Gunners Vs Ulster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Gunners Vs Ulster

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Well, it seems it has already been said eloquently above, I have nothing to add of any use, what’s worse the latest medication prevents me partaking in a bucket load do booze to wipe it from my mind.
And I have to go a AlainRolland wedding tomorrow instead of Melrose. :roll:
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Can't think of a single wheel that didn't come off tonight, culminating in a scrum going backwards faster than most of the Embra backs went forward. Reality check in spades.

Ulster were however very decent, although they didn't really have to be.

I just got the feeling that tiredness is setting in. Only players to enhance their reputations were Barclay and Ritchie.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 am

10 minutes to go needing 3 tries to save our season and we box kick. The same with 6 minutes left. The odds were against but you have to at least have a go. We effectively threw in the towel with 10 minutes left.

We aren't changing our 9, 10, 12, 13 for next season and we aren't changing our backs coach. What's going to change??
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 am

There are pretty strong rumours that we are bringing in a new 9 and backs coach. Although I don’t think any backs coach will make a difference if we don’t allow them front foot ball to play with.

I don’t think what we have seen on the last few weeks is the real Bennet/Scott, hopefully with a proper pre season etc they will be flying, it’s unlikely they will go to RWc now so we should have them from the start.

Maybe wishful thinking but I still think Bickey will come good. He was looked decent tonight with the opportunities he has, I think he looks capable of making decisions better than VDW who is good. If I dont think he plays with his head up and reads the game. Hickey can do that.

Or...... last night might be the new norm and we are back to the dark days!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:45 am

Aaaaaah back to the drawing board i guess, that was rough to watch especially when you have a loud mouthed Nordie sitting practically behind you.Tbh they were no better than good,we were abysmal, and thats bumming us up a bit.Its a case of one step forward, two steps back.Apart from Barclay and Watson i reckon every one in that team had a mair all at the same time; how does that happen when it was such an important match, there is something wrong at Edinburgh i feel.I know people will say its disrespectful to leave before the end, but i had to for my own sanity,i reckon we will get humped by Glasgow at Scotstoun, this is like the Edinburgh of old and not in a good way. I will have to have a long hard look whether i can stomach another season of underperformers and at the moment i can find something more pleasant to do with my Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons; felt after last season we were on the up, this season has confirmed that we are not and have even lost momentum in the forwards; couple that with ineffective back play i can see it being a long time,if ever,Edinburgh becoming a decent team to support
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:08 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:There are pretty strong rumours that we are bringing in a new 9 and backs coach. Although I don’t think any backs coach will make a difference if we don’t allow them front foot ball to play with.

I don’t think what we have seen on the last few weeks is the real Bennet/Scott, hopefully with a proper pre season etc they will be flying, it’s unlikely they will go to RWc now so we should have them from the start.

Maybe wishful thinking but I still think Bickey will come good. He was looked decent tonight with the opportunities he has, I think he looks capable of making decisions better than VDW who is good. If I dont think he plays with his head up and reads the game. Hickey can do that.

I think we are seeing the real Bennett, he's had 3 horrendous career threatening injuries in 4 years? I'll be very surprised if we see him close to the level he was. Scott is far too big, just a lump. We've spent a lot on Scott, Bennett and they arenelt delivering. We aren't giving a centre big money so unless a Taylor or Hutchinson are good we're not signing anyone.

Cockers has to take some blame for the lack of time Hickey and Shiel have had. It's been obvious that Kennedy and Fowles have been off for a long time but Cockers wouldn't give Shiel a run at all.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:There are pretty strong rumours that we are bringing in a new 9 and backs coach. Although I don’t think any backs coach will make a difference if we don’t allow them front foot ball to play with.

I don't think it is a backs coach as such we need but more an attack coach. We need someone to bring a cohesive attack structure that can move us on and develop a tempo and more varied attack using the whole team. I think there is a lot of attacking potential in our squad we need to unlock it if we are to be progress.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Tired team mentally and physically. Forwards in particular have played a lot of high pressure games/minutes. That long bus journey back from wales wouldn't have helped either.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

I don't think it is a backs coach as such we need but more an attack coach. We need someone to bring a cohesive attack structure that can move us on and develop a tempo and more varied attack using the whole team. I think there is a lot of attacking potential in our squad we need to unlock it if we are to be progress.

This is true but the worry is he doesn't get on with Cockers and it goes to pot like at Leicester.

I'd be happy with a skills coach - the backs can't execute a run, draw man, pass, catch simply. Always has to be a mad misspass or something. Do the basics well at speed.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm

sammy wrote:Tired team mentally and physically. Forwards in particular have played a lot of high pressure games/minutes. That long bus journey back from wales wouldn't have helped either.

Sorry but most of them are paid well to this, it is their job, if they're not fit and up to it declare themselves unavailable, and take the consequences, give someone who wants to play a chance, would we seen a worse display from the second choice squad?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:
sammy wrote:Tired team mentally and physically. Forwards in particular have played a lot of high pressure games/minutes. That long bus journey back from wales wouldn't have helped either.

Sorry but most of them are paid well to this, it is their job, if they're not fit and up to it declare themselves unavailable, and take the consequences, give someone who wants to play a chance, would we seen a worse display from the second choice squad?

The main reason we have failed to make a Champions Cup qualification position this season is because the second choice squad lost to Zebre, Dragons, Cardiff and the King's, so I'm pretty confident in saying we would have seen a worse display from the second choice squad.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 am

I don’t think there were any positives to take from Friday.

I think most folk would have had high hopes for our pack, but in the scrum we were largely second best.

Our gameplan is just infuriating, if it works fine, but on Friday (and in a number of other games this season) if we can’t overpower a team, then we have no idea what to do. With that said, Scott, Bennett & Taylor when he came on, were poor, so I can understand the lack of desire to pass to them.

VDM probably had his worst game for a while, no idea if his injury was genuine and impacting his game or he just realised he’d had a stinker and tried to pretend it was injury related. Hickey was no better. The 2nd loudest cheer of the night seemed to be when Pyrgos got subbed so that probably tells us everything we need to know about his performance.

The only players who played ok were Barclay & Watson. Barclay because he scored a try, and Watson because our tactic (other than kicking it) was to give it to him to try and bash his way through, so he at least saw a lot of the ball. Everyone else was poor.

As others have said Cockers and Co have to take a large slice of the blame for this, our squad players haven’t been involved other than when his hand has been forced and we’ve made wholesale changes and it’s not worked. Most teams will rest various players and bring in squad players throughout a season, but we’ve just not. It wouldn’t surprise me if the starting 15 from Friday were exhausted, having played so many games (Scott & Bennett aside)
Also we need a new backs/attack coach, we have no idea what to do with the ball, other than just smash into the nearest pod of opposition players, often ignoring overlaps out wide or other options. I’m not saying we should play an open expansive game, but we should look to vary the point of attack occasionally.

We might still manage to beat Glasgow (just because that’s what we do) but it’ll mean nothing for either team. They’ve got a home semi tied up, and no matter what we do, Benetton will beat Zebre.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 pm

The only positive was the crowd at 7,865, our biggest league attendance (outside of 1872) over the last 3 seasons, and I'm sure for a very long time beyond that? Just a shame there was literally nothing to see!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm

EWT spoons wrote:We might still manage to beat Glasgow (just because that’s what we do) but it’ll mean nothing for either team. They’ve got a home semi tied up, and no matter what we do, Benetton will beat Zebre.

Both teams may still have plenty to play for, Glasgow don't quite have the home semi tied up and with Munster at home to Connacht on the last day Glasgow may need to win to stay top. We are likely to need to win to hold onto 4th and make the champions cup playoff spot, as Scarlets finish away to Dragons.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Interesting spin from Edinburgh today... http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/19/0 ... ings-right

“The Ulster result gives us the chance to work hard next week and really prepare well for what is a massive game against Glasgow,” said Bennett.

I know they have to say something positive but that just sounds stupid.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum