Blair Kinghorn's season over

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Blair Kinghorn's season over

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Had surgery and he's gone for the year. Announced on his Instagram.

Huge blow for the Champions Cup and race for Pro14 playoffs. Huge.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Blair Kinghorn's season over

Postby BruceLee on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Had surgery and he's gone for the year. Announced on his Instagram.

Huge blow for the Champions Cup and race for Pro14 playoffs. Huge.

Pretty much sums up the latter part of our season, but one man doesnt make a team, we can still do well in the Quarter Final , not so sure about the remaining part of the league programme; think we blew that weeks ago!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 pm

One slight positive could be the strength and conditioning he can get done whilst he's off his ankle.

Bradbury talked about bulking up to 115kg whilst injured and he looks more powerful than ever and just as dynamic. Matt Scott also mentioned he'd had to lay off the gym work after hitting 110kg.

Kinghorn has a big rangy frame and I'm sure could carry another stone without losing any of his speed or agility. Judging by the work done with Bradbury as well as Ritchie and Crosbie bulking up I'd back the likes of big Stroker to get the right sort of bulk on him.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 am

Another stone and strength could just help him to be able power through bigger defenders and keeps his running on track when not getting the clear run.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Another stone and strength could just help him to be able power through bigger defenders and keeps his running on track when not getting the clear run.

Possibly help him even more in defence which is arguably more relevant to Kinghorns development, bit more weight to put in the tackle combine that with some better technique.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:21 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Another stone and strength could just help him to be able power through bigger defenders and keeps his running on track when not getting the clear run.

Possibly help him even more in defence which is arguably more relevant to Kinghorns development, bit more weight to put in the tackle combine that with some better technique.

Yeah the extra weight will come anyway as he matures into his frame, he's fifteen stones as it is.

The defensive technique is something he really needs help with, he needs to build confidence. He's often caught flailing about like a young giraffe, unsure as to where he should be.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

come on, as TH says his defence issues are AlanLewis all to do with bulk or strength, all about being in the wrong place and when in the right place being caught flat footed or taking the wrong decision. While he looks as if could carry another 4 or 5 kilos without affecting his pace, extra bulk is more likely to make his ability to get his feet in the right place more rather than less likely, so there is a limit as to how much more bulk is sensible as opposed to possible.

And for all he looks like he could safely carry a bit more, that isn't always possible or sensible for some players
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:52 pm

It is noticeable that with Scotland he has fewer defensive issues on the wing than he does full back. As others have said it is down to positioning.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 pm

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

come on, as TH says his defence issues are AlanLewis all to do with bulk or strength, all about being in the wrong place and when in the right place being caught flat footed or taking the wrong decision. While he looks as if could carry another 4 or 5 kilos without affecting his pace, extra bulk is more likely to make his ability to get his feet in the right place more rather than less likely, so there is a limit as to how much more bulk is sensible as opposed to possible.

And for all he looks like he could safely carry a bit more, that isn't always possible or sensible for some players

Where did I say his defensive issues are down to bulk and strength?

“bit more weight to put in the tackle combine that with some better technique.”

Better tackle technique with greater mass behind it will almost certainly be more effective, rather than slipping off some as he does at present.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Where did I say his defensive issues are down to bulk and strength?

“bit more weight to put in the tackle combine that with some better technique.”

Better tackle technique with greater mass behind it will almost certainly be more effective, rather than slipping off some as he does at present.

"Falling off has for LawrenceBryce all to do with bulk. Get it? Graham rarely falls off. It's called technique, getting your feet and body in the right position, but first and foremost his by far more serious issue is getting his position on the field correct. Bulk won't make his brain or feet work faster or better It's an irrelevance at best, too much bulk would make it worse.

The Stockdale try was sod all to do with bulk, everything to do with being squared up flat footed, instead of showing him the outside and using the touchline as a defender. And sometimes he does even get that close positionally.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Stockdale try? I don't think he can be blamed for that, he was covering it wide and Russell was sweeping. It wa just a very good bit of rugby pushing laws to the limit.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:57 pm

He’s being criticised for broadly the same issues Hogg was at the same age. If he can approach them the same way Hogg has, I’ll be happy.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 pm

I think it was the Josh Adams try where he could have done better.

I really hope he doesn't bulk up. I don't want him ending up like Matt Scott or Craig Joiner and become a basher. It's his pace and skill that make him such a good player.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:26 pm

macdone wrote:I think it was the Josh Adams try where he could have done better.

correction accepted, my bad.

As to the Stockdale one, where was Kinghorn when Stockdale broke through?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 pm

joe soap wrote:
macdone wrote:I think it was the Josh Adams try where he could have done better.

correction accepted, my bad.

As to the Stockdale one, where was Kinghorn when Stockdale broke through?

Think that was a system fault. IIRC it was a ruck off a crash ball from a line out then the wee move?

He was covering the far side with the winger or maybe Finn covering the near side. As Scotland don't use the 9 sweeping (not that Laidlaw is quick enough to) that allowed a great big gap for Stockdale to gallop to the line.

I do think his positioning at full back needs work at that level.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum