Scarlets 26th Oct 7:35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets 26th Oct 7:35pm

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:32 am

Agree no bad games really,

Hainings thumb was a thing a very weird angle when he went off, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is out for a while, definately dislocated I think, maybe broken.

Hickey was very good, and brought runners into the game wel. Hs defence is poor but I can live with that if he does the rest well. I do think he has a better rugby brain than VDW, and he has more subtlety about his passing, although the fizz VDW can put on the ball is very good.

I did worry when we were down to 15 (schoeman counts as 2!) but Pyrgos managed that very well and took the heat out of the game, Scarlets barely got out of their half for the 10mins.

It’d not sexy but our scrum besting Scarlets with Lee, Evans, Kruger and Price is hugely encouraging, there aren’t many re powerful and gnarled propping squads than Scarlets.

Only area we lacked was our kick chase, we rarely contested for the ball. Several times we could have but didn’t, I get that it is a fine line and a risk but if we don’t contest the. Often we are just handing the ball away.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:59 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Only area we lacked was our kick chase, we rarely contested for the ball. Several times we could have but didn’t, I get that it is a fine line and a risk but if we don’t contest the. Often we are just handing the ball away.

If Haining is out we should have Big Bill and Maggie available

On the kick chase, we didn’t compete last season either but we were better at smacking the catcher back as he landed, I think we were just a bit off on our timing last night
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:07 am

We need to be under the ball at a kick rather than dealing with the result, either our runners don’t know when/where the ball is going or are slow off the mark?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:31 am

Tichtheid wrote:Miller was really good tonight - no more shipping him off to the 7s or wherever, he is an Edinburgh player, part of a really good backrow squad

I have said on here before that Miller has all the tools, but often drifts in games and spends too much time fannying around in the backs.

He certainly could not be accused of that yesterday. He did all the back row duties whether tackling, chasing kicks, hitting rucks etc along with a few wee bursts ball in hand. Altogether his best game for Edinburgh imho and if he keeps that (and if he gets the chance to which is not guaranteed) he will be hard to drop.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:59 am

It’s a great position to be in, Barclay, Bradbury and even Mata and Richie need to earn their places. Crosbie is turning into the player we all hoped he would.

I really hope the Scotland guys come back angry and ripping up trees.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:37 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:It’s a great position to be in, Barclay, Bradbury and even Mata and Richie need to earn their places. Crosbie is turning into the player we all hoped he would.

I really hope the Scotland guys come back angry and ripping up trees.

In addition, and I must have been getting a beer out of the fridge or something because I missed it last night, I’ve just seen on the recording Lewis Carmichael at half time saying that he will be back to full fitness and available for selection next week.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Feel bad for Haining he looked class, you hope he's not out long.

Scott and Bennett are great, Bennett especially makes watching rugby fun. You forget what a high class player he is. As with Kinghorn in attack he's so smooth.

Sau was excellent, deserved his try for an industrious performance. Pick the back 3 Cockers!

Excellent team win. I'm really confident we're onto something special. I just hope England don't win the world cup and install Cockers! The pessimist in me thinks something must go wrong!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Just seen pictures of Hainings hand injury, ooh that’s got to hurt. Not a rapid return I would think, but then I’m no doctor, or rugby pro. :lol:
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Scott and Bennett are great, Bennett especially makes watching rugby fun.
Excellent team win. I'm really confident we're onto something special. I just hope England don't win the world cup and install Cockers! The pessimist in me thinks something must go wrong!

Agree that this looks our best squad in years, possibly ever, and we could have a very successful season. We've got a lot of cover in a multitude of positions, and can now rotate the squad and rest players throughout the season. The positions I'm concerned about are full back and especially 12. To me we look a different proposition when Scott plays, and if he gets injured we don't have cover anywhere near as good. Similar with Kinghorn, but to a lesser degree. Hopefully Scott stays fit and is available for the big games this season.

As a slight aside, it's interesting to see how few comments there have been about Duncan Hodge on here so far this season. He's been regularly lambasted by many posters over the last couple of seasons, but we've played some great attacking rugby so far this season, and his name has hardly been mentioned. Credit to the players, but I hope Hodge gets some kudos as well if we maintain this type of form.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Scott and Bennett are great, Bennett especially makes watching rugby fun.

Agree that this looks our best squad in years, possibly ever, and we could have a very successful season. We've got a lot of cover in a multitude of positions, and can now rotate the squad and rest players throughout the season. The positions I'm concerned about are full back and especially 12. To me we look a different proposition when Scott plays, and if he gets injured we don't have cover anywhere near as good. Similar with Kinghorn, but to a lesser degree. Hopefully Scott stays fit and is available for the big games this season.

As a slight aside, it's interesting to see how few comments there have been about Duncan Hodge on here so far this season. He's been regularly lambasted by many posters over the last couple of seasons, but we've played some great attacking rugby so far this season, and his name has hardly been mentioned. Credit to the players, but I hope Hodge gets some kudos as well if we maintain this type of form.

I agree with a lot of that, though we've had a few false dawns so I'm not counting any chickens yet.
There is a chance that we become victims of Scott and Bennett's success and lose them during the 6N so we need to get Dean, JJ and Taylor performing at that level.

There is a big game coming up next weekend at Treviso, I reckon they'll have a lot of their international players back, I'd like us to go there as full strength as we possibly can without upsetting the momentum this side generated yesterday.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:34 am

Good performance. Pack were on top and that allowed Pyrgos and Hickey to control the game well. Backline is looking sharp with Scott and Bennett running nice lines and the back 3 were a real threat.

Agree the comments on Miller best performance from him in an ER shirt and Crosbie looks like someone who has no intention of giving up his starting spot.

I am going to reserve judgement on Hodge. Good as we were Saturday the attack still floundered against Leinster even with them down men. It is not to say he has not contributed and we are certainly playing at an increased pace in general I just wonder if having a fit and firing Scott and Bennett in midfield with their skill and ability is a bigger point of difference to last season at present. I think we will see if we really have moved our attacking game on when we start to rotate in Dean, Johnstone, Taylor etc and we continue to perform and score tries as we are.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:01 am

There’s an interview with Matt Scott in the offside line where is saying the more expansive style is player-driven and that the narrower conservative style is Cockers’ preference, Hodge isn’t mentioned.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/matt-scott-edinburgh/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:43 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:As a slight aside, it's interesting to see how few comments there have been about Duncan Hodge on here so far this season. He's been regularly lambasted by many posters over the last couple of seasons, but we've played some great attacking rugby so far this season, and his name has hardly been mentioned. Credit to the players, but I hope Hodge gets some kudos as well if we maintain this type of form.

I'll bite on that, CG. The change in the threat from the attack has coincided with change in personnel in the backline. A decent coach would improve the players at his disposal, not have to rely solely on changing them. The lines that Scott and Bennett have been running are making a difference. Were all our previous centres completely unable to take on coaching points or were they not being provided with that input?

I'm delighted to see the outcome, but I remain unconvinced about how we got to where we are now with regard to attack coaching.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:09 am

It is more than just the running lines, Dean and Johnstone made plenty of line breaks last season but often ended up with no support and we ended up wasting the opportunity or losing the ball. Bennett in particular is very good at reading the play and getting on shoulders to take the pass hence his 5 tries already.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
I agree with a lot of that, though we've had a few false dawns so I'm not counting any chickens yet. .

wise words. Great display as it was, it was one game. Slightly different squads but after hammering Zebre,and a professional away win in Cardiff, capitulated in Dublin.
Players coming back but can only put 23 in a match squad and on Saturdays performance bar lock there aren't many really clear huge improvements, just depth (which will be important). Going again to be about maintaining focus and turning up away from home. and managing the squad better than last season
joe soap
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum