V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: V Scarlets Sat 6th April 18:45

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Right, a growing theory of mine, and it will probably get shouted down in some quarters, but ...

What does the panel think about swapping Graham and Kinghorn?

Graham is whole hearted in defence and doesn’t suffer the positional indecision that Blair has from time to time, there is nothing to stop Blair coming in at first receiver, the appropriate cover can be arranged.
Kinghorn was deadly on the wing for Scotland, Graham looks very much at home at fullback.

Thoughts?

Kinghorn is better in attack though, Graham is a better finisher.

I want both popping up in midfield but Kinghorn was electric last year and for the under20s just ripping defences up on the counter.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:22 pm

BruceLee wrote:
BruceLee wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Not the worst result, still all to play for.
Night coach home for Edinburgh!sure a flight or a hotel would have been affordable and better all round.

It could have been better had Leinster put out a full strength team, but they have the luxury of a big squad and an upcoming semi final!

Ps cant understand the night bus home either tbh.

RC and his old school rugby values. Why mollycoddle them, get them home, they can have their day off instead of a travel day, back fresh Monday morning training.
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Once you factor in waiting time at the airport etc., flying from Wales to Edinburgh might only save a couple of hours travel. Given the likely increased cost, it seems quite sensible to get a bus. Perhaps someone in the organisation is worrying about carbon emissions as well.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:
On the distributing centre, I agree a Horne type would be good for us at the moment, although I think a bit of it comes from having no threat at 9 & 10 which allows defences to drift onto the centres and they have no time.

A fully fit and on form Scott can do that, he has probably got the most complete skillset of any of Scotlands centres, the big question is whether we can keep him fit and on form.

Sam Johnson has easily the best skillset of the Scottish centres and it's not even close. Then you have Duncan Taylor but not sure if his distribution or ability after his injuries. After that you have a lot of players who are good at one thing but not so good at others.

Scott is okay - I don't think he's much of a distributor. I think Dean actually has a better pass. Both run and good line and carry well. Scott probably edges it in defence as Dean has missed a few too many tackles this year.

No idea how he's going at Nice but it would be great if Cammy Hutchison lives up to his early promise. All our centres are good enough but not great.

Shame Glasgow got Kyle Steyn. He looks very handy.

We need to start looking to the next generation of Scotland centres and let Socino, Scott and Bennett go IMHO. I guess we will have to wait until contracts run down next year for that.

Stafford McDowall would have been a good addition. Hopefully, like you say, Cammy Hutchinson will do well when he comes back. Aside from that we need to make sure we are at the front of the queue for Rory Hutchinson, Johnny Williams and Fraser Dingwall - all of whom Townsend is looking at. I'm assuming Cam Redpath is a lost cause.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 pm

macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:
On the distributing centre, I agree a Horne type would be good for us at the moment, although I think a bit of it comes from having no threat at 9 & 10 which allows defences to drift onto the centres and they have no time.

A fully fit and on form Scott can do that, he has probably got the most complete skillset of any of Scotlands centres, the big question is whether we can keep him fit and on form.

Sam Johnson has easily the best skillset of the Scottish centres and it's not even close. Then you have Duncan Taylor but not sure if his distribution or ability after his injuries. After that you have a lot of players who are good at one thing but not so good at others.

Scott is okay - I don't think he's much of a distributor. I think Dean actually has a better pass. Both run and good line and carry well. Scott probably edges it in defence as Dean has missed a few too many tackles this year.

No idea how he's going at Nice but it would be great if Cammy Hutchison lives up to his early promise. All our centres are good enough but not great.

Shame Glasgow got Kyle Steyn. He looks very handy.

We need to start looking to the next generation of Scotland centres and let Socino, Scott and Bennett go IMHO. I guess we will have to wait until contracts run down next year for that.

Stafford McDowall would have been a good addition. Hopefully, like you say, Cammy Hutchinson will do well when he comes back. Aside from that we need to make sure we are at the front of the queue for Rory Hutchinson, Johnny Williams and Fraser Dingwall - all of whom Townsend is looking at. I'm assuming Cam Redpath is a lost cause.

Scott was originally a 10 through age grade and before he joined us. He was an excellent 10 and had good hands, good kick and could run a game. Some of us were a bit disappointed that he was converted to a centre. He has all the skills to be a good distributor from inside centre. Also I wouldn't write of Bennet yet, he has had his fair share of injuries but when fit is international standard. He just needs to get fully fit and have some game time under his belt. I still think that with a good pre season that a Scott - Bennet combo in midfield will be top class.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Scott hasn't shown a good distribution game or kicking game in the pros though. Not for a long while if at all.

What someone does at youth level is irrelevant when they're 28.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Is free why someone did 10’yrs ago doesn’t make them worth keeping now.

But... he showing good form at the start of this season and he was excellent for Gloucester. Far too early to be writing him off.

No point binning good players on the off chance that a group of youngsters come good.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is free why someone did 10’yrs ago doesn’t make them worth keeping now.

But... he showing good form at the start of this season and he was excellent for Gloucester. Far too early to be writing him off.

No point binning good players on the off chance that a group of youngsters come good.

Not writing him off at all. He's a good but not great player - I'm not suggesting he should be binned.

His early seasons form and Gloucester form seemed to be the classic Matt Scott good lines, running at weak shoulders. He's being turned into a crash ball 12 Jamie Roberts tribute act which isn't his game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am

I agree thats not his game, he is more than capable of it but he is more than that. He was picked a couple of weeks ago at 13 otside dean so it doesnt look like he is being pigeon holed as a crash ball 12.

Most of his rugby at Gloucester was played at 13, where he was excellent. But he can play both equally well. We will see if he still has the same pace, it is a concern that he has bulked too much, but sounds like he is working on his pace too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:57 am

We're tantalisingly close to a complete reversal on the "Solomons is an idiot for playing Scott at 13" discussions we used to have.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 am

I think more than the personnel at present it is choosing when to use the back line that is the issue. The team appears very bought into the forward carries/box kick strategy which has brought us a little bit of success. While it is easy to say it from the stand/TV when there is space for the backs to attack it feels like we release the ball to them a phase too late, the opposition has covered and reset and the space gone putting pressure on the midfield straight away. I don’t know if that is because forwards have held onto the ball because the field position and game plan dictate they should carry or the 9 has not got the ball out.

As a team I would like to see them play what is in front of them more rather than stick so rigidly to the game plan perhaps that is what we need to evolve to next, as we have seen with some of our turnover or broken field tries we have the strike runners to score from anywhere we need to get them attacking more often and stressing defences through phase play.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 am

Mother of god (being all tv topical) no!

Players shouldn't be allowed to wear numbers on their shirts, if solely to stop forums having meltdowns.

Just to move it along, I think Kinghorn should play 10 next year.

That was quite amusing at the time though, Solly made so many mistakes and that was the one people seemed to get most excited about!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am

Frenchy wrote:We're tantalisingly close to a complete reversal on the "Solomons is an idiot for playing Scott at 13" discussions we used to have.

I'd be very happy with Dean 12 Scott 13.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I'd be very happy with Dean 12 Scott 13.

I think the only solution to this is to play Scott at 12 and Scott at 13.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 am

[quote="dolf_lundgren"]Just to move it along, I think Kinghorn should play 10 next year.
[quote]

With Watson at 12 as a proper crash ball option outside him, Graham to 9 for getting to the breakdown and ball away quickly, which I think means Mata to 15 to field the kicks...this coaching lark is a piece of TonySpreadbury
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum