Mon the Weegies

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Mon the Weegies

Postby Tichtheid on Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 am

Big game for Glasgow today.

I’d just like to wish them the very best, if they can keep the game open and not let Leinster do their 30+ phase thing, Glasgow have the firepower across the whole team to blow the Dubliners away.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Mon the Weegies

Postby The Party Line on Sat May 25, 2019 1:54 pm

I hope so too, if I had managed to get a pass I would be there with bells on.
The Party Line
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 25, 2019 11:02 pm

Shows why Cockers is ultimately correct.

More often than not limited rugby beats ambition. See also Exeter and Sarries beating the exciting Gloucester and Saints handily today.

To be a team that controls possession, the clock, territory, the set piece AND a good defence..... Good luck!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 am

Having been there yesterday, Parkhead is not set up for rugby. Catering and bars completely inadequate. A shame because it's a cracking stadium.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 26, 2019 1:16 pm

biffer wrote:Having been there yesterday, Parkhead is not set up for rugby. Catering and bars completely inadequate. A shame because it's a cracking stadium.

To be fair the bars aren't used to serving alcohol.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:To be fair the bars aren't used to serving alcohol.

Jesus LawrenceBryce wept. That Edinburgh amateur complacency in a nutshell

This is supposed to be a professional organisation having accepted a professionally constructed bid to host a prestigious match. But WayneBarnes ups ok, they ain't used to serving alcohol. Or food. Or soft drinks or expect large numbers of folk in a fan zone or...........................
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun May 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Shows why Cockers is ultimately correct.

comedy gold. Did you watch it? Appalling conditions, Weegies within 3 pts and one chargedown plus few odd decisions from winning. Game could easily gone either way and had Hastings passed instead of a dose of white line fever Weegies could easily have edged it
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 26, 2019 5:27 pm

joe soap wrote:

comedy gold. Did you watch it? Appalling conditions, Weegies within 3 pts and one chargedown plus few odd decisions from winning. Game could easily gone either way and had Hastings passed instead of a dose of white line fever Weegies could easily have edged it

Coulda woulda shoulda - dying words of a fool. And these "appalling conditions" applied to both teams mate.

Attritional, pack first rugby is very effective. More effective than the high risk low margin Glasgow and Scotland play.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 pm

I'd rather Edinburgh played more like Glasgow, they are a joy to watch at times.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun May 26, 2019 9:27 pm

sammy wrote:I'd rather Edinburgh played more like Glasgow, they are a joy to watch at times.

I'd take joy in Edinburgh winning, however they do it.

Edinburgh are capable of some brilliant stuff, there have been some cracking tries scored over the course of the season.
I think the old school still reigns, you have to win in the forwards before you can play that wide game - Sarries are the best team in Europe, possibly the best club team in the world (I'd love to see a show down with them and the Crusaders), they play some really exciting attacking rugby but it's all based around their formidable pack.

I'm more in agreement with FKL, if we are on course for improvement it has to be through the pack first, Cockers' mistake here is one he admits to, he exhausted key forwards through lack of rotation but it didn't exactly help having numerous members of the pack out for long periods during the season - how many forwards have been sitting on the sidelines fit and left us wondering why they weren't getting selected?

Murray McCallum is pretty much the only one I can think of offhand, but I can imagine why with him, he will be undergoing a big time S&C regime.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun May 26, 2019 9:53 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:To be fair the bars aren't used to serving alcohol.

Jesus LawrenceBryce wept. That Edinburgh amateur complacency in a nutshell

This is supposed to be a professional organisation having accepted a professionally constructed bid to host a prestigious match. But WayneBarnes ups ok, they ain't used to serving alcohol. Or food. Or soft drinks or expect large numbers of folk in a fan zone or...........................

Exactly. If they’re not capable of doing it they shouldn’t bloody well be doing it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am

Tichtheid wrote:
sammy wrote:I'd rather Edinburgh played more like Glasgow, they are a joy to watch at times.

Edinburgh are capable of some brilliant stuff, there have been some cracking tries scored over the course of the season.
I think the old school still reigns, you have to win in the forwards before you can play that wide game - Sarries are the best team in Europe, possibly the best club team in the world (I'd love to see a show down with them and the Crusaders), they play some really exciting attacking rugby but it's all based around their formidable pack.

I'm more in agreement with FKL, if we are on course for improvement it has to be through the pack first, Cockers' mistake here is one he admits to, he exhausted key forwards through lack of rotation but it didn't exactly help having numerous members of the pack out for long periods during the season - how many forwards have been sitting on the sidelines fit and left us wondering why they weren't getting selected?

Murray McCallum is pretty much the only one I can think of offhand, but I can imagine why with him, he will be undergoing a big time S&C regime.

Worth nothing the Crusaders pack bar one or two players is also the All Black pack. They play good rugby but first and foremost their pack dominates all comers.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 am

More often than not limited rugby beats ambition. See also Exeter and Sarries beating the exciting Gloucester and Saints handily today.

To be a team that controls possession, the clock, territory, the set piece AND a good defence..... Good luck!

Exeter play some pretty good rugby to be fair.

What Saturday showed was that teams who are used to winning find ways to win. And those that aren't used to winning still find ways to lose.

Two key points in the game that Leinster/Sarries/Exeter probably would have came away with points. Unfortunately both from young Hastings and he must learn from them.

Firstly, just pass the damn ball and let those outside you score.

Secondly, earlier in the season against Sarries at the end of the game Glasgow were in drop goal/easy penalty range (should one be won) to get a BP and tried to fling it wide and came away with nothing. On Saturday with the half time clock "red" they were in a position where a drop goal or penalty would have closed the gap to 15-13 but Hastings throws a long looping pass and the winger gets easily bundled into touch.

The teams used to winning big games don't make those mistakes as often as other teams.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am

Tichtheid wrote:

I have generally been quite impressed with Glasgow's pack this season - their forward play has improved and they tend to roll over most teams in the tight as well. But, they've fallen short against the two best teams in Europe, and us with our first choice pack. They need a couple of additional high quality players in there, I'd say.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 am

I agree, Cummings and Matt Fagerson have been revelations in the last few weeks and seem the nasty types to get Glasgow going. JGray did improve as the weeks went on. I just don't think Gibbins, Wilson and Harley are mixing it with the best of them. Need a new back row but I'd like to see more of Gordon.

But the point remains, high risk low margin rugby and you'll win a couple of big games but more often than not you won't. Good defence, control the game with the pack, good set piece and you'll do well. Tries are mostly scored the first few phases so if your defence can hold you'll do okay, and Glasgow for all their great players didn't get much joy from strike moves.

In addition, Leinster's outrageously boring pick and go game isn't an attacking tool. It's defense, can't score without the ball, get it off us type. Tackling is exhausting, not having the ball and watching the clock bleed is frustrating. I hope it'll be made illegal because two men attaching to a carrier isn't competition but right now it is. Like when Barca just passed the ball about, can't score without the ball. Smart.

Teams can control the Glasgow and Scotland pack too easily. Glasgow and Scotland need to play from in front or have teams chase them/panic. It was interesting Fusaro saying Rennie says tries only count if you exit well. They didn't.

Exeter are a good example, brutal rugby won them the league but to become a Sarries level force they need to counter attack (and invest in business/property) like Sarries do. Edinburgh with Graham and Kinghorn can counter attack, our pack can dominate, we can score from set moves and need more. We need to improve exponentially but I do believe we're well on our way.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum