Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Frenchy’s post regarding Matt Scott’s road to recovery made me look on twitter and the good news is that he’s in line to play some part in the Leinster game. John Barclay will play too, I would think, but maybe both from the bench.

Who else will we see?

We might get Bergs and hopefully Darcy Graham.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby JDCSR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Assuming that none of the Scotland starters will play and that Mata, Hamilton and VDM are still injured I reckon something like:

Schoeman
Cherry
Ceccarelli
McKenzie
Hunter-Hill
Crosbie
Barclay
Miller

Pyrgos
VDW
Hoyland
Dean
Johnstone
Blain
Brown

Sutherland, Ford, Berghan, Hodgson, Nayolo, Fowles, Hickey, Bennett.

Front row resources remain strong and I like the lock pairing. Backrow will benefit from Barclay assuming he's definitely fit but miss one from Bradbury, Hamilton or Mata at 8.

Think the backs will stay relatively settled, big temptation to have Bennett and/or Scott involved but Dean and Johnstone have a good partnership so need to rush the other two back.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Why are you "assuming" Mata and VDM are still injured?It will be three weeks since the Benetton game which they missed.Educaterd guess or has there been some update on their injuries?
I appreciate Hamilton a different matter as he has bee out a long time with concussion.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm

liveinhope wrote:Why are you "assuming" Mata and VDM are still injured?It will be three weeks since the Benetton game which they missed.Educaterd guess or has there been some update on their injuries?
I appreciate Hamilton a different matter as he has bee out a long time with concussion.

Well if they're fit they're automatic picks and if they're not I've put who I'd see as the alternative, sorry.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:51 pm

I would be inclined to start Bennett with Scott on the bench. Bennett has had some game time already but we need them back and match sharp. We can't afford any more losses and they are two of our top players, good as Dean and JJ have been Bennett and Scott should be better.

I note in the concussion interview Scott is 110kg with his step and ability to cut a line he should be a real weapon once back and match sharp.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Ritchie would be available if fit, and Watson didn't play the whole 6Ns schedule. Neither did Bradbury. There may be some availability from those three.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am

This is a must win from a European qualification perspective. Hopefully the Irish will be sending the kids over post 6N given they are home and dry at the head of the conference. Tough one for any of the returning internationals on a 6 day turnaround. I would say we need Darcy, Bergs to play on Friday. Would have added Hamish to that were it not for the fact we have an inform and rested Ritchie for the 7 jersey. If Scott and Bennett are fit I think we need to start them v Leinster. They are not going to be tested coming off the bench.

Champions Cup Quarters sure are an effective remedy for the post 6N blues aren't they!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:10 am

Tichtheid wrote:Frenchy’s post regarding Matt Scott’s road to recovery made me look on twitter and the good news is that he’s in line to play some part in the Leinster game. John Barclay will play too, I would think, but maybe both from the bench.

Who else will we see?

We might get Bergs and hopefully Darcy Graham.

I think there will be a bounce from Calcutta cup for Edinburgh.....the Edinburgh pack went toe to toe with England and were not found wanting.

Barclay playing his first game should also help the team.

Bergs and Graham should start. I would play Watson as well. Scott and Bennett there as well as Bradbury. The makings of a good team.
KenMavor
International

Postby germain on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 am

Is there any obligation to rest the internationals ?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am

germain wrote:Is there any obligation to rest the internationals ?

SRU will mandate it for some, such as McInally, Gilchrist, Dell, Nel, as they’ve played all games. For some of the others - Watson, Bradbury, Graham, etc, it’s less clear.

I reckon something like

Schoeman, Cherry, Ceccarelli,
MacKenzie, Hunter Hill
Barclay, Mata, Watson
Pyrgos, VdW
VdM, Scott, Johnston, Hoyland
Brown
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:06 am

Bradbury has played 3 internationals in a row having spent 4 months or so out. I think it would be sensible to give him a week off. Particularly with Barclay back fit.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:30 am

Its a difficult balance.We simply have to beat Leinster or the Pro 14 season is finished for us.On the other hand fairly certain they will be putting out a much weakened (though certainly not weak) side with one eye on their Heineken QF and we have the Munster QF to follow and then Scarlets away etc etc. If there is one game to rest some of our 6N players its this one.Hopefully the back row should be adequately covered with Barclay back and perhaps Ritchie (and Hamilton?) fit again.Mata back as wellpresumably.

Be a good test of Cockerill's management how he balances everyone over the next few weeks if we do stay in both competitions.Really every game now is a cup final but he can't play his top team every week.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 pm

liveinhope wrote:Its a difficult balance.We simply have to beat Leinster or the Pro 14 season is finished for us.On the other hand fairly certain they will be putting out a much weakened (though certainly not weak) side with one eye on their Heineken QF and we have the Munster QF to follow and then Scarlets away etc etc. If there is one game to rest some of our 6N players its this one.Hopefully the back row should be adequately covered with Barclay back and perhaps Ritchie (and Hamilton?) fit again.Mata back as wellpresumably.

Be a good test of Cockerill's management how he balances everyone over the next few weeks if we do stay in both competitions.Really every game now is a cup final but he can't play his top team every week.

Personally I think we should be focusing on the QF. Ideally we'd be pushing for the playoffs or better in the league as well, but the knockout stages of the European Cup are the pinnacle of club rugby and we have a great opportunity with being at home.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:49 am

JB will play some part, Gilcho and Rambo rested, everyone else who is fit is available

https://theoffsideline.com/john-barclay ... ter-match/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 am

Tichtheid wrote:JB will play some part, Gilcho and Rambo rested, everyone else who is fit is available

https://theoffsideline.com/john-barclay ... ter-match/

Positive news and a real boost at this stage of the season. I fear we may be getting the likes of Scott, Bradbury and Barclay back is just a couple of games too late to get us into the play offs this season though. Friday a big match in terms of league hopes and momentum going into the QF.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum