Conferences

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Conferences

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Conference B just got a lot harder! Munster, Connacht, Cardiff, Bennetton, Scarlets, Kings and us. Conference A includes Zebre, Dragons & Cheetahs. Looks like any 3 from 6 in Conference B next season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Conferences

Postby BruceLee on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Conference B just got a lot harder! Munster, Connacht, Cardiff, Bennetton, Scarlets, Kings and us. Conference A includes Zebre, Dragons & Cheetahs. Looks like any 3 from 6 in Conference B next season.

Definately would have to agree with you on that one CG, especially in a World cup year as well! In fact, if we dont get the players available fired up and performing the only easy match on paper is the Kings at BTM,the rest at home and away we will have to be prepared to win some tight matches.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Conference B just got a lot harder! Munster, Connacht, Cardiff, Bennetton, Scarlets, Kings and us.

are you being serious?

Munster are not as good as Leinster. Not close
Connacht not as good as Ulster.
Benetton - no change
Scarlets - no change
Cardiff better than Dragons.
Kings - no change and much the weaker of the 2 SA teams

I'd argue that if anything that is a weaker than last season.

Conf A has Leinster, Glasgow and Ulster, plus Ospreys who are better than Cardiff on last season
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Perhaps rather than “harder” it will be closer, I don’t think there will be a runaway conference winner but any of the teams except, without being disrespectful, the Kings could end up in the top 3 and any slip ups particularly at home will be costly.

As per the other thread how the cross conference home and away fixtures pan out may be a factor, as may Scarlets, Connacht and Benettons commitment to the Champions Cup I don't think they are dissimilar to us in having a strong 20+ players but perhaps not enough to compete well in both competitions.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Our conference is harder to qualify for Europe, the other is harder to win.

I'm comfortable with it, not least because most of the good guys are in our conference and the arseholes are in the other one.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 am

biffer wrote:I'm comfortable with it, not least because most of the good guys are in our conference and the arseholes are in the other one.

...... Tadhg Beirne and Connor Murray excepted of course!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am

biffer wrote:Our conference is harder to qualify for Europe, the other is harder to win.

I'm comfortable with it, not least because most of the good guys are in our conference and the arseholes are in the other one.

I think you have roughly hit the nail on the head. The biggest difference I think is that we have the stronger Italian and weaker SA side which changes the dynamic in terms of euro qualification.

We should be looking at that conference thinking we have a chance of winning the conference. As will Munster, Connacht, Scarlets, Cardiff and Benneton. Some ambitions will be more realistic than others.

Sounds like an opportunity to me.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:31 pm

We need to remember how to win away from home and get the season off and running with points on the board, all the rest of the teams in the league are beatable dependent on when we play them with regard to International duties, going into the season with a PMA. :x
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm

I think apart from the Dragons as the worst it's hard to rank the Welsh sides. The Scarlets have a new HC too that's an unknown.

Think we will qualify if we manage our squad better than last season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:I'm comfortable with it, not least because most of the good guys are in our conference and the arseholes are in the other one.

Exceptions that prove the rule

Other conference has Sexton, Healy, everyone from Belfast and Adam Hastings.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:04 am

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Exceptions that prove the rule

Other conference has Sexton, Healy, everyone from Belfast and Adam Hastings.

:lol: Indeed, however let's not forget the old adage .... in the Kingdom of the arsehole, the arsehole that does stunts is King!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 am

To be fair to Adam Hastings he probably created as many tries for our backline last season as our half backs did.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Oh good, can fill the diary in and arrange other things now, need the times for the friendlies now, other things on those weekends too.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum