Scarlets 26th Oct 7:35pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets 26th Oct 7:35pm

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Surprised Toolis isn't involed, he hasn't played many minutes

Really gutted we haven't seen Steenkamp much, he was a great short term signing on paper.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Hoping that Hickey can produce some of his unquestionable potential tomorrow night and get that back line firing, if so we should hopefully see some scintillating attacking rugby :D
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:55 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Very disappointed that Shiel has been dropped. Poor decision.

I think we perhaps need to look at any selection decisions over a number of weeks rather than one off selection decisions.

Pyrgos has only made 1 competitive appearance this season off the bench for Scotland. It probably wasn't great for him heading out to Japan knowing he was going to get minimal game time and being part of a pretty poor all round world cup effort. RC has possibly decided that he needs Pyrgos as one of his senior players "back on the horse" as soon as possible and the easiest way is off the bench.

I agree it would be great to keep Shiel involved but rugby is a squad game now and hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities coming up.

Yes that's true I hadn't thought of it that way.

I hope Shiel is given gametime though. So far my biggest concern with Cockers is poor squad management and not picking the form men!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Shiel has certainly made an impact when he has come on so next step has to be to let him start and see how his game management is but the Scarlets is not the game for that.

As others have said I really hope we see some rotation this season we have better depth now than I can recall with real options in some positions illustrated by a pretty strong 23 being named for tomorrow despite all the absentees.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Surprised Toolis isn't involed, he hasn't played many minutes

Really gutted we haven't seen Steenkamp much, he was a great short term signing on paper.

True, but the positive from this is that it's given more game time to guys like Crosbie and Miller.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Very disappointed that Shiel has been dropped. Poor decision.

I think we perhaps need to look at any selection decisions over a number of weeks rather than one off selection decisions.

Pyrgos has only made 1 competitive appearance this season off the bench for Scotland. It probably wasn't great for him heading out to Japan knowing he was going to get minimal game time and being part of a pretty poor all round world cup effort. RC has possibly decided that he needs Pyrgos as one of his senior players "back on the horse" as soon as possible and the easiest way is off the bench.

I agree it would be great to keep Shiel involved but rugby is a squad game now and hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities coming up.

Yes that's true I hadn't thought of it that way.

I hope Shiel is given gametime though. So far my biggest concern with Cockers is poor squad management and not picking the form men!

Aye, I'm hoping RC is better on that front this year.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Looks like a lot of scaffolding in one corner of the stadium, there could be warriors fans hanging from it by the time we get over to Edinburgh tonight.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Short summary at: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Decent effort.

Great stuff Martin.

Our backrow, all four of them, were outstanding I thought, as were the entire pack against a pretty useful unit.

Our midfield were excellent and the back three really posed a threat every time they were near either side of the ball, but I have to come clean, I wanted Charlie Shiel to start, even before Nick Groom (best wishes and congratulations to the family Groom) pulled out, but HP ran the whole show.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Really pleased with that result, nobody had a bad game, although some a better night than others, Sledgehammer looks a serious addition to the squad giving more options, nice place to be. :P
Pretty good crowd too, even some noise!
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:39 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Really pleased with that result, nobody had a bad game, although some a better night than others, Sledgehammer looks a serious addition to the squad giving more options, nice place to be. :P
Pretty good crowd too, even some noise!

Given Hoyland's most recent form, having him plus the three tonight plus Darcy Graham, Tom Brown, Jack Blain, Jamie Farndale and Dougie Fife isn't too shabby at all
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Really good performance tonight’s.

Dominant first fifty minutes, they pushed back for ten when they got their try but we put the foot back on their throat and finished it. Couldn’t have asked for more.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am

We have a set of backs! First time in 7 years. I'll admit I didn't think we'd ever see Bennett in full flow for Edinburgh. No more Andries Strauss and Sam Beard.

In the forwards Willemse with Rambo will be a great pairing. Pleased for Ally Miller too.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:41 am

macdone wrote:We have a set of backs! First time in 7 years. I'll admit I didn't think we'd ever see Bennett in full flow for Edinburgh. No more Andries Strauss and Sam Beard.

In the forwards Willemse with Rambo will be a great pairing. Pleased for Ally Miller too.

Miller was really good tonight - no more shipping him off to the 7s or wherever, he is an Edinburgh player, part of a really good backrow squad
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

Very good performance and we look to have a powerful squad this year. Scarlets have had some good wins already, but we blew them away last night. Backs looked good almost every time we ran the ball; Scott and Bennett looked in very good form again, and I thought Hickey had a tidy game. My only concern is that Mackenzie has gone from being a penalty machine to being a yellow card machine, and is a disciplinary liability to the side. Back row were very good, and Haining looks a very good acquisition. Next week's away game with Benetton is going to be really interesting.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum