Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby The Chiel on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am

BruceLee wrote:
I wont enjoy next week Biffer if we dont take advantage of the fact that we do have quality finishers in our backs and we have to get them involved when the situation arises. There were a number of occasions last night when straight forward backs involvement would have paid dividends

This without the "won't enjoy" bit.
I thought Leinster 2nds didn't bring a huge amount of running rugby but were intensely physical. Not the first time this season that there's been non stop battering at the line with no thought of giving DVDM a one on one out wide - which he would win 9 times out of 10. In fairness I accept the battering went pretty well last night, but not using such a major strike weapon even once isn't wise.

And again not for the first time this season DVDM showed no inclination at all to go looking for work, which is a disappointment. Compare and contact with Darcy Graham.

Still, nice to be having a just a wee whinge after a TBP win over Leinster ! :)
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:14 pm

In fairness to dvdm , on at two least occasions when we were battering away against their line he had come off his wing and was waiting behind the 10/12 gap for some sort of move. Short of joining the rucks and having a pick and go himself there wasn't much more he could do. The plan was clearly to batter it up through the forwards, which for once worked. The backs could have had themselves a nice wee picnic while it was going on in front of them, really. Not the most spectacular thing to watch for us fans, but it was an effective strategy on the night.

What has happened to Matt Scott? He used to be of a relatively normal build, and was a lovely runner who would seem to glide through the opposition. Now he has the build of an upright Jack Russell, and tries to batter his way through like a tank. Ok, given his lengthy lay off it's going to take a while for him to get properly match fit, but my impression last night was that he's lost more than he's gained by his transformation into Robocentre.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:23 pm

I did notice DVDM out on the wing waving to attract attention, but no, the forwards wanted the glory. Darcy got a couple? of runs and made headway to the line, it would be good to keep the defence guessing and thinking”just in case”.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:29 pm

If we win next week by never getting the ball to a shirt with a number higher than nine, I'll still be delighted.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 pm

After the drama of Twickenham last week that really did look like a different sport.
We are consistently the worst side at using the "free play" when holding for a penalty.Why continue to "bash bash bash" and not spread it.Equally the standard of our chip kicks in these situations continues to be abyssymal.Still...great to get the 5 points!
Now,next week.Not sure if Scott or Barclay did enough in my book.I'd be tempted to opt for Dean at centre.Then in the back row quite a conumdrum especially if Ritchie is fit.I'd go for Bradbury at 6 with Ritchie off the bench (Mata and Watson at 8 and 6 being taken as read.)This would leave no place for Barclay. Clearly Cockerill fancies his experience but who do you leave out???
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:I did notice DVDM out on the wing waving to attract attention, but no, the forwards wanted the glory. Darcy got a couple? of runs and made headway to the line, it would be good to keep the defence guessing and thinking”just in case”.

Darcy looks for work, Duhan has no interest in coming in off his wing which at his size isn't good enough.

Fwiw, I'm not sold we have quality backs as they aren't trusted to run and throw a flat pass apparently. I think back to basics our pack Vs yours for the next few games is fine because they are all must must wins.

However in preseason we need a total rethink of how we use the backs. This throw it ten metres back and hope they win a 1 on 1 isn't good. And we'll only lose Pyrgos, one or two of the centres, Graham and Kinghorn for RWC camp so we have the players. But something needs doing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm

liveinhope wrote:After the drama of Twickenham last week that really did look like a different sport.
We are consistently the worst side at using the "free play" when holding for a penalty.Why continue to "bash bash bash" and not spread it.Equally the standard of our chip kicks in these situations continues to be abyssymal.Still...great to get the 5 points!
Now,next week.Not sure if Scott or Barclay did enough in my book.I'd be tempted to opt for Dean at centre.Then in the back row quite a conumdrum especially if Ritchie is fit.I'd go for Bradbury at 6 with Ritchie off the bench (Mata and Watson at 8 and 6 being taken as read.)This would leave no place for Barclay. Clearly Cockerill fancies his experience but who do you leave out???

I am a huge fan of both Vern and Cockers. But their insistence of Scott as a crash ball 12 annoys me so much as Scott is great at running lines and shifts his weight nicely. They're wasting him. Compare what he did at Gloucester (at 13) where he cut up teams to this version of him.

Not good enough from Cockers.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Job done, BP win against Leinster's 2nd team, move on.

It wasn't pretty but we dominated up front for most of the game and did what we needed to. Barclay looked far better than we could have hoped for. Scott a bit rusty but will come onto a game and will get better. No big mistakes of the type that we have been prone to making in previous games and we looked pretty confident throughout. No doubt having the likes of Barclay and Scott on the pitch and a fully fit Watson makes a huge difference.

Next week will be interesting. wIth GC and McInally back we must be able to match or beat most packs - almost same guys battered the English pack last week! Have we enough in the backs to win the game? Hard to tell on that showing last night. The loss of Kinghorn is a major blow but Scott adds more solidity to defence and doesn't make the howlers that Dean is prone to. However we look devoid of ideas in backs at times and suspect we might struggle to break down Munsters defence with running rugby. I think we will try and batter the sh1t out of them using the same game plan.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:What has happened to Matt Scott? He used to be of a relatively normal build, and was a lovely runner who would seem to glide through the opposition. Now he has the build of an upright Jack Russell, and tries to batter his way through like a tank. Ok, given his lengthy lay off it's going to take a while for him to get properly match fit, but my impression last night was that he's lost more than he's gained by his transformation into Robocentre.

Have heard there was an aborted conversion to loose head whilst recovering from concussion issues hence bringing Bhatti in as Dell had been allowed to move.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 pm

To be honest, when Matty packed down at blind side last night I thought he didn’t look out of place and he could do a reverse Vernon!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:09 pm

JDCSR wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:What has happened to Matt Scott? He used to be of a relatively normal build, and was a lovely runner who would seem to glide through the opposition. Now he has the build of an upright Jack Russell, and tries to batter his way through like a tank. Ok, given his lengthy lay off it's going to take a while for him to get properly match fit, but my impression last night was that he's lost more than he's gained by his transformation into Robocentre.

Have heard there was an aborted conversion to loose head whilst recovering from concussion issues hence bringing Bhatti in as Dell had been allowed to move.

very good!
About the same height and at the weight quoted last week I think heavier than Dell. You never know, could explain the Marler like hairdo as well :lol:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:To be honest, when Matty packed down at blind side last night I thought he didn’t look out of place and he could do a reverse Vernon!

wasn't obv he still had the pace and his timing of his runs was always just a bit out - looked like he really needed game time. Didn't do nearly enough to start next week for me
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:17 pm

joe soap wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:To be honest, when Matty packed down at blind side last night I thought he didn’t look out of place and he could do a reverse Vernon!

wasn't obv he still had the pace and his timing of his runs was always just a bit out - looked like he really needed game time. Didn't do nearly enough to start next week for me

It's a waste of Scott's natural ability for him to be a bish bash bosh 12.

Agree Dean should start at 12 next week. It's bizarre they've bulked Scott up so much but not Dean.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rasho on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:19 am

I thought Matt did well. Used him to bash up but he was close to breaking the line a couple of times and was ok with his hands, inc offload. I'd be happy for him to start next week... looked solid, gives something else for their defence to worry about... got a try in him. If we get the ball out to the wingers occasionally it'll stretch their defence more and he's got the class to break through.
Rasho
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:

It's a waste of Scott's natural ability for him to be a bish bash bosh 12.

Agree Dean should start at 12 next week. It's bizarre they've bulked Scott up so much but not Dean.

Scott put on the bulk at Glaws, where he was playing some devastating stuff in the 13 jersey, he hasn't really put on too much since then - a couple or three of kilos tops
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum