off first phase ball throughout the season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am

Good victory in the end. Bradbury was immense.
My concern is how many of the team will be missing for the Cardiff game due to Scotland playing in Paris the same day-remembering Townsend is likely to want a large group of travelling reserves and not just 24th/25th man
My thoughts:
In the 23: Graham,Toolis and Bradbury.
Reserve cover: Cherry (?), Macallum(covers both sides),Pyrgos (G.Horne is still injured) and,possibly,Crosbie.
This will make a difficult game a huge test of our resrve strength.
(Anyone else notice Mata looked to be holding his left arm very stiffly as he went when subbed?)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 am

Would be amazed if Scotland had four players travelling cover for Paris and they were all Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I can only echo what has already been said, is van de merwe SA for rhino? Last night he really seemed on a charge and looked to be roaming about at the back looking for any chance to get in the action. Next weeks squad could be calling for players out of the crowd, we may be left very short by Toonie for sanother must win game.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am

Wottie wrote:Bizarrely, the only weakness in that starting line up is at full back. Not sure what's up with Fife this season but he has really struggled to find any form whether it be at 15 or on the wing. Hope he can find something in his locker tonight and kick on for the rest of the season or I fear he will be on his way.

Much better from Fife on Friday. Looked dangerous coming forward and to my recollection, no errors of any significance on a tricky, windy night. Good to see.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:I can only echo what has already been said, is van de merwe SA for rhino? Last night he really seemed on a charge and looked to be roaming about at the back looking for any chance to get in the action. Next weeks squad could be calling for players out of the crowd, we may be left very short by Toonie for sanother must win game.

The Scotland squad is getting shorter by the game too to be fair. Midi reporting Finn out of Saturdays game now too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum