Benetton 2nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Benetton 2nd March

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Unavailable due to injury: Lewis Carmichael; John Barclay; Luke Hamilton; Viliame Mata; Matt Scott; Dougie Fife; Duhan van der Merwe
Unavailable due to international selection: Simon Berghan; Magnus Bradbury; Allan Dell; Grant Gilchrist; Darcy Graham; Blair Kinghorn; Stuart McInally; Jamie Ritchie
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Benetton Rugby:
15 Luca Sperandio, 14 Ratuva Tavuyara, 13 Marco Zanon, 12 Alberto Sgarbi (C), 11 Monty Ioane, 10 Ian McKinley, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Toa Halafihi, 7 Giovanni Pettinelli, 6 Marco Lazzaroni, 5 Niccolò Cannone, 4 Irné Herbst, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Tomas Baravalle, 1 Nicola Quaglio.
Substitutes: 16 Hame Faiva, 17 Derrick Appiah, 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Robert Barbieri, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Giorgio Bronzini, 22 Antonio Rizzi, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/03/01/b ... bWSucb9.99

Not many from last week's Italy squad, at least I don't see many McKinley & Joe Pasquali, any more?

well those 2 presumably improve the squad that put 50 odd on Drags last week. Its pretty much the same 23 otherwise with a couple of starters and bench swapping places. They are a good side
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Very interested to see how Blain gets on. He's a big lad and him, Kinghorn and VDM would give us a titanic back 3 bigger than some backrows.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Didn't see the Jack Blain selection coming.

Interesting stuff!

Not saying he aint worth the shot, but I am guessing we are down to only 3 fit (or not with Scotland) back 3 players.

Will be interesting to see how Miller goes at 8 as well.

Miller was an 8 coming through the ranks. There are stories that he failed to bulk up when he joined Edinburgh. He then lost weight for the sevens so it's anyone's guess where he is now.

Blain has been very good for the U20s. He seems to have both the size and skills to cut it so it will be good to see how he goes.

Edit, just realised that must be the quickest back row to take the field for Edinburgh. If it gets loose, those guys could cause mayhem.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:38 pm

JDCSR wrote:Very interested to see how Blain gets on. He's a big lad and him, Kinghorn and VDM would give us a titanic back 3 bigger than some backrows.

I have rarely been so excited about seeing a young guy debut. There are some good backs in the U20 and he stands out.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Certainly not the team most were expecting-Fife,Mata and (possibly) Graham-seemed likely to feature given Cockerill's comments during the week.

Been some good reports on Blain throughout the season but a heck of a fixture for the lad to make his debut-and in a very makeshift back three.Still,cometh the hour etc...!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Weegie wrote:Edit, just realised that must be the quickest back row to take the field for Edinburgh. If it gets loose, those guys could cause mayhem.

Almost Australian in approach, three guys who can all play openside. Hope we get a ref who allows a contest over the ball at the breakdown. Who we got BTW, anyone know? We've not had Dan Jones for a while :eek:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Wottie wrote:
Weegie wrote:Edit, just realised that must be the quickest back row to take the field for Edinburgh. If it gets loose, those guys could cause mayhem.

Almost Australian in approach, three guys who can all play openside. Hope we get a ref who allows a contest over the ball at the breakdown. Who we got BTW, anyone know? We've not had Dan Jones for a while :eek:

Clancy
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Clancy

F.e.c.k :!:
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Backs look weak and with Clancy's officiating (I use the term loosely) of the scrum and breakdown then I am afraid I think we will get stuffed! a LBP might be best we can hope for?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 pm

doedin wrote:Backs look weak and with Clancy's officiating (I use the term loosely) of the scrum and breakdown then I am afraid I think we will get stuffed! a LBP might be best we can hope for?

Not hopeful of even getting anywhere near a losing bonus point, 2 of the the back three could let us down defensively, possibly the debutant as well, but hopefully i am proven wrong.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:27 pm

I have very rarely seen Tom Brown let someone down defensively. It's a shame Darcy Graham hasn't been released for this game though.

It will be very challenging but very interesting at the same time. Very hard to predict.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:44 am

germain wrote:
It will be very challenging but very interesting at the same time. Very hard to predict.

Clancy to be at his usual ************ level.

* insert your own choice here.
Going to be a long afternoon I suspect, but fingers crossed I have been wrong before, often.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Really is a huge game this one. Given our very poor form away generally and in particular in Italy for the last 2/3 years this would be tremendous if we could pull it off.
Need a big lead from the experienced hands like Nel,Mackenzie,Watson and Pyrgos.Would certainly help if we could get back to the scrummaging dominance (and a good few scrum penalties!) we've been used to but which was strangely absent last week.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Wottie wrote:

Almost Australian in approach, three guys who can all play openside. Hope we get a ref who allows a contest over the ball at the breakdown. :

as long as its not almost Rob Moffat like
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum