Benetton 2nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Benetton 2nd March

Postby Weegie on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 am

Reports suggesting Nel and Watson may get game time this weekend. This would a huge boost as I thought they were out for the 6N so getting them back early is a bonus. Heartening reports about Scott and Barclay as well.

If Toolis, Graham, Pyrgos are all back as suggested that'll (almost) make up for losing DvdM.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4880767
Last edited by Weegie on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Re: Bennetton 2nd March

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:45 am

I'll take a punt at a team then

Schoey, Cherry, Nel, Toolis, Fraz, Crosbie, Watson, Mata
Pyrgos, JJ* vdWalt, Dean, Bennett, Graham, Fife

Ford, Sutherland, Ceccerelli, CHH, Miller, Socino, Hoyland*, Fowles

Couple of “ifs” there, if they want to play JJ on the wing and if they want to start Bennett, if they want to play JJ ahead of Hoyland etc
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:51 am

Unfortunately (or maybe fortnatley!) I missed last weeks game. how did Bennet and hoyland look? Both been out for a long time and may take time to find their feet but we really need them back firing asap.

Encouraging re Barclay and Scott, certainly its the first time there has been any public mention of Scott even training, so hopefully he is over it now. Again we really need him at his best, which he was looking like at the start of the season.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Unfortunately (or maybe fortnatley!) I missed last weeks game. how did Bennet and hoyland look? Both been out for a long time and may take time to find their feet but we really need them back firing asap.

Encouraging re Barclay and Scott, certainly its the first time there has been any public mention of Scott even training, so hopefully he is over it now. Again we really need him at his best, which he was looking like at the start of the season.

Bennett got quarter of an hour, halfway through the capitulation, so he didn't really show anything. There were remarks about Hoyland's defence on the match thread, I didn't notice as I couldn't see through my tears.

Hoyland looks decent in attack, he has a ridiculous step on him, he can change direction quicker than anyone I've seen for a while. I don't remember that about him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Agree on possible team except JJ will either start with Bennett on bench or vice versa.No need for Socino in the 23 (!) Looks much stronger than expected-though I suspect Benetton will bring in a few from the Italy 23.
Still no mention of Hamilton's progress with concussion-and I wonder with all the re-signings if he will miss out on a contract renewal given the strength in the back row (if/when all fit!).Be a great pity as he has played well,particularly when there were a number of injuries and he really took a lead going forward.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

liveinhope wrote:Agree on possible team except JJ will either start with Bennett on bench or vice versa.No need for Socino in the 23 (!) Looks much stronger than expected-though I suspect Benetton will bring in a few from the Italy 23.
Still no mention of Hamilton's progress with concussion-and I wonder with all the re-signings if he will miss out on a contract renewal given the strength in the back row (if/when all fit!).Be a great pity as he has played well,particularly when there were a number of injuries and he really took a lead going forward.

If Socino isn't in the 23, who's covering 10?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Apologies-I see that Socino is really listed in place of Hickey who has nearly always been on the bench.No objection to that if JJ,Bennet and Hoyland are also in the 23.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:02 am

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Unfortunately (or maybe fortnatley!) I missed last weeks game. how did Bennet and hoyland look? Both been out for a long time and may take time to find their feet but we really need them back firing asap.

Bennett got quarter of an hour, halfway through the capitulation, so he didn't really show anything. There were remarks about Hoyland's defence on the match thread, I didn't notice as I couldn't see through my tears.

Hoyland looks decent in attack, he has a ridiculous step on him, he can change direction quicker than anyone I've seen for a while. I don't remember that about him.

Bennett only got 15mins and was on the wing had a couple of runs made his tackles, him coming on probably got the biggest cheer of the night. Not sure he would have got more than a few mins at the end had VDM not got injured.

Hoyland as TH said looked sharp in attack no sign he had missed a year through injury and had concerns about stepping taking contact etc. Would say rusty in defence slipped off a couple of tackles although was exposed at times finding himself last man with 2 or more Cardiff players to cover. At one point he shot out the line but then did not make the hit. On reflection he looked like he was the new person in the setup and keen to make an impact, expect he will get better with game time. To me he is the best winger we have behind VDM and Graham.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Benetton 2nd March

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 am

Benetton Rugby v Edinburgh – KO 15.00 (UK time)

Stadio Monigo, Treviso
Referee: George Clancy (IRFU)
AR1: Andrea Piardi (FIR), AR2: Kieran Barry (IRFU)
TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)
Live on DAZN, Premier Sports 2
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Brown
Hoyland
JJ
Dean
Blain
VDW
Pyrgos

Miller
Watson
Crosbie
CHH
McKenzie
Nel
Cherry
Schoeman

Ford, Sutherland, Ceccarelli, Toolis, Nayalo, Fowles, Hickey, Bennett
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Didn't see the Jack Blain selection coming.

Interesting stuff!
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Didn't see the Jack Blain selection coming.

Interesting stuff!

Not saying he aint worth the shot, but I am guessing we are down to only 3 fit (or not with Scotland) back 3 players.

Will be interesting to see how Miller goes at 8 as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Benetton Rugby:
15 Luca Sperandio, 14 Ratuva Tavuyara, 13 Marco Zanon, 12 Alberto Sgarbi (C), 11 Monty Ioane, 10 Ian McKinley, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Toa Halafihi, 7 Giovanni Pettinelli, 6 Marco Lazzaroni, 5 Niccolò Cannone, 4 Irné Herbst, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Tomas Baravalle, 1 Nicola Quaglio.
Substitutes: 16 Hame Faiva, 17 Derrick Appiah, 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Robert Barbieri, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Giorgio Bronzini, 22 Antonio Rizzi, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/03/01/b ... bWSucb9.99

Not many from last week's Italy squad, at least I don't see many McKinley & Joe Pasquali, any more?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:29 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Interesting stuff!

Not saying he aint worth the shot, but I am guessing we are down to only 3 fit (or not with Scotland) back 3 players.

What happened to VdM and Mata?!

Sheesh it's not the team I wanted going to Benneton...

Good luck to Jack Blain though, would be excellent to have a winger come through and spot Graham and Duhan. Fife and Brown don't cut the mustard and we'll see with Hoyland. Big game for Hoyland too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Interesting stuff!

What happened to VdM and Mata?!

Sheesh it's not the team I wanted going to Benneton...

Good luck to Jack Blain though, would be excellent to have a winger come through and spot Graham and Duhan. Fife and Brown don't cut the mustard and we'll see with Hoyland. Big game for Hoyland too.

Mata took a knock last week, not sure what. VdM got a cut to the leg.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum