V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am

No rest for the wicked.

I can’t see many changes from last week, it’s full blast from now on. The only factor would be who has trained better and if we are carrying any knocks.

This is it, our season comes down to this game. I don’t think Scarlets are a better side than Munster, our away form has led to us being in this position, we have to turn that around tomorrow or it’s another disappointing season as an Embra supporter.

Glasgow and Leinster can do us a couple of favours too this weekend.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

Postby BruceLee on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 am

Tichtheid wrote:No rest for the wicked.

I can’t see many changes from last week, it’s full blast from now on. The only factor would be who has trained better and if we are carrying any knocks.

This is it, our season comes down to this game. I don’t think Scarlets are a better side than Munster, our away form has led to us being in this position, we have to turn that around tomorrow or it’s another disappointing season as an Embra supporter.

Glasgow and Leinster can do us a couple of favours too this weekend.

Yes Tichheid we are where we are because of our dire away record and some disgracefully bad results,the time is now to put it right; i would say we are definately at the moment better than the Scarlets, but we have to produce that on the field.This game is SteveWalsh or bust for us i am afraid, tbh we should have had the points in the back weeks ago if it wasnt for our away form.This really is a must win game, if we lose it could be another, famous Edinburgh in Development season once again.Ps i would dump Hodge and get a better attack coach in for next season,if we dont, i could see us discussing the same topic next year once again!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am

Our away form was good in Europe when we had our first choice squads out, I struggle to recall the last league game we played away with a similar strength team (Glasgow at Christmas maybe?), we know our depth is not brilliant in a number of areas so with all the internationals plus injuries clearing up a bit I think we should see a better away performance tomorrow than we have done for a while.

We appear to be able to control territory and possession pretty well against almost all teams, we really need to see a far better reflection of this on the scoreboard. Taking points and building leads might be dull but we just need the win.

A massive match for both Edinburgh and Scarlets, it is what the business end of the season should be about and certainly in our conference there are an interesting few weeks ahead.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 am

Having watched the team all season it appears that we have the ability to win, coaching or the instructions for each game seem to be the problem, no plan b if a doesn’t work? A change of coach/s may be the answer, yet another season in progress is not what we want if it seems we are starting from scratch again rather than building on improvements, Hodge has had a go and he seems to be the cork in the bottle, if he is not the problem we must identify who is and act now.
Roll on Saturday night.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 am

I think we will make a couple of changes, Mata, Watson and Hoyland all looked to be struggling last week in the second half and wouldnt be surprised if all or some of them got a break, we have decent cover in their position.

Would be tempted with Hickey too, its just not looking like VDW is flowing at the moment and hopefully Hickey can spark something.

Either Bennet or Scott to start in the centre too, probably not both though.

We have some huge games coming up and we need to keep the squad fresh, so if there isnt a huge drop off we need to rotate a little.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 am

My problem with blaming Hodge for our predicament is that we are where we are because we have thrown away games from strong winning positions, and unless Hodge is telling the players to do that I'd say the fault lies with the players themselves.

We've lost one league game at home this season, iirc, against Cardiff and we were 14 - 0 up at half time, losing 17-19.
In the first game of the season we had a 5m lineout to beat Ospreys away and we butchered it. The following week we chucked away a good lead against Ulster - we were 23 - 6 up with half an hour to go.
21- 13 up against the Kings with 5 minutes to go.
We started the second half against Zebre, Zebre, 13-3 up and lost 34-16.

The lineups in those games are worth checking because they aren't like the sides we sent to Munster or Dragons, which in themselves weren't too bad on paper.

Paper being an appropriate word.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

Tichtheid wrote:My problem with blaming Hodge for our predicament is that we are where we are because we have thrown away games from strong winning positions, and unless Hodge is telling the players to do that I'd say the fault lies with the players themselves.

My issue with Hodge isn't purely confined to his spell at Edinburgh or indeed the throwing away of games.

The Scottish backs/attack weren't great under him and improved fairly quickly when O'Halloran took over.

He doesn't appear to be improving the backline skill level or the attacking shapes. That isn't all down to him as RC will have some of that responsibility, but after nearly 4 years at the club I think that is long enough to question what he brings to the coaching team. For the amount of ball we have in the opposition half we don't score close to enough points.
Last edited by BigD163 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am

Yes you may be correct, maybe my view is coloured from that season when he was in charge and everything was mince, someone needs to be in control during the game and able to change as the game flows ?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 am

BigD163 wrote:My issue with Hodge isn't purely confined to his spell at Edinburgh or indeed the throwing away of games.

The Scottish backs/attack weren't great under him and improved fairly quickly when O'Halloran took over.

He doesn't appear to be improving the backline skill level or the attacking shapes. That isn't all down to him as RC will have some of that responsibility, but after nearly 4 years at the club I think that is long enough to question what he brings to the coaching team. For the amount of ball we have in the opposition half we don't score close to enough points.

I thought our backs improved immediately when Hodge took over from Solly, but he's not head coach material.
There is obviously a forwards-dominated approach under RC, but he has said often enough that he is looking for a more expansive game plan in the longer term.
My optimism makes me think/hope Cockers is trying to build a truly formidable pack first and he's getting there.

I feel Dean, JJ and vdW have all improved substantially under Hodge's guidance, their running lines, passing and handling are better this season than last (doesn't apply to JJ of course, but I feel he's a better player now than the was at the start of the season). I think Socino and Hickey are worth a bit more time, I didn't see Hickey play before he came to Edinburgh but Socino was very good at Newcastle.

One thing that's been bothering me lately is that last year we played a lot of chips through for vdM to run on to, whether it's the change at scrum half or a change in tactics I don't know, but we haven't used that much if at all this season.

Cocker's is not infallible, obviously, but if he thought he needed a different attack coach I think we'd have one
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Edinburgh team to face Scarlets at Parc y Scarlets in the Guinness PRO14 on Saturday 6 April (kick-off 6.45pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Darcy Graham (21)

14. Damien Hoyland (61)
13. Mark Bennett (17)
12. Chris Dean (85)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (38)

10. Jaco van der Walt (37)
9. Henry Pyrgos (21)

1. Pierre Schoeman (20)
2. Stuart McInally (134) CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (131)
4. Ben Toolis (107)
5. Grant Gilchrist (134)
6. John Barclay (2)
7. Hamish Watson (97)
8. Viliame Mata (57)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (196); 17. Rory Sutherland (73); 18. Simon Berghan (64); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (16) 20. Magnus Bradbury (62); 21. Charlie Shiel (4); 22. Simon Hickey (17); 23. Matt Scott (81)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Really strong Scarlets side

SCARLETS: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny McNicholl, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Dan Jones, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens (capt), Samson Lee, Lewis Rawlins, Steve Cummins, Will Boyde, James Davies, Uzair Cassiem.
Reps: Marc Jones, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, Josh Helps, Josh Macleod, Kieran Hardy, Kieron Fonotia, Ioan Nicholas.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I thought our backs improved immediately when Hodge took over from Solly, but he's not head coach material.
There is obviously a forwards-dominated approach under RC, but he has said often enough that he is looking for a more expansive game plan in the longer term.
My optimism makes me think/hope Cockers is trying to build a truly formidable pack first and he's getting there.

I feel Dean, JJ and vdW have all improved substantially under Hodge's guidance, their running lines, passing and handling are better this season than last (doesn't apply to JJ of course, but I feel he's a better player now than the was at the start of the season). I think Socino and Hickey are worth a bit more time, I didn't see Hickey play before he came to Edinburgh but Socino was very good at Newcastle.

One thing that's been bothering me lately is that last year we played a lot of chips through for vdM to run on to, whether it's the change at scrum half or a change in tactics I don't know, but we haven't used that much if at all this season.

Cocker's is not infallible, obviously, but if he thought he needed a different attack coach I think we'd have one

too much sense in that post for the closed minds
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 pm

BigD163 wrote:The Scottish backs/attack weren't great under him and improved fairly quickly when O'Halloran took over..

how were the Scotland backs when Townsend was Assistant Coach?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Yes you may be correct, maybe my view is coloured from that season when he was in charge and everything was mince, someone needs to be in control during the game and able to change as the game flows ?

so maybe he isn't a head coach, or maybe wasn't then?
he was pushed into that role in the midst of a shambles. 2 seasons recruitment later...............

I'm not particularly defending Hodge, not enough evidence for me either way, but some of the criticism is really prejudice rather than fact. Some criticism looks very much as if if its from folk who didn't want him appointed anywhere anytime and seek to justify that original stance. That isn't particularly aimed at you, general comment.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Really strong Scarlets side

SCARLETS: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny McNicholl, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Dan Jones, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens (capt), Samson Lee, Lewis Rawlins, Steve Cummins, Will Boyde, James Davies, Uzair Cassiem.
Reps: Marc Jones, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, Josh Helps, Josh Macleod, Kieran Hardy, Kieron Fonotia, Ioan Nicholas.

it is. Not the best locks ever, and Cassiem has looked less than fully interested most of this season, so they have weaknesses. Evans on the wing can win the game for either side.

It'll be a tough one, minimising turnovers is the key
joe soap
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum