SA scrap 30 cap law

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

SA scrap 30 cap law

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 am

I think this is bad news for us. Would be hard for national selectors not to think Schoeman and Duhan are worth a look at least.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: SA scrap 30 cap law

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 am

To be honest I’m not sure SA will be looking at vdM, besides who they have in the squad at present the Kings have ridiculous wingers, let alone the other sides and the affirmative action selection policy is still there.
Btw, did you see the Bulls play last week? The sevens guy on the wing was amazing.

As for Schoey, I think he’s Scottish now. I don’t know him, never met him, but his personality in interviews leads me to think that he is committed to Edinburgh and Scotland. Even if he does go with SA he’ll not leapfrog Kitshoff. Plus he’ll still be with us during the 6N
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:48 am

My view, for what it’s worth, unless they have also scrapped their quota rule, you ain’t going to be seeing blond haired white dude on either of their wings any time soon! Duhan is over half way through his residency period and will be qualified in the close season after the 2019/20 season (VDW is a few months after). I think both would see their best opportunity here. Shoeman is a different case as just starting out on the longer 5 year qualification period so definitely more risk there, but the Saffers do seem to love it here, and the increasing gap between the safety and security experience in each country means many will choose to stay here anyway. I see Piennar’s family didn’t like Montpelier and have moved back to Belfast!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:42 am

Wottie wrote:My view, for what it’s worth, unless they have also scrapped their quota rule, you ain’t going to be seeing blond haired white dude on either of their wings any time soon! Duhan is over half way through his residency period and will be qualified in the close season after the 2019/20 season (VDW is a few months after). I think both would see their best opportunity here. Shoeman is a different case as just starting out on the longer 5 year qualification period so definitely more risk there, but the Saffers do seem to love it here, and the increasing gap between the safety and security experience in each country means many will choose to stay here anyway. I see Piennar’s family didn’t like Montpelier and have moved back to Belfast!

Duhan qualifies effectively 2020 AIs and IIRC must be capped/7s early on or he needs to wait another 2 years.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum