McCallum

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

McCallum

Postby JDCSR on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Noticed some discussion of McCallum in the international forum and thought it was worth a thread.

This time last year I was of the thinking that McCallum would be pushing Berghan and Nel very closely by now for the tighthead shirt and would be a banker for the world cup squad as third choice on both sides as the fifth prop but he seems to have regressed and seen Ceccarelli push him into fourth choice.

I think someone suggested that he'd lost 13kg, I'd find that very worrying if true as he's been listed at 117kg since his under 20 days and it's not often in Scotland that we bring through a full size forward at that age. Unless of course he'd bulked up from 117kg before losing that 13kg. Berghan (116-119kg) and Nel (114kg) both seem to have dropped from 126kg and 120kg respectively and benefited from it but McCallum looked to be in the sweet spot already in regard to set piece bulk and looseplay mobility/dynamism.

Anyway is this just a blip for McCallum and we'll see him push on soon? Is he a tighthead or a loosehead? Has moving between the two positions affected his development?
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum