Dragons

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Dragons

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Dragons at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14
Friday 8 November (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports


15. Blair Kinghorn (79)

14. Eroni Sau (2)
13. Mark Bennett (25)
12. Matt Scott (86)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (45)
10. Simon Hickey (22)

9. Henry Pyrgos (26) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (28)
2. Mike Willemse (5)
3. Pietro Ceccarelli (15)
4. Lewis Carmichael (36)
5. Ben Toolis (110)
6. John Barclay (5)
7. Luke Crosbie (31)
8. Magnus Bradbury (67)

Replacements: 16. Cameron Fenton (15) 17. Rory Sutherland (75) 18. Simon Berghan (67) 19. Grant Gilchrist (137) 20. Jamie Ritchie. (62) 21 Charlie Shiel (10) 22. Jaco van der Walt (44) 23. George Taylor (9)
Unavailable due to injury: David Cherry, Murray Douglas, Fraser McKenzie, Nick Haining, Darcy Graham, Darryl Marfo, Hamish Watson, Chris Dean, Ruan Steenkamp, Nic Groom
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Dragons

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Decent looking team.

Hopefully we'll see an improvement in the lineout with Toolis back involved.

Are Bennett and Ceccarelli the only ever-presents so far this season?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

Re: Dragons

Postby disco on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Decent looking team.

Hopefully we'll see an improvement in the lineout with Toolis back involved.

Are Bennett and Ceccarelli the only ever-presents so far this season?

Crosbie has also started every game.

Schoeman and Willemse have had 1 sub appearance each with 5 starts. Van der Walt, Hickey and Taylor have been in every 23 (although Hickey didn't make it off the bench against Cardiff).
disco
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby The Chiel on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Edinburgh Rugby team to face Dragons at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14
Friday 8 November (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports


On Freesports according to their tv schedule, although it's not showing on my Sky planner yet
The Chiel
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 am

Re: Dragons

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 pm

The Chiel wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Edinburgh Rugby team to face Dragons at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14
Friday 8 November (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports


On Freesports according to their tv schedule, although it's not showing on my Sky planner yet



Freesports right enough, the big game is on Premier Sports at that time - Lindfield v Dundalk.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Dragons

Postby doedin on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 am

Good team and hopefully Barclay feels he has something to prove. He should be fit and raring to go. Like it that Scott and Bennet are getting game time together in the centre and they are really looking the real deal, wouldn't be surprised to see them both start the 6Ns together. I would be disappointed with anything less than a BP win tonight and I confidently predict that will be the case!
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am

Agree with that.

Im hoping that Hickey will flourish with Scott/Bennett, he has looked short of confidence in the past but vs Scarlets looked very assured. Would be good to se ehim get a run of games with a more open style and with decent quick ball to use.

Barclay should be like a caged bull desperate to prove the critics wrong, he has a poor couple of games but he isn't ready for the scrap heap yet.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree with that.

Im hoping that Hickey will flourish with Scott/Bennett, he has looked short of confidence in the past but vs Scarlets looked very assured. Would be good to se ehim get a run of games with a more open style and with decent quick ball to use.

Barclay should be like a caged bull desperate to prove the critics wrong, he has a poor couple of games but he isn't ready for the scrap heap yet.


Definitely true I don't think Barclay has it anymore but I last said that about Scott and Bennett so will hopefully be proved to know hee haw again.

I think all Scotland players apart from Graham and Ritchie have a lot to prove. Grant Gilchrist was a major disappointment for me, Berghan got so little gametime they have to be raring to go. Ritchie and Graham need to push on from a good campaign to become Scotland regulars. A lot to be excited about there.

I hope Hickey puts it all together too, I like VdM but he's not the man to get our backs flying.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Could/should be an entertaining evening, guys back to stake a claim on places in the team where there is competition.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 pm
Location: Kingdom of Fife.

Re: Dragons

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree with that.

Im hoping that Hickey will flourish with Scott/Bennett, he has looked short of confidence in the past but vs Scarlets looked very assured. Would be good to se ehim get a run of games with a more open style and with decent quick ball to use.

Barclay should be like a caged bull desperate to prove the critics wrong, he has a poor couple of games but he isn't ready for the scrap heap yet.


Definitely true I don't think Barclay has it anymore but I last said that about Scott and Bennett so will hopefully be proved to know hee haw again.

I think all Scotland players apart from Graham and Ritchie have a lot to prove. Grant Gilchrist was a major disappointment for me, Berghan got so little gametime they have to be raring to go. Ritchie and Graham need to push on from a good campaign to become Scotland regulars. A lot to be excited about there.

I hope Hickey puts it all together too, I like VdM but he's not the man to get our backs flying.


I disagree about Barclay, there was a received wisdom that he has been poor since his injury, form my recollection he was excellent at the tail end of last year and won a few MOTM awards. I think we all underestimate what effect long term injuries have on players, we have seen it with Scott, Bennet, Weir and even Visser that it can take a long time even after neing "fit" before they really start firing.

I think his leadership will also be crucial for us this year. Given he is unlikely to be away with Scotland much, he can become the backbone of the team.

Agree about all of the others, very few of them will be feeling like they did themselves justice.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm

I wasn't too impressed with Barclay at the end of last year for Edinburgh. Thought he was a bit off the pace and not making huge impacts in games.

Leadership is something fans can't judge but I think Cockers made poor decisions running Barclay and Mata for 80 minutes when Barclay and Ritchie were fresh during the run in. Mata had a great season but was clearly tiring.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree with that.

Im hoping that Hickey will flourish with Scott/Bennett, he has looked short of confidence in the past but vs Scarlets looked very assured. Would be good to se ehim get a run of games with a more open style and with decent quick ball to use.

Barclay should be like a caged bull desperate to prove the critics wrong, he has a poor couple of games but he isn't ready for the scrap heap yet.


Definitely true I don't think Barclay has it anymore but I last said that about Scott and Bennett so will hopefully be proved to know hee haw again.

I think all Scotland players apart from Graham and Ritchie have a lot to prove. Grant Gilchrist was a major disappointment for me, Berghan got so little gametime they have to be raring to go. Ritchie and Graham need to push on from a good campaign to become Scotland regulars. A lot to be excited about there.

I hope Hickey puts it all together too, I like VdM but he's not the man to get our backs flying.


I disagree about Barclay, there was a received wisdom that he has been poor since his injury, form my recollection he was excellent at the tail end of last year and won a few MOTM awards. I think we all underestimate what effect long term injuries have on players, we have seen it with Scott, Bennet, Weir and even Visser that it can take a long time even after neing "fit" before they really start firing.

I think his leadership will also be crucial for us this year. Given he is unlikely to be away with Scotland much, he can become the backbone of the team.

Agree about all of the others, very few of them will be feeling like they did themselves justice.


I also thought he was good at the end of last season - although possibly short of match fitness he was still making an impact.

He probably shouldn't be playing for Scotland but at Pro14 level he can definitely do a job.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

Re: Dragons

Postby doedin on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Barclay is a class act but has struggled with fitness post a serious long term injury. I think many dont realise just how difficult it is to recover from the sort of injury he had. Playing against Ireland in RWC was the wrong call as he hadn't had enough games under his belt to operate at that level. However he has a few years in him yet! I suspect he may not play international rugby going forward but he will be a real gem for us during 6Ns. I have no doubt he will be back to full fitness and top form now.
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Dragons

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm

I think a few of the lads will have points to prove, Willemense will want to show the lineout can perform well, and Fenton will be looking to set his stall out for inclusion in the 23 for the big games.
Sutherland can make a mark, Bhatti is rightly rested this week, he can't put the team in the position of being reduced to 14 for stupidity.
Bergs and Toolis will be looking to have a big impact, Their places in the 6N are not assured, Carmichael now needs to step up, he's had a couple of games and we know what he can do when he's on form. The backrow is hugely competitive, Crosbie could steal a march on some of the more established guys if he keeps up his form and improves on it. Jamie Ritchie will be quite something when he comes on, I can't wait to see him getting stuck in.

Pyrgos and Hickey are playing for their places, imo, neither are nailed on to start, Shiel is carrying a lot of hope for the club, I really love the difference he can make coming on at around 70 mins, but he can go one further and become the main guy, I'm sure of it.
Our centres will be looking to break into the 6N squad and Taylor has to be playing at their standard, same with JJ and Christine.
The back three looks to be fairly easy to pick, but on the other hand, Wee Darcy played very well at fullback last season in BK's absence, Sau looks the business, with Duhan improving all the time there is still competition for the lineup, I don't think we've seen the last of Hoyland either, then there is young Blaine to come in to the mix.

Everyone needs to be playing for their places and I think we are near to that being the case, no one can coast and get away with it now.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Dragons

Postby Frenchy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 pm

What's the scaffolding in the East Stand for?
Frenchy
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests