Cardiff Sat 5th Oct

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cardiff Sat 5th Oct

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:08 pm

liveinhope wrote:Really professional performance.Well done lads.
My heart sank when I heard Matt Scott had pulled out by my goodness Taylor stepped up hugely-didn't realise he was so strong -and some great touches apart froim making the try for Bennett (who otherwise had a quiet game.
(And I hope Duhan's shoulder is ok for next week?)

Taylor looks a lot bigger than I remember him being, obviously a lot of work has gone in. He had a very good game.

Duhan looked a wee bit uncomfortable at the end, hope he is okay, he looks to be back to his very best at the moment
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Win in Wales, nine points from the first two games. I'll take that in a heartbeat.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Cheetahs 63 ulster 26 - ouch
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Agree with Hoyland having a good game, looks comfortable at 15.

Wouldn't want to be Cockers finding Barclay, Mata, Watson, Ritchie, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining and Kunavalu game time.

Thought Carmichael was good too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Agree with Hoyland having a good game, looks comfortable at 15.

Wouldn't want to be Cockers finding Barclay, Mata, Watson, Ritchie, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining and Kunavalu game time.

That raises the question, as things stand what is our first XV/XXIII?

Schoey, Rambo, WP, Gilcho, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Mata

(bit of controversy here, but it's my party and I'll cry if I want to) Shiel, Jaco, Graham, Scott, Bennett, VdM, Kinghorn

Willemnse, Bhatti, Bergs, Carmichael, Bradbury, Taylor (on today's performance) Hoyland, Groom/Pyrgos
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:35 pm

I thought that was a very professional and very accomplished win. We snuffed them out in the first half and our pack gradually got on top of them in 2nd. I was wary of their backs, particularly their back 3, running at us but our defence was excellent, fast line speed and good first up tackles meant we gave them little space. We had done our homework and let them run all their fancy backs moves in front of us with our defence not committing, watching their own opposite number and making good tackles when required. Once Cardiff ran out of puff we then dominated the last 20mins.

Groom plays as per instructions and whilst he wasn't the most adventurous he did what he had to do very well. Ditto Shiels, he comes on to speed up the game once the defences slow down. He looks excellent in that role. I don't get the criticism going Grooms way, he helps us control the game and takes the decision making pressure off of VdW. We have a pretty good 9-10 axis now which has been a problem for us in recent years.

I was very impressed with our fitness across the whole team, we looked sharper than Cardiff. Most impressed with how we closed the game down, in the past we would have panicked, made a mistake or two and lost it in the 3rd minute of injury time. Looks like the guys are confident in their fitness, own abilities and their team mates.

My man of the match was Crosbie, he was everywhere, destructive in the tackle, won a few turnovers and was easily the best forward on the pitch. No real poor performances, MacKenzie made a few mistakes but he is a real grafter, committed to the cause and is there trying his heart out so no criticism from me. I thought Taylor did a good impersonation of Scott tonight, its good to see our centres attacking the inside shoulders and looking for support runners. There has been a lot of hard work in training on our attack and it shows. Bennet is now showing the class we all knew he had and hoped he would show for us, his running lines and support runs are just sublime.

Next week will be a step up again but we should go into it with confidence.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:44 pm

doedin wrote:

Groom plays as per instructions and whilst he wasn't the most adventurous he did what he had to do very well. Ditto Shiels, he comes on to speed up the game once the defences slow down. He looks excellent in that role. I don't get the criticism going Grooms way, he helps us control the game and takes the decision making pressure off of VdW. We have a pretty good 9-10 axis now which has been a problem for us in recent years.

I'm not usually one to single out a player for criticism, but last week he cost us a try by taking an age faffing about at the back of a ruck and getting charged down, he did the same today but mostly got away with it. He also should be telling his number 8 to take the ball across to his right foot to stop the opposing scrum half tackling him when he picks the ball up, it's pretty basic stuff.

Otherwise he is a good pro, but Shiel is a different kettle of fish, pure pace with the odd wayward pass
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 pm

That's a good win in any circumstances. I agree Groom looks more of a plodder ( Laidlaw ? :) ) than Shiel, but bringing on the livewire late on nearly always shows the sub in a better light. Be nice to see Shiel trusted with a start soon.

VDW rightly MoM - really grafted all over the pitch as well as doing the 10 job. Agree Hoyland carried well, but Farndale seemed pretty anonymous ?

Commiserations to the Cardiff Hospital radio commentary team, who were gutted. Made Jonathan Davies look like a complete neutral. Unprofessional by them, and Premier Sports.

Incredible to think Matthew Morgan can't make the Welsh RWC squad.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 pm

The Chiel wrote:
Commiserations to the Cardiff Hospital radio commentary team, who were gutted. Made Jonathan Davies look like a complete neutral. Unprofessional by them, and Premier Sports.

Incredible to think Matthew Morgan can't make the Welsh RWC squad.

To think I give Stevie Ferris pelters for his lack of neutrality, that was awful this afternoon.

Morgan has a long line in front of him for 10 and 15 for Wales - Anscombe, Patchell, Biggar, Liam Williams, Halfpenny just for starters, there are others ahead of him too whose faces I can see in my mind's eye but can't get their names without google.
Nipper is good in a broken field, ball in hand, he is a liability in defence.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Cant really complain about that performance, Edinburgh had a sensible game plan and stuck to it.It was a real team effort and any win away from home and denying the oppo any losing bonus point is a plus.Well done guys,Cardiff is a tough place to go at the best of times.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Agree with Hoyland having a good game, looks comfortable at 15.

That raises the question, as things stand what is our first XV/XXIII?

Schoey, Rambo, WP, Gilcho, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Mata

(bit of controversy here, but it's my party and I'll cry if I want to) Shiel, Jaco, Graham, Scott, Bennett, VdM, Kinghorn

Willemnse, Bhatti, Bergs, Carmichael, Bradbury, Taylor (on today's performance) Hoyland, Groom/Pyrgos

That's the beauty, I don't think we have a first 15. There can be plenty of rotation across the pitch in games and no excuse for the same 23 rolling out every week as last year. This is the chance to build great depth for a Pro14 run and hopefully Champs cup next year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:33 pm

doedin wrote:. I thought Taylor did a good impersonation of Scott tonight, its good to see our centres attacking the inside shoulders and looking for support runners. There has been a lot of hard work in training on our attack and it shows. Bennet is now showing the class we all knew he had and hoped he would show for us, his running lines and support runs are just sublime.

Next week will be a step up again but we should go into it with confidence.

Same, I watched without commantary and thought Taylor was Scott.

Fantastic performance from the guy. Hopefully he builds on this and gives Cockers some problems with Dean and JJ are back.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Fantastic performance from the guy. Hopefully he builds on this and gives Cockers some problems with Dean and JJ are back.

That's the goal, that Scott and Bennett are not shoe-ins. We are beginning to get it up front, we need a bit more class in certain positions in the backs, but Hoyland for one has really put his hand up over the last two games, I'd have no problem subbing him in for Blair or Darcy on the back of these two games
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Early days obviously, but it is largely the same backs as last season but injury free for now (groom and the yet to feature sau only additions I think) maybe the investment in the "forwards win matches" and the perseverance with the much criticised hodge is paying off, LawrenceBryce maybe cockerill is the messiah!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Tasty slice of humble pie for me this evening. Not only did I think we'd lose in Cardiff, I also thought Bennett was finished at the top level. Very happy to be wrong on both counts. Last season we lost a few games from winning positions, so it was great that we closed this one out without too many problems. Early days but an encouraging start.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum