Benetton Treviso

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Benetton Treviso

Postby liveinhope on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Conditions far better for them than us.My heart sank when I saw the rain.
Despite that could and should have won.
These are the games we have to be winning if we are to make the play-offs and Champions Cup.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Pretty dire in every sense. Was Bhatti hooked completely after the Y / C expiry for being dumb, or was he injured ? Or was it time for Schoeman anyway ?
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 am

The Nudger wrote:Really TonySpreadbury off with that tonight. Manufactured more than enough opportunities to win that but as usual lacked the accuracy to make them count when the chips were down.

So as it turns out, far from being a 'statement win', last week was just yet another false dawn.

Pretty much. Questions need to be asked of the international players as to why the performance level went down with them coming back.

Was really quite angry after the game yesterday.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 am

biffer wrote:
The Nudger wrote:Really TonySpreadbury off with that tonight. Manufactured more than enough opportunities to win that but as usual lacked the accuracy to make them count when the chips were down.

So as it turns out, far from being a 'statement win', last week was just yet another false dawn.

Pretty much. Questions need to be asked of the international players as to why the performance level went down with them coming back.

Was really quite angry after the game yesterday.

Which internationals? Only Bill Mata didn't play week of the internationals.

The key moment of the game was when Treviso defended us frkm a metre out. Why oh we do we still launch a crossfield pass and waste any and every opportunity still?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 am

I imagine there will be some work on the lineout this week and some harsh words about dumb penalties/yellow cards.

We really struggled with the kicking game. We were probably kicking at the right times given the conditions, but the execution was really poor.

On the positive side, our defensive organisation looks good and we monstered them at the breakdown, although Whitehouse was obviously erratic with his whistling.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:10 pm

This needs to be a one off result. We cant slip back to the dark days or being able to pull off a big result then throw it away the next week against poorer teams. This basically undoes the good of the Scarlets win.

I think the difference this time is that we can make changes if people are off form. It Pyrgos and VDW drop their form we should give Groom and Hickey a go, I think for too long players have boon comfy knowing they are almost undroppable.

if Bennet is part of the protocol then he will be due a break this week. So will be a good chance for taylor to play with Scott. I know Dean is injured is Johnston too?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:30 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:This needs to be a one off result. We cant slip back to the dark days or being able to pull off a big result then throw it away the next week against poorer teams. This basically undoes the good of the Scarlets win.

I think the difference this time is that we can make changes if people are off form. It Pyrgos and VDW drop their form we should give Groom and Hickey a go, I think for too long players have boon comfy knowing they are almost undroppable.

if Bennet is part of the protocol then he will be due a break this week. So will be a good chance for taylor to play with Scott. I know Dean is injured is Johnston too?

I'd say Scarlets away (collected 22% of available points last season) are a far poorer team than Benetton at home (62% of points collected). Especially when Edinburgh can be such a different prospect on the road (78% of home points v 22% of away points). If home form is maintained then just getting that away % up to 40+ should be sufficient. Not easy but 3 more away wins (from 7 fixtures) plus a few bonus points should put Edinburgh well into the playoff spots.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:40 pm

disco wrote: Especially when Edinburgh can be such a different prospect on the road (78% of home points v 22% of away points). If home form is maintained then just getting that away % up to 40+ should be sufficient. Not easy but 3 more away wins (from 7 fixtures) plus a few bonus points should put Edinburgh well into the playoff spots.

The away fixtures are Munster, Glasgow, Scarlets*, Kings*, Cheetahs*, Ulster, Connacht

*are games during 6N window.

Three wins from that lot is a tough ask, Glasgow is a gimme :D , the Kings is doable, we won down at Scarlets last year and we've cuffed them a couple of weeks ago, so that isn't impossible but they will be pulling out all the stops after that last game. I hope we can go to Connacht not needing the win to make the play offs.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 am

Cockers is having a, justified imo, go at Ben Whitehouse in the Offside Line

Also from the article

Winger Darcy Graham is recovering from a quad strain picked up playing for Scotland against Japan at the World Cup last month and will not be back in action for another two to three weeks, but fellow internationalists Grant Gilchrist, Ben Toolis, John Barclay, Jamie Ritchie and Simon Berghan will all come back into the selection mix this weekend.

Bradbury was good last weekend, to be honest I thought Miller and Crosbie were too but they are probably due a rest.

Carmichael is yet to get back to his pre-injury form, it's a difficult one with him as he needs games to get back up to speed but we can't carry anyone, we need five points this week, no excuses.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 am

Tichtheid wrote:Cockers is having a, justified imo, go at Ben Whitehouse in the Offside Line

Refs are the worst aspect of the league, so he's not wrong to highlight it. At his best, Whitehouse is a ridiculous home-r, which is bad enough, but generally his decision making is poor quality.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am

Think it is in Scrum story of the same press conference Cockers points out that once Owens retires there will be no international standard referees in the Pro14.

Really is not good enough, i know judegement can be clouded when watching your own team but even watching games as a neutral some of the decisions are really poor and do not tie in with what you see in other leagues.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum