Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am

A decent result on Friday may help swell the crowd for the European game too, hopefully all the pool are keen to show the returnees “me too” when it comes to fighting hard for the jersey and a result.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:12 am

Would have thought at the very least Dell could also be rested given he started every 6N match and Sutherland is a very able deputy.Of course he won't start anyway with Schoemann around.
Back row options look fairly amazing and even more so with the suggestion Hamilton will be available in another fortnight.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Edinburgh v Leinster – KO 19.35 BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Premier Sports 2

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU)
AR1: Wayne Davies (WRU), AR2: Rhys Jones (WRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Barclay starts.

Fife
Graham
Johnstone
Scott
VDM
VDW
Pyrgos

Schoeman
Ford
Nel
McKenzie
Toolis
Barclay
Watson
Mata

Fenton
Dell
Berghan
Hunter-Hill
Bradbury
Shiel
Hickey
Dean
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Stronger than expected?
Could be very close to the Munster lineup for next week except for McInally,Gilchrist and the back row (ie how to fit in Ritchie he's fit and Barclay goes well tomorrow.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Ciarán Frawley (10)
14. Fergus McFadden (175)
13. Noel Reid (117)
12. Joe Tomane (9)
11. Barry Daly (33)
10. Ross Byrne (65)
9. Luke McGrath (106)
1. Ed Byrne (38)
2. Seán Cronin (166)
3. Michael Bent (118)
4. Josh Murphy (18)
5. Mick Kearney (48)
6. Rhys Ruddock (156) CAPTAIN
7. Dan Leavy (61)
8. Max Deegan (38)

16. Bryan Byrne (37)
17. Jack McGrath (141)
18. Andrew Porter (48)
19. Jack Dunne (2)
20. Oisín Dowling (2)
21. Nick McCarthy (32)
22. Jimmy O’Brien (5)
23. Conor O’Brien (15)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:40 pm

JJ over Bennett could be called a surprise, but he has been playing very well and with Scott coming in it's good to have a regular outside him.

Fife has been hot and cold this season, we need him at his very best. It's a lot to ask of Scott and Barclay to come in and perform at the top of their games but that is what we need right now.

Great to see Charlie Shiel get the shout in such an important game.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Looks a decent team, great to see Barclay included and Scott back playing again. Leinster are always formidable opponents, but should be a good contest. Looking forward to it.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:JJ over Bennett could be called a surprise, but he has been playing very well and with Scott coming in it's good to have a regular outside him.

I dunno about it being a surprise, Bennett wasn't in amazing form prior to his latest injury so I think it's reasonable that he has to earn a starting place.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:JJ over Bennett could be called a surprise, but he has been playing very well and with Scott coming in it's good to have a regular outside him.

I dunno about it being a surprise, Bennett wasn't in amazing form prior to his latest injury so I think it's reasonable that he has to earn a starting place.

Oh I agree, and that goes for all of them, Scott and Barclay have to prove they are better options than Dean and Ritchie/Bradbury
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:29 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I dunno about it being a surprise, Bennett wasn't in amazing form prior to his latest injury so I think it's reasonable that he has to earn a starting place.

its so long since Bennett, Barclay or Scott played their form when they last did is a bit irrelevant. In fact its totally irrelevant.
They all have to earn a starting place, and all start from the same position. Why apply different criteria to different players? How did Barclay and Scott earn a starting place? Clue -the answer is AlanLewis all to do with form the last time they played
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Looks a decent team, great to see Barclay included and Scott back playing again. Leinster are always formidable opponents,

it is a stronger team than I anticipated, just hope that none are knackered form last week or two. And yes Leinster are always strong, but that said that is a very beatable Leinster team, I think there are actually a couple of duds starting for them. If Whitehouse refs the front rows..............................
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm

liveinhope wrote:Stronger than expected?
Could be very close to the Munster lineup for next week except for McInally,Gilchrist and the back row (ie how to fit in Ritchie he's fit and Barclay goes well tomorrow.)

How about having Barclay, Mata, Watson, Bradbury and Ritchie in the match day squad with Bill / Magnus covering the 2nd row in the case of injury?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 pm

That thought had occurred to me (Mata as 2nd Row cover) and may well be how it pans out for next week.
Re Scott and Barclay staring the problem is there is so little club rugby now if they don't play for Edinburgh they won't get a game at all.And the argument for starting is that if not match fit they can just be taken off rather than knowing when to sub a fitter starter-though I'd be happier that-like Bennett recently-they start on the bench.
Nice to suddenly have such an (apparent) surfeit of riches to choose on in the centre and back row.Hopefully Cockerill will use them over the next few weeks-but without being forced to by injuries.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:44 pm

liveinhope wrote:That thought had occurred to me (Mata as 2nd Row cover) and may well be how it pans out for next week.
Re Scott and Barclay staring the problem is there is so little club rugby now if they don't play for Edinburgh they won't get a game at all.And the argument for starting is that if not match fit they can just be taken off rather than knowing when to sub a fitter starter-though I'd be happier that-like Bennett recently-they start on the bench.
Nice to suddenly have such an (apparent) surfeit of riches to choose on in the centre and back row.Hopefully Cockerill will use them over the next few weeks-but without being forced to by injuries.

I hear Bennett will be starting for Heriots against Currie on Saturday if anyone wants to see how he goes!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum