Warm ups have arrived.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Warm ups have arrived.

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:12 pm

I hope so, CG. I really do hope today will help.

I'm more of the happy clappy tendance rather than wanderin aboot wi a rain cloud ower ma heid

As you say, Bring on Zebre!
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:39 am

I agree these games are more for fine tuning Andy getting rid of rustiness than winning, although it is a good habit to get into,its hard to tell how strong Ospreys were but they seemed decent and similar in terms of likely staring Xv in a few weeks time.

Scott looks a different player from last year, light on his feet and picking good angles, Bennet too looks much sharper.
I thought Farndale looked good, went looking for work and both he and vdm looked quick.

The main downside for me was that we really need to find cover at fullback. Hoyland great with with the ball but he caught nothing yesterday and his positioning didn’t look great. It was windy though, I think we need to revert to use
Ing Dougie and Brown as Hoyland isn’t the answer there. It’s a short term issue until Kinghirn and graham get back.

Forwards looked ok. Steenkamp isn’t very big but carries well, I liked the abrasive ness of our back row, but didn’t compete much on their ball. Murray Douglas looked good and did a lot of work too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Really promising to read Scott and Bennett are playing good rugby. It's no surprise Scott plays better having lost weight - back to his natural game. But is huge for us him having a good season.

It's also interesting to see Farndale scoring tries. I really think he could be a lethal winger full time here. You don't manage to be the top try scorer in under20 world cups in a weak team through luck.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 pm

I've never been able to figure out why Farndale's never been given a proper go in XVs. He's a wee bit of a donkey but he's a lethal runner.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm

The Nudger wrote:I've never been able to figure out why Farndale's never been given a proper go in XVs. He's a wee bit of a donkey but he's a lethal runner.

I've just seen the highlights on the club site, Farndale showed some real pace for his try, that's not something you can fluke and as the cliché goes, there is no substitute for it, everything else, the running lines, the positional play, the handling, that can all be coached.

Scott looked terrific, much more like himself, btw, did JJ wear the no 13 jersey? It looked like he and Mark Bennett were both wearing the number.

We've come to expect better maul defence from an Edinburgh pack, so that was disappointing to lose two scores to it.

Bennett dropping the ball after he'd beaten several defenders on his way to the line was frustrating, as was Groom knocking on whilst grounding the ball, hopefully that is those howlers out of the way now.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

The bit they highlights didn’t show are the defence of Scott which was outstanding. After London Scots got a lot of job just smashing it up it was good to see us looking secure in midfield. A lot of rustiness all round though, but encouraging signs
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Old West Stand on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Nudger wrote:I've never been able to figure out why Farndale's never been given a proper go in XVs. He's a wee bit of a donkey but he's a lethal runner.

I've just seen the highlights on the club site, Farndale showed some real pace for his try, that's not something you can fluke and as the cliché goes, there is no substitute for it, everything else, the running lines, the positional play, the handling, that can all be coached.

It's probably a hangover from his sevens days, but I'd like to see him drop the one handed touchdown, especially from so high up. And more so in a game where a couple of scoring chances were missed with dropped balls.
But I agree, he looked good.
Anyone seen the full game up anywhere?
Attachments
farndale.JPG
farndale.JPG (48.3 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
Old West Stand
Established pro

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum