Warm ups have arrived.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Warm ups have arrived.

Postby Wottie on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 am

Thought Haining looked a great addition to the squad from Saturday's first half hit out. Looks to have great hands and a propensity to rock up in the wide channels. Be interesting to see him in the Ospreys game where the defence will be a bit more robust.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 am

From the OL

Having beaten London Scottish in their first pre-season match ten days ago, Edinburgh will conclude their competitive preparations for the new campaign when they welcome Ospreys to Murrayfield on Saturday. New signings Jamie Bhatti and Ruan Steenkamp will be involved, as will established names Duhan van der Merwe and Lewis Carmichael. Winger Van der Merwe had tonsillitis recently, while lock Carmichael had a knee operation at the turn of the year but has now completed his rehabilitation.

Of the other new signings, Mike Willemse is still out after being injured in a training camp against Scotland, Mesu Kunavula is recovering from a shoulder operation but is not too far away from being able to resume playing, and Eroni Sau is still waiting for a visa.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/richard- ... h-stadium/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:25 pm

A highlights reel of Steenkamp - looks like he has a heavy right shoulder, just the ticket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjfPP1acI4Y
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Him and Bill M could drive well together at defences. Could be interesting times ahead.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Him and Bill M could drive well together at defences. Could be interesting times ahead.

Not likely to see them play together given he is here for RWC cover only.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Forgot about that, was getting excited over nothing. :oops:
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:06 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree with both of those, but just think if we want to play a more rounded game then Groom/Hickey will give us that. Probably closer between Pyrgos and Groom in that respect.

I think VDw is a decent player but he is not going to take us forward. Hickey can but whether he will are two different matters. It’s an odd thing but his body position when he takes the ball gives him mor emotions, vdw sets up to either kick or pass, a wee bit like dan parks used to. So even tho he throws a flat fast pass the defence is already up in the face of the recipient.

I'm really hoping Shiel comes through as well. His service has been fantastic in what I've seen of him, the kind of fast flat pass that can give you an edge, without the lunacy of Ali Price.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm

21-12 up with 14 mins to go at home, and we lose 21-22

A depressingly familiar result
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Although incredibly frustrating to lose at the death I really enjoyed the game.Some excellent back play and a delight to see Scott (in particular) and Bennett looking extremely sharp.The three tries were superb and although we lost thought we were by some way the better team (which of course counts for nothing!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Hopefully the handling mistakes are now all out of the way before the season starts in earnest,but some good linking play, and did I see VDM coming of the wing and getting involved! A quite encouraging start despite the final result.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 pm

I'm not concerned about the result at all. If the O's had missed that late penalty and we'd won by 2 points, would it have made any difference to the value of the game? Absolutely not.

It was an entertaining game to watch, and a really good work out for both teams. Matt Scott was on the stand in the Up and Under bar after the game, and was saying that the plan this year is to play a lot more ball-in-hand rugby, which is great news. Both him and Bennett looked very good, and there were lots of positives from the game. If we're going into this season looking to play more attacking rugby, I'm looking forward to the months ahead. Bring on Zebre!
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Thought Nick Groom moved the ball about well too.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Bennett looked like the young player who broke through. Seemed to have more pace than since the injury. Here's hoping.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 pm

I wasn’t at the game, being stuck here best part of 500 miles away, but preseason games are all about practicing scenarios, and one of them is surely seeing out a 9 point lead with less than a quarter of an hour on the clock?

I just want us to win, always, no exceptions
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I wasn’t at the game, being stuck here best part of 500 miles away, but preseason games are all about practicing scenarios, and one of them is surely seeing out a 9 point lead with less than a quarter of an hour on the clock?

I just want us to win, always, no exceptions

Fair enough, but in a "proper" game we wouldn't be be making wholesale changes to our team at key stages of the match, and would be kicking some penalty goals from within their 22 rather than trying moves off the back of scrums. It was a training game, competitive but still a training game. It was quite right to try things and give a lot of players some game time, the real business starts in two weeks. Today will have helped a lot.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum