Stephen Larkham

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Stephen Larkham

Postby BruceLee on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Now thats a blast from the past.Remember he was part of the Carruthers failed take over bid for Edinburgh; pretty certain it was the 2005/2006 season.Back to the point,Larkham has signed a deal for a senior coach at Munster.He was a gifted no10 and tbh like probably many others we could have utilised a player of his experience in those dark and murky days.We have seen standoffs come and go over the years, but i reckon Larkham would have been brilliant for us; suppose we can only dream and hope one day we sign a true world class no10!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Re: Stephen Larkham

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 pm

I guess the ideal would be to bring through a world class 10 from the academy system.
I like how Jaco has been playing at his best and I think we will see more from him as the team matures, but we need young Scottish guys coming through.

It was the best move for Hastings to sign for the Weedgies in every way, and that is an indictment of Edinburgh Rugby I'm afraid.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 pm

I have a vague memory that Hastings' dad (Big Gav) was the chairman of the Edinburgh Rugby board at the time young Adam was lured north from Bath. If memory correct, it was probably right that Adam went to the Weegies rather than us, (a) to avoid any hint of nepotism and (b) so the young lad was not weighed down with great expectations from the Embra faithful.

Still a loss though, he is playing very well at Warriors. It would be great to have a young academy 10 pushing for a place, but we don't have an academy 10 this season. Rufus McLean played 10 at school before switching to FB, but he too has been nobbled by Warriors (apparently).
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 pm

royc wrote:I have a vague memory that Hastings' dad (Big Gav) was the chairman of the Edinburgh Rugby board at the time young Adam was lured north from Bath. If memory correct, it was probably right that Adam went to the Weegies rather than us, (a) to avoid any hint of nepotism and (b) so the young lad was not weighed down with great expectations from the Embra faithful.

Unfortunately I think it was even more than those issues, Roy, Glasgow's game is based on Hastings' strengths of running rugby, he is far more suited to them and far more likely to mature into a Finn-a-like than he would have done with us

We need to open up this coming season, aye we were playing a wider game until the heat came on and we had to win by whatever methods, but we didn't win when it really mattered by playing tight, that is the bottom line.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

Sadly there's no SQ 10s coming through the academy. Unless Thompson swaps back to Edinburgh - which makes sense, he looks a decent prospect but he's awfully small.

Letting Weir goes looks an even bigger mistake now but it's tough when he was injured the whole time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Young Scottish 10s I can think of are:

Ross Thompson
Paul Cunningham
Josh Henderson
Nathan Chamberlain

Be good to get one of them on board with us.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 pm

JDCSR wrote:Young Scottish 10s I can think of are:

Ross Thompson
Paul Cunningham
Josh Henderson
Nathan Chamberlain

Edinburgh could do worse than signing Conor Eastgate.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm

germain wrote:
JDCSR wrote:Young Scottish 10s I can think of are:

Ross Thompson
Paul Cunningham
Josh Henderson
Nathan Chamberlain

Edinburgh could do worse than signing Conor Eastgate.

He didn't look amazing for the under20s but I cannot understand why Edinburgh didn't make him an offer when he went to the championship (if they didn't).

Not convinced Josh Henderson is the answer either as he's fallen off the map a bit but again, why did he go to the sevens (and get no gametime) when Edinburgh need a developmental 10?

Shame McLelland didn't stick around but it's bizarre the SRU don't seem to focused on Edinburgh having a SQ 10.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:01 pm

In Mclelland and Fraser it felt like we had 2 outstanding prospects, i just not sure we have any others coming through with that potential.

it is an age old problem in Scotland and international class stand offs have been few and far between.

In terms of Larkham, the chances of us signing anyone anywhere near that quality are pretty much nil. The closest was probably Glasgow being in for Cruden but depsite the benefit of having his father figure at the club it was always an outside chance and money seems to have talked in the end.

Our best bet would be developing our own and trying to hold onto them for as long as possible as Glasgow have done or find a diamond to polish like Bill or VDM
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum