Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Just watching the game again and we’re nearly at half time.

Leinster are such a cynical side, the lolloping about at the back of the ruck, interfering with the scrum half, the medics seem to be needed any time the opposition get a bit of momentum going etc.

They are a completely different proposition when the ref isn’t too impressed by the name and referees what actually happens in front of him, like Whitehouse did.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Just watching the game again and we’re nearly at half time.

Leinster are such a cynical side, the lolloping about at the back of the ruck, interfering with the scrum half, the medics seem to be needed any time the opposition get a bit of momentum going etc.

They are a completely different proposition when the ref isn’t too impressed by the name and referees what actually happens in front of him, like Whitehouse did.

Was the Fraz tackle as bad on tv? I was shocked it wasn't a red, was there some mitigation mentioned? Fear we've not heard the last of it, trip to Burton's for some nice biscuits needed I suspect
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:

Was the Fraz tackle as bad on tv? I was shocked it wasn't a red, was there some mitigation mentioned? Fear we've not heard the last of it, trip to Burton's for some nice biscuits needed I suspect

It didn't look great in slow motion. They decided that he landed on his shoulder, but it was close I thought.

Might have been a different decision at the RDS with the crowd baying for a red.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:51 pm

True an away game might have been different, also if it had been Sexton.......

I think he did land on the shoulder though, also it was actually what Schoeman did in tandem which caused the issue, neither player knew the other was there and without the other there ,any not have been an issue, one of those Things. It did look dangerous though and hopefully the guy isn't badly hurt. If it had been Darcy we would have been raging.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:55 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:True an away game might have been different, also if it had been Sexton.......

I think he did land on the shoulder though, also it was actually what Schoeman did in tandem which caused the issue, neither player knew the other was there and without the other there ,any not have been an issue, one of those Things. It did look dangerous though and hopefully the guy isn't badly hurt. If it had been Darcy we would have been raging.

That's what I thought. Fraz hooked the leg but the the sideways impact from Schoo caused it to tip further than it otherwise would have.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:10 pm

biffer wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:True an away game might have been different, also if it had been Sexton.......

That's what I thought. Fraz hooked the leg but the the sideways impact from Schoo caused it to tip further than it otherwise would have.

That was my take at the time, but, rules is rules and the legs did rotate, lucky to get a yellow but some other games it might have been missed.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Is the match, or highlights, available anywhere?
Thanks
KenMavor
International

Postby doedin on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am

Completely agree. Leinster are very very skilful at cheating, the slow rolling away and then running to the opposite side of the breakdown is classic Leinster play. They are really adept at slowing ball down and taking guys out of the game off the ball, at the breakdown, etc. Plus on their own ball they continually go round the side when clearing out to make sure defenders are cleared out of the way for next phase.

However Whitehouse is an excellent ref and saw what was going on and started to penalise them. After a quick warning the foul play seemed to stop which was good to see. Embra really battered them up front for most of the game, most pleasing bit was the defence at the end of the game to stop them scoring a try.

Expect this and more against Munster on Saturday who are probably even more versed in the dark arts!
doedin
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum