Cardiff Sat 5th Oct

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cardiff Sat 5th Oct

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:40 am

Barclays finished to be honest
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:41 am

GaryIPA wrote:Barclays finished to be honest

Not quite sure where this came from, but at the end of last season he still looked pretty capable. Might be done at international level, but he can still provide a lot of value to the Edinburgh squad, on and off the pitch.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am

biffer wrote:

Not quite sure where this came from, but at the end of last season he still looked pretty capable. Might be done at international level, but he can still provide a lot of value to the Edinburgh squad, on and off the pitch.

I think his layoff, at his age, playing the position he plays has been a step too far at international level. Domestically he still has a lot to offer but I wonder whether he has the desire to continue having his body battered, week in, week out.
KenMavor
International

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 am

Didn’t see the game live but caught most of it on catch up last night.

A solid win which reminded me a little of our win there 2 years ago that was the precursor to a terrific season, so hoping it has the same effect. It reminded me of that game because we weren’t fancied to win then, and weren’t fancied now. The fact that we were missing so many “first choices” in the pack and still got that result is very encouraging. It is so good to see Bennett looking like the player he was at the last World Cup.

Don’t quite know how the Blues player escaped a red card. The plain fact is that he took the player above the horizontal and flung him down. There was no attempt whatsoever to facilitate a safe landing, so if that’s not dangerous or reckless play, then I don’t know what is. The fact that he did land “safely” on a pile of bodies should be neither here nor there.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am

TheSmidge wrote:
Don’t quite know how the Blues player escaped a red card. The plain fact is that he took the player above the horizontal and flung him down. There was no attempt whatsoever to facilitate a safe landing, so if that’s not dangerous or reckless play, then I don’t know what is. The fact that he did land “safely” on a pile of bodies should be neither here nor there.

When the ref suggested a yellow the laughably biased commentator immediately said, “take it”, he knew Cardiff were getting off lightly
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:35 am

Can we back this up at the RDS next week?

Have we ever won there?

I'd love to see Hoyland score, twice, putting McFadden on his KelvinDeaker in the process
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 am

Tichtheid wrote:
The Chiel wrote:
Commiserations to the Cardiff Hospital radio commentary team, who were gutted. Made Jonathan Davies look like a complete neutral. Unprofessional by them, and Premier Sports.

To think I give Stevie Ferris pelters for his lack of neutrality, that was awful this afternoon.

I tweeted about this last night, and to be fair got a response from Andy Moore saying they didn't set out to be biased, and that they were impressed with Edinburgh. I think the simple issue is they gave their usual Scrum V commentary but to a wider audience on an international platform.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 am

KenMavor wrote:
biffer wrote:

I think his layoff, at his age, playing the position he plays has been a step too far at international level. Domestically he still has a lot to offer but I wonder whether he has the desire to continue having his body battered, week in, week out.

I'm sure Barclay ( and probably a few others ) will step down from international rugby after the RWC. But I do think he'll still have a lot to offer at PRO14 level, particularly during the 6N.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:08 am

In the euphoria of victory I forgot when posting to mention:
1.Heck of a game from Damien Hoyland.He was very poor in thr friendly v Ospreys but was a different player last night-caughr every high ball and attacked at pace.Once Blair is back a great option during 6N or injury and I'm sure he'll get a few games on the wing as well.
2.I'm enjoying watching this team-great options particularly for the Challenge Cup-and frankly no hurry for the World Cup players to get slotted in once they're back!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 am

Tichtheid wrote:Can we back this up at the RDS next week?

Have we ever won there?

I'd love to see Hoyland score, twice, putting McFadden on his KelvinDeaker in the process

Massive ask, leinster have great strength and depth and is probably the biggest challenge in our league to go to rds and win without internationals but will be a good measure of where we are at.

Agree with hoyland point, that "tackle" still boils my TonySpreadbury.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am

I really like the look of Groom, has a great break, slick pass and a decent left boot on him, to me he`s our leading 9 , with Shiel on the bench, Crosbie is fantastic, abrasive & nuggety.
Hoyland at 15 does worry me occasionally as its always the counter attack from deep when at times we need the kick chase of him.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby Wottie on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 am

An away win early season! Wowzers. It took us 8 attempts last season. All about momentum in this game so great to get a pair of W’s on the board. Haining and Crosbie really showing up well. Back row selection going to be a pleasant nightmare after the RWC. Thought Taylor had an excellent game stepping in late for Scott and Bennett just looks world class again. That could actually have been relatively comfortable last night had VDW not uncharacteristically missed with a couple of goal kicks. Next week will be a different story and a real test of where this “depleted” squad are at. Really encouraging start.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:50 am

I’d love to be fly on the wall in Cockers office when the squad from the WRC come back and are ready for selection, there could be some interesting discussions, what a great position to be in, a wealth of riches?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:I’d love to be fly on the wall in Cockers office when the squad from the WRC come back and are ready for selection, there could be some interesting discussions, what a great position to be in, a wealth of riches?

There's plenty opportunity for gametime if he rotates his squad. Being in the Challenge Cup is an ideal opportunity to ensure Hoyland, Taylor, Shiel, Kunavalu, Crosbie, McCallum, Fenton/Ashman all get regular gametime and still compete in games.

I think we'll be competing on both fronts this year so having a deep squad is needed.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:31 pm

borderflanker wrote:I really like the look of Groom, has a great break, slick pass and a decent left boot on him, to me he`s our leading 9 , with Shiel on the bench, Crosbie is fantastic, abrasive & nuggety.
Hoyland at 15 does worry me occasionally as its always the counter attack from deep when at times we need the kick chase of him.

My son used to play for Currie. He describes Crosbie as the physically hardest player he has ever come across. He also takes no nonsense from anyone and is not averse to a bit of niggle.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum