Last Chance Saloon v Glasgow

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Last Chance Saloon v Glasgow

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:50 pm

In fairness to Cockers, when he did play a lot of younger players during the international periods, we didn't do very well.

Last season we over-achieved against expectations, and it felt at times that lady luck was smiling on us. This year, we have under-achieved, and at times the breaks don't seem to have gone our way, at least in the league. So perhaps the learning from all this is that solving the problems we had prior to Cockers' arrival isn't as simple and linear a process as it looked 12 months ago. We can all see that we need to improve our attacking game plan, and some difficult decisions are going to have to be made. Cockers has done a very good job in improving us, but it's all been in areas that are within his comfort zone. This season has been far from a disaster, despite the somewhat deflating end to it. But taking us to the next level is going to be a real test of our coaching team's capabilities. Is Cockers just a hard guy able to coach a set of forwards, or is he able to develop a full rugby team? We'll find out next season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:17 pm

gunner_graham wrote:
The Chiel wrote:Again looked a tired team, needing some depth urgently.

A shame the abiding memory will be the forwards yet again flogging themselves inside the 5m area and not really looking like getting over the line - and nothing outside the forwards. The trips to France & Newcastle seem a very long time ago.

Telling that all Glasgow's back subs are imo better than Edinburgh's starters ( with the exception of DVDM - again underused ). And Glasgow could afford to send McDowell off to play for his club when he'd be a nailed on starter for Edinburgh. Shiel looked good when he came on, but 10, 12 and 13 are real problem areas ( and I know that's not news ).

I don't see 12 & 13 as the problem. 9 & 10 for sure and a lot of that is down to the lack of a game plan. Side to side for a couple of minutes and then 10 metre box kick will never win anything. Dean and Johnston are good players and would probably flourish in a different environment. When our whole game is focused on forward dominance and it doesn't come off we have few options.
What is more worrying is that Glasgow have guys like Steyn and Gordon coming in from nowhere and playing out of their skin while we have a tired looking, unchanging team.

I think Dean and Johnson are back ups, I think Dean has all the skills you need to be a top class 12 but he hasn't yet put them all together and he's getting older. JJ is good but he's also reached his ceiling.

Pyrgos has regressed as the season has gone on but he's played essentially every minute of every game. It's bad management from Cockers tbh - he decided (correctly) Kennedy and Fowles weren't give enough but he doesn't play Shiel unless needs must so what was going to happen when Pyrgos got tired.

10 is a problem - Hickey was a good signing at the time but he's been poor. VdW plays far too deep and far too inconsistently. The real problem is there's never a young guy coming through. McClelland was a risk worth taking, don't really get the Baggott story but every year we should be hunting for young SQ 10s and bringing them in. For example, Eastgate was good for the under20s but he's now at Plymouth. Surely he was worth a punt? James Lang signed a new deal at Quins this year - surely you have that conversation at least.

The last two games have been chastening - would absolutely hate to be the boys in preseason this year. They're going to get absolutely beasted.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Also Mata has been well off the pace lately and Bradbury has been good off the bench. Infuriating that Cockers hasn't switched them.

I really hope Cockers learns from this season that you can't have your favourites who play 80 minutes a week.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:20 pm

The Chiel wrote:Again looked a tired team, needing some depth urgently.

A shame the abiding memory will be the forwards yet again flogging themselves inside the 5m area and not really looking like getting over the line - and nothing outside the forwards. The trips to France & Newcastle seem a very long time ago.

Telling that all Glasgow's back subs are imo better than Edinburgh's starters ( with the exception of DVDM - again underused ). And Glasgow could afford to send McDowell off to play for his club when he'd be a nailed on starter for Edinburgh. Shiel looked good when he came on, but 10, 12 and 13 are real problem areas ( and I know that's not news ).

Sums it up perfectly for me. I think Socino, Scott and Bennett all have a year left so we are going to have to wait until the 20-21 season to make the changes we desperately need.
macdone
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum