Cardiff v Glasgow

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Cardiff v Glasgow

Postby BruceLee on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Really good game to watch, but you have to say Glasgow turned off in the last 5 or 10 minutes and it could have came back to haunt them.Cardiff looked fairly average in the forwards, but they looked really dangerous in the back three.We really have to watch giving away easy ball when kicking on Saturday or an upset might be on the cards,any thoughts?
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Re: Cardiff v Glasgow

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Entertaining end to this weekends games, I really thought Glasgow would have put them to the sword, we will need to be at our best given the selection problems at this time of year although if we can get the ball wide to run at them we should have a good shout?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm

We need to play like it's a cup final next week, I don't know who will be released from Scotland given it's a 6N weekend, which is ludicrous, but there we are.

I'd rather have Leinster and Munster during these schedules, but we always seem to get the sides who lose fewer players to the international windows, or maybe that's my interpretation.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 am

Yeah TH, we’ve also been sent down to SA during the AI’s last season and 6N this season. I hope they spread that around and it’s not the same teams that cop that every year. No surprise we are only one from three going down there.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am

It was a super game to watch for everyone but the defence coaches. Some the defensive alignments were shocking but what a match.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 am

What superb entertainment. A true “defence is optional” match that I’ll be keeping on my server for some time. That break, crash and offload by Turner for the Glasgow’s final try was as good as anything I’ve seen from a hooker. Great that Scotland now have their three best back fully fit (and they can all play back row if needed in emergencies).
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 am

Tbh this is a match that the forwards should be taking it by the scruff of the neck to Cardiff.The kicking from Pyrgos has to be on the money,if they are gathering easily,vary it a bit and ask big questions of their back three.Like the Dragons,they will push the offside law to the limit in their backs, we need to wise up to that and lie a bit deeper to make it a lot more obvious to the officials where they are coming from. I might be wrong,but Cardiff and Ulster seem to have gotten away with this for years. I feel we can win this, no doubt, but it could easily go the other way if we lose concentration.They will come to BTM with their tales up we have to be ready for them.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Some game! Remember next weekend Cardiff barring injury may lose nobody on international duty (possibly Jarrod Evans?) whilst I reckon all/most of Bradbury,Graham,Toolis,Pyrgos,Macallum ,Crosbie and Cherry will be in the Scotland 23 or travelling reserves.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Wottie wrote:What superb entertainment. A true “defence is optional” match that I’ll be keeping on my server for some time. That break, crash and offload by Turner for the Glasgow’s final try was as good as anything I’ve seen from a hooker. Great that Scotland now have their three best back fully fit (and they can all play back row if needed in emergencies).

George Turner is a class act. Makes it even stranger we didn't play him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:17 pm

liveinhope wrote:Some game! Remember next weekend Cardiff barring injury may lose nobody on international duty (possibly Jarrod Evans?) whilst I reckon all/most of Bradbury,Graham,Toolis,Pyrgos,Macallum ,Crosbie and Cherry will be in the Scotland 23 or travelling reserves.

If thats the case, it could be a long night for us.With all of those players missing its going to take an excellent performance to beat a near full strengh Cardiff team, but we are where we are and tbh i reckon Townsend will be in panic mode for the French game,so you could be right with the depletion of the Edinburgh squad.Its a bummer especially at the stage in the season, and who would bet their mortgage on us even beating a poor French side in Paris.The next two matches for us ,barring the Quarter Final, could make or break our season.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Every game is vital now of course. At least we should have a stronger squad available for the Benetton game with no 6N that weekend-and possibly Bennett available?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Can't see Crosbie, cherry or McCallum being away with Scotland not when Bradbury, turner and Fagerson have all played well this weekend. Townsend has consistently gone with the players he knows. Darcy Graham could possibly be in the squad depending on who gets the 12&13 jersey and cover there.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:02 pm

liveinhope wrote:Every game is vital now of course. At least we should have a stronger squad available for the Benetton game with no 6N that weekend-and possibly Bennett available?

True, but Benetton will also get a number of players back. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian national team released a lot of their best players for the game against us, as it's a crucial one for developing the credibility of Italian rugby, probably more important for them than a 6N game at this stage.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Every game is vital now of course. At least we should have a stronger squad available for the Benetton game with no 6N that weekend-and possibly Bennett available?

True, but Benetton will also get a number of players back. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian national team released a lot of their best players for the game against us, as it's a crucial one for developing the credibility of Italian rugby, probably more important for them than a 6N game at this stage.

I think you are probably spot on with this one,especially if Italy are heading for the Wooden spoon; but hopefully its not us; the win in France for Scotland is also a must win match.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Whilst I agree about Cherry every likelihood Macallum could be a travelling reserve (he covers both sides so saves taking two extra props). If the likely backrow v France is Bradbury/Strauss/Ritchie with Graham on bench then travelling cover for backrow between Harley/Hardie/Crosbie I imagine?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum