v Cardiff Sat. 23rd Feb 7.35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Cardiff Sat. 23rd Feb 7.35pm

Postby disco on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

liveinhope wrote:So from last week we'll be missing Graham, Dean,Pyrgos,Toolis and Bradbury! (I trust we still have have Crosbie at least?)
And a good Cardiff team could,barring injury,be the same as nearly beat Glasgow at the death last weekend (possibly Jarrod Evans held back by Wales?)
Going to be very tough to get a win methinks...

Evans is going to start but no Josh Turnbull or Seb Davies according to Cardiff fans on Twitter.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 pm

The squad need to step up, for me the only disappointment of this season has been in international windows.

Players need to take responsibility now and grab opportunities in the first team. Only Darcy Graham I'd say has definitely done so lately.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Scotland international winger, Damien Hoyland, will make his long-awaited return from injury as Edinburgh face Cardiff Blues at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14 tomorrow evening (Saturday 23 February, kick-off 7.35pm).

The inclusion of Hoyland is one of six changes made to the side that defeated Dragons at BT Murrayfield as Edinburgh aim to continue their unbeaten record at home in all competitions this season.

Ahead of the fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We’re missing a few more bodies this week due to international call-ups, but we have a strong desire to win and the capability to do so.

“These games are all important in the run towards the play-offs, so I’m expecting the boys to leave everything out there in order to get the right result.”

In the front-row, prop Pierre Schoeman packs down alongside Pietro Ceccarelli and hooker David Cherry, whilst skipper Fraser McKenzie links-up with Callum-Hunter Hill in the second row.

Viliame ‘Big Bill’ Mata anchors a back-row featuring Ally Miller and openside flanker, Luke Crosbie.

Nathan Fowles and Jaco van der Walt will pull the strings at half-back, while last week’s double try scorer James Johnstone lines up alongside Juan Pablo Socino in the midfield.

Recent Scotland call-up Dougie Fife has been released by the national squad to start at full-back and is joined by wingers Duhan van der Merwe and Hoyland.

The capital side also welcomes back Mark Bennett who is named amongst the replacements - the centre has been sidelined due to injury since the game against Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium in September last year.

Edinburgh team to face Cardiff Blues at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14 on Saturday 23 February (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports 2

15. Dougie Fife (121)
14. Damien Hoyland (58)
13. James Johnstone (36)
12. Juan Pablo Socino (15)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (35)
10. Jaco van der Walt (33)
9. Nathan Fowles (69)

1. Pierre Schoeman (16)
2. David Cherry (14)
3. Pietro Ceccarelli (8)
4. Fraser McKenzie (110) CAPTAIN
5. Callum Hunter-Hill (13)
6. Ally Miller (6)
7. Luke Crosbie (24)
8. Viliame Mata (54)

Replacements: 16 Ross Ford (192), 17 Rory Sutherland (72), 18 Murray McCallum (48), 19 Jamie Hodgson (4), 20 Senitiki Nayalo (1), 21 Charlie Shiel (1), 22 Simon Hickey (15), 23 Mark Bennett (14)

Unavailable due to injury: WP Nel, Lewis Carmichael, John Barclay, Hamish Watson, Luke Hamilton, Matt Scott

Unavailable due to international selection: Simon Berghan, Magnus Bradbury, Chris Dean, Allan Dell, Grant Gilchrist, Darcy Graham, Blair Kinghorn, Stuart McInally, Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Hoyland starting, Bennett on bench great to see them back
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Cardiff

Rhys Carré will make his first Guinness PRO14 start as Cardiff Blues travel to the Scottish capital to take on Edinburgh on Saturday

The promising loosehead prop has made seven Championship appearances from the bench this season and made an impact as a replacement during last week's defeat to Glasgow Warriors at the Arms Park.

Carré is one of five changes made for the trip to BT Murrayfield, with head coach John Mulvihill making four of those changes in the pack.

Hooker Liam Belcher also makes his first PRO14 start for the region, joining Carré and Moldovan international, Dmitri Arhip, in the front row.

George Earle is re-introduced to the second row, while Cardiff Blues academy's Shane Lewis-Hughes replaces Josh Turnbull in the number six jersey.

Elsewhere, Willis Halaholo is reunited with Rey Lee-Lo in the midfield in an otherwise unchanged backline.

Kristian Dacey is ruled out of the clash, with number eight Nick Williams taking over the captaincy duties in his absence.

Thirteen of the match-day 23 have progressed through the Blues academy and Mulvihill has been delighted with the progression of his young guns, particularly in-form wings, Owen Lane and Aled Summerhill, have scored five tries each in their last four appearances.

Mulvihill said: "We're bringing through a lot of the younger crew this season. There was always going to be a change in the guard but it's probably happened a little bit earlier than we first anticipated.

"If you give young people an opportunity, and they take it, you have to reward them. The only way to build experience is to give them opportunity and see how they go.

"I don't want to be a coach who can't pick a player because they haven't got the experience.

"I told Owen [Lane] that he really needs to back himself, and he's really spurred on in recent weeks, and it's been great to see Aled Summerhill doing the same.

"If you're one of the other wings in the squad, then it will be tough to get back in because those boys are playing really well."

Wales' Capital Region are currently four-points adrift of the top three with six regular season fixtures remaining and Muvihill expects a formidable physical challenge against the Scots.

He added: "Richard Cockerill will have them primed as a very physical team, and that's in his DNA," said the head coach.

"We're expecting a strong set-piece, a lot of physicality but they've also got good backs and run a lot of inside balls so they'll keep testing our defence.

"It would be nice to win on the road before facing the Kings at home. Those games will set us up nicely before we play a run of Scarlets, Munster, Connacht and Ospreys.

"We're still in the mix with a few games to go, but we know that we're in a really strong Conference."

Wing Jason Harries returns from a foot injury to take his place on the bench and could feature against his former side.

Replacements Corey Domachowski and Alun Lawrence are rewarded for their fine form for Pontypridd in recent weeks, as the latter could make his Championship debut for the region.

Cardiff Blues: Matthew Morgan; Owen Lane, Rey Lee-Lo, Willis Halaholo, Aled Summerhill; Jarrod Evans, Lloyd Williams; Rhys Carré, Liam Belcher, Dmitri Arhip, George Earle, Rory Thornton, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Olly Robinson, Nick Williams (capt.)

Replacement: Ethan Lewis, Corey Domachowski, Scott Andrews, Macauley Cook, Alun Lawrence, Dane Blacker, Steven Shingler, Jason Harries
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm

The unavailables list only highlights just how many we're missing.

Dell, McInally, Nel, Glichrist, Toolis, Barclay, Ritchie, Watson
Pyrgos, (10), (Wing), Dean, Scott, Graham, Kinghorn

sub, sub, Berghan, Carmichael, Bradbury, sub, sub

Basis of a very strong team.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Don't know what to make of their side. Two front rows making their first start plus an academy player at Blindside. Nick Williams will have about twenty decent minutes in him before age / fitness catches up. Backline looked good against Glasgow but if they don't have the ball, what can they do.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:37 pm

biffer wrote:Don't know what to make of their side. Two front rows making their first start plus an academy player at Blindside. Nick Williams will have about twenty decent minutes in him before age / fitness catches up. Backline looked good against Glasgow but if they don't have the ball, what can they do.

Their away form hasn’t been great, sounds familiar, they’ve won 3/12 away from home this season.

Considering who we don’t have available I’m reasonably happy with the team. They will want to chuck it about, Morgan will slice open any defensive lapses in concentration, but equally he doesn’t like players running at him.

If we can play our normal game plan, win the territory and possession, we should be okay.

I think Fordy is a bit unlucky to be benching this week, he had a good run out last time.

The official site says that Nayalo has played for us already, but I can’t recall when it was, any ideas anyone?

Edit, I’ve looked it up, he came off the bench in that tonking by Munster, I’d tried to erase that game from my memory
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 pm

It never ceases to surprise me how Cockers manages to keep assembling pretty credible teams out of who's not on international duty or in the sick bay! The team is just about every available hand on deck, bar 6 who are the very last line of cover and it still looks a pretty good side.

Great to have Crosbie available, I bet that was a bit of an arm-wrestle with Toonie :roll: . Very fortuitous to have Bennett and Hoyland back and to get Millar from the 7s, they are playing next weekend in the US 7s and have a raft of injuries, so I didn't think we'd see him released.

Hope Shiel gets a decent run-out off the bench, keen to see what he's got, I wasn't paying enough attention to his 26 minutes v Kings. Likewise Nayalo's 23 mins v Munster, hope he's fit and ready because this is going to need a mighty team effort.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Good side considering the unavailables,we should destroy them in the forwards,but i hope Fowles doesnt fluff his box kicking or we could still suffer; they have a good looking set of backs,especially in the back three.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Hoping Dragons can win in Italy now and give us a boost in the league chase.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Hoping Dragons can win in Italy now and give us a boost in the league chase.

Dragons not got a point yet, Benetton has 26 and a 4 try bonus point :(
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Incredible given Benetton's contribution to Italy's 23. Going to be tough next week! (So a real "must win" tonight I feel.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Need to go to France -Scotland coverage now before I get anymore depressed.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:17 pm

How did t hat work out for you?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum