Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Leinster Friday 22nd March

Postby doedin on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:10 am

Decent looking Embra team and on its day should be strong enough to win. However its a big ask for Barclay and Scott to hit the ground running straight away and I suspect they are there as prep for the Munster game next week. If we get 40 - 50 mins from both I will be happy. Hopefully team gets a bit of a buzz from the England result but its hard to tell which team will turn up there days.

A bit worried about Fife at FB, I thought he was looking good at FB when required but he seems to have gone backwards recently. His positioning seems poor and he has let a lot of kicks bounce rather than being underneath them. Also he seems to slow down when running back ball and is looking for contact rather than the spaces. I worry Leinster will kick to him all game long and he will make mistakes.

It will be interesting to see how the new bigger Scott gets on. I think he said he had to pull back on the gym work once he went over 17st! Hopefully he hasn't lost his pace and timing however he has always run a good line, had good hands and a rugby brain so he will be a big bonus coming back.

Leinster will be well organised, play a structured game and come with a gameplan to focus on our weaknesses, which I think will be to kick behind our back 3 and put pressure on Fife. They will depend heavily upon their 9 and 10 axis to run the game and both are excellent players. I think we need to play more positively, keep ball in hand, go through more phases than we usually do and put pressure on their defence. We need to bring Graham and VdM into the game more but not just be laterally shifting slow ball along the line! We need them coming in and looking for work off our 9 and 10 and through multiple phases. We know they can do it but it depends upon instructions. Are we looking at a solid but safe forward dominated first 40mins then a more expansive second 40?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am

SteveWalsh or bust time now,we have it all to do,Leinster on the other hand can put out a weakened team, they have earned the right to do so.This like all others is a must win game; although tbh the boat sailed for us a few weeks ago with some appalling results,hopefully the team prove me wrong.I know Leinster have strengh in depth, but we should be targetting bonus point wins for our two remaining home league matches,if the shoe was on the other foot with most teams in the league they would exploit home advantage to the full.Come on Edinburgh its time to waken up and give us fans something to really shout about,prior to the big one next Saturday; another one we are more than capable of winning if the right team turns up.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:57 am

After the ups and downs of the 6nations we are back to bread and butter, not a bad squad, if they play togather from the start we can get a result, what we don’t need is to go behind earlyand get disjointed and and begin the blame game amongst the players, we need to be running at them from the start preventing them settling into a pattern, fingers crossed.

Thank goodness I don’t do wendyball, they’re fans must be stunned this morning, how bad can it get.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:46 pm

I could watch Watson handing off defenders all day.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 pm

And no points for either Scarletes or Benetton.Well done 14 man Cardiff for holding off a Scarlets lineout drive (going for a BP try) in the 83rd minute on their line and ripping the ball away effectively saving us a point.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm

liveinhope wrote:And no points for either Scarletes or Benetton..

This is as important as our BP win tonight, it's all still in our own hands.

We have to win at Scarlets next round, Benetton are in Dublin and Ulster at Scotstoun.

We have to keep winning.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Decent performance tonight in what felt a bit of a stop start game.

Will need to be better next week.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Very stop/start game, not helped by the ref merely talking to the Leinster team, surprised he gave the penalty try so quick, but very pleased, also more than 90 seconds at their kick at goal, wings saw next to nothing of ball tonight, felt both wings could have had good run, poor line outs took me back a couple of years, but, 5 points, good nights business.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 pm

In a race with Benetton now I think. They're getting 5 points on the final day against Zebre - but that may be all they get.

2 wins required for Edinburgh against Scarlets and Ulster. I can't see Benetton winning in Dublin 2 years in a row. If they lose at home to Munster then Edinburgh may not need anything (or maybe a BP) in the final round. If Benetton beat Munster it could mean Glasgow don't need anything from the final round - leaving the way open for Edinburgh to get the win they need to stay ahead of the Italians.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Pretty turgid stuff but Leinster came to spoil and to a large degree got away with it. Would be interesting to know how many pens they have away in their 22, it felt like a lot and they just killed momentum at every opportunity.

Can’t help thinking going wide occasionally might have stretched their defence, they knew we were going to batter away and setup narrow. Duhan not touching the ball in the whole game is crazy.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 am

A wins a win,but that was not the best tactics relying too heavily on the forwards.It was like they were on strict instructions to keep the ball away from the backs at all costs. Disappointed that we never really took that game by the scruff of the neck and put a lot more points on a fairly average looking Leinster outfit. Really have to step up next week that display Tonight just wasnt good enough.We got the bonus point win, but most of the match was under par considering the level of opposition.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 am

BruceLee wrote:A wins a win,but that was not the best tactics relying too heavily on the forwards.It was like they were on strict instructions to keep the ball away from the backs at all costs. Disappointed that we never really took that game by the scruff of the neck and put a lot more points on a fairly average looking Leinster outfit. Really have to step up next week that display Tonight just wasnt good enough.We got the bonus point win, but most of the match was under par considering the level of opposition.

If you didn’t like those tactics you’re really not going to enjoy next week.

That was a great win, solid and dominant for most of the game. That team with the addition of McInally, Gilchrist, Ritchie, will be a good looking side next week.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 am

We are going to have to open up a bit next week, I don't think out Munstering Munster will work, and we do have weapons out wide so we need to use them, at the right time.

There were several times last night where Duhan and Darcy had a lot of space and a couple of passes would have put them in but we chose to batter the line. I thought Pyrgos was poor. On the plus side Hickey looked sharp when he came on and the forwards stood up well. It was interesting that Hunter Hill was calling the lineouts when he came on, although after the mixup Ford looked to be having more of a say.

Hopefully Mata is ok, he lookedtohe limping badly when he went off. Scott was ok, certainly looked a big unit but ni real chance to show much else.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am

biffer wrote:
BruceLee wrote:A wins a win,but that was not the best tactics relying too heavily on the forwards.It was like they were on strict instructions to keep the ball away from the backs at all costs. Disappointed that we never really took that game by the scruff of the neck and put a lot more points on a fairly average looking Leinster outfit. Really have to step up next week that display Tonight just wasnt good enough.We got the bonus point win, but most of the match was under par considering the level of opposition.

If you didn’t like those tactics you’re really not going to enjoy next week.

That was a great win, solid and dominant for most of the game. That team with the addition of McInally, Gilchrist, Ritchie, will be a good looking side next week.

I wont enjoy next week Biffer if we dont take advantage of the fact that we do have quality finishers in our backs and we have to get them involved when the situation arises. There were a number of occasions last night when straight forward backs involvement would have paid dividends,ok i know Munster and i do expect an arm wrestle in the forwards next week and we are served well in that department, but Munster can also punish us in the backs,we have to bring a better all round game to the table or we wont win. Hodge has to get our backs attacking when the opportunities arrive, and Macrae has to get our defence firing again at a real top level, if this happens we will beat them!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:We are going to have to open up a bit next week, I don't think out Munstering Munster will work, and we do have weapons out wide so we need to use them, at the right time.

There were several times last night where Duhan and Darcy had a lot of space and a couple of passes would have put them in but we chose to batter the line. I thought Pyrgos was poor. On the plus side Hickey looked sharp when he came on and the forwards stood up well. It was interesting that Hunter Hill was calling the lineouts when he came on, although after the mixup Ford looked to be having more of a say.

Hopefully Mata is ok, he lookedtohe limping badly when he went off. Scott was ok, certainly looked a big unit but ni real chance to show much else.

Yeh hope big Bill is ok and it was good to see Barclay back, especially after the HIA, hopefully VDW is also good for next week.Agreed Hickey looked sharp,and Pyrgos tbh was mince last night.We can do it next week and possibility with results going for us, qualify for the big cup next year,but we really need to get our quality backs involved more.On hindsight a good win last night, but at times it was very frustrating too watch.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum