Challemge Cup 19/20 (unfortunately)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challemge Cup 19/20 (unfortunately)

Postby Flanker on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Does anyone knows when the fixture dates will be announced. My sister in law has just moved to France.
Be a shame not to visit her when Im going to the Bordeaux game.
Flanker
International

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Flanker wrote:Does anyone knows when the fixture dates will be announced. My sister in law has just moved to France.
Be a shame not to visit her when Im going to the Bordeaux game.

The only thing I can find at the moment is the weekends of the fixtures, I think some of the Challenge Cup dates are played on the Thursday.

The finals are in Marseille, so book that weekend to watch Edinburgh :D

https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/12/03/key ... pcr-dates/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:59 am

Fixtures are oot, we are away to Agen, then Bordeaux at home before a double header agin Wasps.

No tv coverage.

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am

Brexit update

“A player who is a UK citizen will be regarded as a European player for the purposes of EPCR’s tournaments.”

So only two players who are not UK passport holders will be allowed in any match day squads.

From an Embra point of view that means choosing from Schoeman, Willense, (maybe WP Nel, but he has been here a long time) Berghan could possibly be a passport holder, Bill Mata will start if fit so that leaves only one other from the list, Duahan van der Merwe, Jaco van der Walt, Eroni Sau and Kunavuala.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Brexit update

“A player who is a UK citizen will be regarded as a European player for the purposes of EPCR’s tournaments.”

So only two players who are not UK passport holders will be allowed in any match day squads.

From an Embra point of view that means choosing from Schoeman, Willense, (maybe WP Nel, but he has been here a long time) Berghan could possibly be a passport holder, Bill Mata will start if fit so that leaves only one other from the list, Duahan van der Merwe, Jaco van der Walt, Eroni Sau and Kunavuala.

Only my interpretation but the rule is:

3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two ‘non-European players’ in each match squad.

Does this not just ensure that British players remain within that 'European' classification after Brexit? As has been previously defined Fijians, South Africans etc. are not 'non-European players'.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:22 pm

disco wrote:Only my interpretation but the rule is:

3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two ‘non-European players’ in each match squad.

Does this not just ensure that British players remain within that 'European' classification after Brexit? As has been previously defined Fijians, South Africans etc. are not 'non-European players'.

As far as I understand the situation Kolpak is all about freedom of movement, most of the deals mooted and certainly "No Deal" ends freedom of movement between the EU and UK

But I'm open to clarification on that
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:Only my interpretation but the rule is:

As far as I understand the situation Kolpak is all about freedom of movement, most of the deals mooted and certainly "No Deal" ends freedom of movement between the EU and UK

But I'm open to clarification on that

The tournament is run as a European tournament, so EU rules still apply. Therefore Kolpak players are still eligible. All this statement means is that UK players are still considered European.

The only issue is if for some reason Kolpak players can't get a UK work permit.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

I hope you're right Biffer, and Disco. If that is indeed the case then the Pro 14 would follow suit, I guess, being a European and South African competition.

I wonder how/if the Premiership will be affected, there was talk of English county cricket losing all their South African players
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum