Last Chance Saloon v Glasgow

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Last Chance Saloon v Glasgow

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Our heroes

15. Darcy Graham (23)
14. Dougie Fife (123)
13. James Johnstone (40)
12. Chris Dean (85)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (40)
10. Simon Hickey (18)
9. Henry Pyrgos (23)

1. Pierre Schoeman (22)
2. Stuart McInally (136) CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (133)
4. Ben Toolis (109)
5. Grant Gilchrist (136)
6. John Barclay (4)
7. Hamish Watson (99)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (198); 17. Rory Sutherland (74). 18. Simon Berghan (66); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (17); 20. Magnus Bradbury (64); 21. Charlie Shiel (5); 22. Jason Baggott (1); 23. Mark Bennett (19)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Last Chance Saloon v Glasgow

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:39 pm

The bad guys

1. Jamie Bhatti (44)
2. Fraser Brown (C) (87)
3. Zander Fagerson (78)
4. Scott Cummings (55)
5. Jonny Gray (101)
6. Rob Harley (209)
7. Tom Gordon (3)
8. Matt Fagerson (45)

9. Ali Price (74)
10. Adam Hastings (28)
11. Niko Matawalu (114)
12. Sam Johnson (49)
13. Kyle Steyn (7)
14. Tommy Seymour (129)
15. Stuart Hogg (118)

Replacements

16. Grant Stewart (22), 17. Alex Allan (89), 18. D’Arcy Rae (60), 19. Tevita Tameilau (5). 20. Ryan Wilson (151), 21. George Horne (39), 22. Pete Horne (156), 23. Rory Hughes (45)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm

We'll need our piano shifters to call the tune, because if we don't dominate up front it's curtains for our season.

I like our pack and reserves, but their backline is just too dangerous.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Let's face it, a bonus point win in Glasgow isn't happening. Our best hope is that we win our game and Benetton and/or Scarlets somehow fail to get the points they need from theirs. However, I'd be very surprised if they both don't have a bonus point win secured by half time, so am not pinning much hope on that happening. Oh well, there's always next season....
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Our heroes

15. Darcy Graham (23)
14. Dougie Fife (123)
13. James Johnstone (40)
12. Chris Dean (85)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (40)
10. Simon Hickey (18)
9. Henry Pyrgos (23)

1. Pierre Schoeman (22)
2. Stuart McInally (136) CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (133)
4. Ben Toolis (109)
5. Grant Gilchrist (136)
6. John Barclay (4)
7. Hamish Watson (99)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (198); 17. Rory Sutherland (74). 18. Simon Berghan (66); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (17); 20. Magnus Bradbury (64); 21. Charlie Shiel (5); 22. Jason Baggott (1); 23. Mark Bennett (19)

I know it is only Glasgow but are we so confident we don't need a number 8? :lol:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
I know it is only Glasgow but are we so confident we don't need a number 8? :lol:

Big Bill needs no introduction.

:oops:
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Match preview for Glasgow v Edinburgh pt 3 - and given Ryan Wilson is on the bench in the trilogy this is clearly The Dark Knight Rises...

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8cA

- A new captain for Glasgow.
- The Warriors' bogey side back at Scotstoun.
- Too many milestones and 1872 Cup debuts to mention - just read the article! I guarantee there's stats and info in there that you will not get anywhere else...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 pm

disco wrote:Match preview for Glasgow v Edinburgh pt 3 - and given Ryan Wilson is on the bench in the trilogy this is clearly The Dark Knight Rises...

- Too many milestones and 1872 Cup debuts to mention - just read the article! I guarantee there's stats and info in there that you will not get anywhere else...

Cheers Disco, my only real gripe in the head to heads would be in your selection of Allan over Sutherland, I'd take a fit Sutherland over Dell most days of the week, he's a very strong scrummager and his work close in to the line in those pick'n'goes is where his brute strength really comes into its own. Allan is a ways behind Dell or Sutherland in my book.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:Match preview for Glasgow v Edinburgh pt 3 - and given Ryan Wilson is on the bench in the trilogy this is clearly The Dark Knight Rises...

Cheers Disco, my only real gripe in the head to heads would be in your selection of Allan over Sutherland, I'd take a fit Sutherland over Dell most days of the week, he's a very strong scrummager and his work close in to the line in those pick'n'goes is where his brute strength really comes into its own. Allan is a ways behind Dell or Sutherland in my book.

Couple of years back I was convinced Sutherland was the heir apparent to Dickinson for Edinburgh and Scotland but unfortunately since his injury issues it feels like he's not managed to get back to where he was let alone continue his development. In the last 5 months he's had 1 start (against the Kings at Murrayfield at the beginning of 2019) and apart from that 28 minutes total game time. Against Benetton away, which was an absolutely crucial game, Cockerill left him unused on the bench. Allan has had regular game time plus Scotland squad selections - including adding to his cap tally in the Autumn Tests and 6 Nations.

I'd agree that a fit and in form Sutherland would be the best SQ loosehead but I don't think that's where he is right now.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 am

disco wrote:Couple of years back I was convinced Sutherland was the heir apparent to Dickinson for Edinburgh and Scotland but unfortunately since his injury issues it feels like he's not managed to get back to where he was let alone continue his development. In the last 5 months he's had 1 start (against the Kings at Murrayfield at the beginning of 2019) and apart from that 28 minutes total game time. Against Benetton away, which was an absolutely crucial game, Cockerill left him unused on the bench. Allan has had regular game time plus Scotland squad selections - including adding to his cap tally in the Autumn Tests and 6 Nations.

I'd agree that a fit and in form Sutherland would be the best SQ loosehead but I don't think that's where he is right now.

That's fair enough, but my experience is that in the front row game time is less a problem as long as you feel "comfortable" if you get what I mean, as long as Sutherland settles in the scrum he will feel good to go.
I don't think either Glasgow named tighthead has enough to make Sutherland feel uncomfortable, meanwhile I'm not entirely sure there is much between Nel and Bergs as scrummagers nowadays, so when either of them meets Allan I feel the advantage is to Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:23 am

Why is Tameilau getting an advantage over CHH? Assuming he's covering lock I thought he was a back row and he's played one game for Glasgow and done nothing. CHH has looked a solid option at lock and a great prospect.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:12 am

We all know that we should have been well clear in our conference before now,but we were rank against weak opposition and will pay the price this Evening.I would say we have a snowballs chance in hell of taking a winning bonus point at Scotstoun, in fact I could see the opposite. We will play a predictable style of Rugby against an unpredictable opponent,they wont roll over this time, but you know what; we deserve to be where we are and finishing 9th out of 14 and being in the Diddy cup is what you get if you play a predictable game plan and cant win away from home.Hope I am wrong and Edinburgh prove me wrong, but to me this season is Edinburgh to a tee.Ps the Heino run was great, but I feel we are papering over the cracks.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:44 pm

I, too, think Glasgow will get a BP win tonight, obviously I hope not, but I just think it will happen, they have so much talent behind the pack that they only need parity to cut loose.

Steve Diamond said something interesting last night at the Sale game, he was talking about how long it takes to build a squad and how football teams with all their money take several years and how Sale are looking at three or four years to build themselves into a side that can challenge at the highest level.

I’m as disappointed as anyone, but the bigger picture is that we have the basis of a good pack with good young guys like CHH, McCallum, Fenton and Crosbie coming through. This is going to take another three years minimum and we will need to look at personnel changes, maybe some uncomfortable decisions will have to be made.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

I agree, and I think uncomfortable decisions are being made, the likes of Ford, Dell and Hamilton leaving and if the story I heard this morning is correct, there may be one coming with Bennett in the summer too.

The only disagreement I would have is that football teams, and possibly Sale are talking about putting teams together as the majority of their squad will be bought in. We need to grow our own and probably need at least 50% of the squad from there, so success will be cyclical, in terms of players coming through and the ability of the coach to influence that. We need to augment, but as we have seen with Solly, you cant try to bring in the spine of the team and augment with locals.

Hopefully we can get to a position where we have good enough yongsters that we can augment with really high calibre players, as the irish teams seem better at doing.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:16 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree, and I think uncomfortable decisions are being made, the likes of Ford, Dell and Hamilton leaving and if the story I heard this morning is correct, there may be one coming with Bennett in the summer too.

The only disagreement I would have is that football teams, and possibly Sale are talking about putting teams together as the majority of their squad will be bought in. We need to grow our own and probably need at least 50% of the squad from there, so success will be cyclical, in terms of players coming through and the ability of the coach to influence that. We need to augment, but as we have seen with Solly, you cant try to bring in the spine of the team and augment with locals.

Hopefully we can get to a position where we have good enough yongsters that we can augment with really high calibre players, as the irish teams seem better at doing.

Yeah, I meant to add that about the fact we are in a different situation regarding needing to use predominantly Scottish players, I think in the backs too we have the beginnings of some good young players in Kinghorn, Graham, Shiel and vdM.

Missing out on Dobie could be a big mistake, and Glasgow getting McDowall is a pain, there may be few breakthrough players in the U20s worth looking at, I thought a few of the U18 laddies looked good, the winger who took the conversions was one.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum