V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Not the worst result, still all to play for.
Night coach home for Edinburgh!sure a flight or a hotel would have been affordable and better all round.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Good spirit from Benetton, got the draw with a try and conversion after 80 mins

I was willing Owens to make up the rules with regard to the blocking run on the try.

Fair play to Benetton though, takes some cajones to get a result in the red zone at the RDS.

Aye, they showed a lot of what we've been missing this year. Benetton have been really good this season, a very hard pack and some real flair from the backs.

Obviously I hope we get into the big cup, but I'd rather it was at others' expense rather than the Italians, they deserve it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Good win in the end - isn't rugby an easy game when you don't drop the ball and have a dominant pack ? Superb tackle by Berghan to set up the intercept.

Most points already made, but can I repeat my usual whinge about never giving DVDM some quick ball in hand and letting him run at his opposite winger ? Apparently he's quite good at it . . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:14 am

The Chiel wrote:.

Most points already made, but can I repeat my usual whinge about never giving DVDM some quick ball in hand and letting him run at his opposite winger ? Apparently he's quite good at it . . . .

Ach away wi ye mun, why would we want to put one of the most potent attacking players in the league into space?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:27 am

The Chiel wrote:Good win in the end - isn't rugby an easy game when you don't drop the ball and have a dominant pack ? Superb tackle by Berghan to set up the intercept.

Yes we need a couple of centres who can distribute and put people into space. I think that was the idea behind signing Socino but it just hasn't worked for him. We haven't really had that since the days of King and De Luca.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:01 am

Right, a growing theory of mine, and it will probably get shouted down in some quarters, but ...

What does the panel think about swapping Graham and Kinghorn?

Graham is whole hearted in defence and doesn’t suffer the positional indecision that Blair has from time to time, there is nothing to stop Blair coming in at first receiver, the appropriate cover can be arranged.
Kinghorn was deadly on the wing for Scotland, Graham looks very much at home at fullback.

Thoughts?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 am

Clone 7 Darcy's and play him in every position from 9 to 15. Back line problems sorted.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am

Tichtheid wrote:Right, a growing theory of mine, and it will probably get shouted down in some quarters, but ...

Graham is whole hearted in defence and doesn’t suffer the positional indecision that Blair has from time to time, there is nothing to stop Blair coming in at first receiver, the appropriate cover can be arranged.
Kinghorn was deadly on the wing for Scotland, Graham looks very much at home at fullback.

Thoughts?

One factor that could prevent it is that Graham will be going to the RWC as a wing. So all summer and probably up to late October/November he will be focusing on playing wing only. Like all the internationals who should start during the RWC he will need managed back in and then be straight into hopefully the ECC games and important league matches. It will be full on for a young professional.

Kinghorn has shown on the wing at international level that he can defend well. That would suggest his flaws defensively aren't through a lack of heart and effort so should be possible to rectify through coaching and hard work.

Next year will be a test for Graham, teams will know a lot more about his game. It seems that teams are starting to adapt to try and shut down Mata and they will try and work out ways to shut Graham down.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:39 am

I wouldn't have a problem with swapping them. Darcy has that real swagger at the moment, a bit like Hogg he believes he can do anything. Being a miserable sod though, he will go through a rough patch at some point (as Hogg did) and it is how he comes through that which will be telling.

Kinghorn has the ability to play anywhere in the backline, I dont have an issue with him being moved. I dont think we should get too hung up on his defence, it will come. There are very few full backs who excel from the start and are electric in attack, if you look at England they have to choose between Daley who is awesome going forward but questionable in defence, and Brown who is excellent in defence but no real threat going forward. For some reason Alex Goode is invisible.

On the distributing centre, I agree a Horne type would be good for us at the moment, although I think a bit of it comes from having no threat at 9 & 10 which allows defences to drift onto the centres and they have no time.

A fully fit and on form Scott can do that, he has probably got the most complete skillset of any of Scotlands centres, the big question is whether we can keep him fit and on form.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Not the worst result, still all to play for.
Night coach home for Edinburgh!sure a flight or a hotel would have been affordable and better all round.

It could have been better had Leinster put out a full strength team, but they have the luxury of a big squad and an upcoming semi final!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 am

BruceLee wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Not the worst result, still all to play for.

It could have been better had Leinster put out a full strength team, but they have the luxury of a big squad and an upcoming semi final!

Ps cant understand the night bus home either tbh.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:50 am

Dire first half.Second half much better,at least we are still in with a shout,but have to be more clinical with Ulster and definately defend out wide or it will cost us,all in all the rollicking they would get at half time paid off,but we really need a full 80 against both Ulster and Glasgow; bearing in mind Scarlets have a TonySpreadbury easy run in,we dont.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:17 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with swapping them. Darcy has that real swagger at the moment, a bit like Hogg he believes he can do anything. Being a miserable sod though, he will go through a rough patch at some point (as Hogg did) and it is how he comes through that which will be telling.

Kinghorn has the ability to play anywhere in the backline, I dont have an issue with him being moved. I dont think we should get too hung up on his defence, it will come. There are very few full backs who excel from the start and are electric in attack, if you look at England they have to choose between Daley who is awesome going forward but questionable in defence, and Brown who is excellent in defence but no real threat going forward. For some reason Alex Goode is invisible.

On the distributing centre, I agree a Horne type would be good for us at the moment, although I think a bit of it comes from having no threat at 9 & 10 which allows defences to drift onto the centres and they have no time.

A fully fit and on form Scott can do that, he has probably got the most complete skillset of any of Scotlands centres, the big question is whether we can keep him fit and on form.

Sam Johnson has easily the best skillset of the Scottish centres and it's not even close. Then you have Duncan Taylor but not sure if his distribution or ability after his injuries. After that you have a lot of players who are good at one thing but not so good at others.

Scott is okay - I don't think he's much of a distributor. I think Dean actually has a better pass. Both run and good line and carry well. Scott probably edges it in defence as Dean has missed a few too many tackles this year.

No idea how he's going at Nice but it would be great if Cammy Hutchison lives up to his early promise. All our centres are good enough but not great.

Shame Glasgow got Kyle Steyn. He looks very handy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:20 pm

How about we advance the half time bollocking to the pre match pep talk and all I’ll be good :? Is the teams mindset wrong, do they think it’s going to be easy and get caught out.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:43 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Right, a growing theory of mine, and it will probably get shouted down in some quarters, but ...

Thoughts?

One factor that could prevent it is that Graham will be going to the RWC as a wing. So all summer and probably up to late October/November he will be focusing on playing wing only. Like all the internationals who should start during the RWC he will need managed back in and then be straight into hopefully the ECC games and important league matches. It will be full on for a young professional.

Kinghorn has shown on the wing at international level that he can defend well. That would suggest his flaws defensively aren't through a lack of heart and effort so should be possible to rectify through coaching and hard work.

Next year will be a test for Graham, teams will know a lot more about his game. It seems that teams are starting to adapt to try and shut down Mata and they will try and work out ways to shut Graham down.

Which is why the coaching and development is so important. If Mata is the only attacking threat in the forwards he's easily shut down. If you have Mcinally, Watson, Bradbury also running at you then it's difficult to to cover all of the options. It then comes down to on pitch decision making to recognise who is being covered and how we use one of the others. Same true in the backs with Kinghorn, Graham and VdM.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum