Dragons

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Dragons

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Frenchy wrote:What's the scaffolding in the East Stand for?

Gallows for cockers to dispense with underperformers.

Pretty ugly 40mins. We are on top. Defence looks sound but too many errors in attack.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Cockers has just exploded....never a yellow.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 pm

I thought it was pretty clear cut, to be honest.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Thought it a pen but toolis was never going to be able to stop or turn far enough quick enough.

Anyway horrible game, dragons (well coached now by ryan) slowed everything at the breakdown and with decent line speed did not let us get wide and when we did often butchered chance with own error

Thought with a bit of front foot ball hickey varied things nicely with kicks etc.

Lastly, start sheil.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Thought it a pen but toolis was never going to be able to stop or turn far enough quick enough.

Anyway horrible game, dragons (well coached now by ryan) slowed everything at the breakdown and with decent line speed did not let us get wide and when we did often butchered chance with own error

Thought with a bit of front foot ball hickey varied things nicely with kicks etc.

Lastly, start sheil.

Left game mid way through the first half, took tram to Waverly, train to Aberdeen then car to home.....switched on telly and Pyrgos still hadn't passed off the base of the ruck.....sheesh.
KenMavor
International

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 pm

KenMavor wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Thought it a pen but toolis was never going to be able to stop or turn far enough quick enough.

Lastly, start sheil.

Left game mid way through the first half, took tram to Waverly, train to Aberdeen then car to home.....switched on telly and Pyrgos still hadn't passed off the base of the ruck.....sheesh.

I like a bit of gallows humour :D

We really have to start trusting young Charlie, he looks the real deal.

Disappointing performance and result, but Dean Ryan has made Dragons a tough nut to crack, they gubbed Glasgow a couple of weeks ago (Clancy on the whistle there too, btw)

We were almost good tonight, but the execution was poor, too many forward passes and dropped balls.
Schoey had his guy squealing for his mammy but George just didn't want to know.
The key thing about the Toolis card was did he change his line of running? Clancy said he did, but Toolis absolutely did not. Clancy was equally wrong for the Dragons card, that was the first time we'd been in the red zone in the second half, no other ref carries things over from the first 40 minutes.
Clancy had a howler.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Surprised the TMO didn’t bring Hibbards clearance on Bradbury to the refs attention. I thought that looked the clearest card of all!
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Sonicboom wrote:Surprised the TMO didn’t bring Hibbards clearance on Bradbury to the refs attention. I thought that looked the clearest card of all!

Think contact area was ok, but hibbard just launched himself off feet, it rarely gets pulled up but if he gets head instead of shoulder...

Re pyrgos was not all his fault tonight breakdown a mess and the ball often slow to make it back to him after that why rush. Still want to see more of sheil looks really sharp.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 am

Not pretty tonight, Dragons came to stifle and did, error strewn match but 4 points. Somebody please fit new Duracell to Henry or only give him 40 minutes, Charlie is a bit more of a live wire and we now have guys who want to run at the opposition, don’t let them draw breath, keep them moving and wheezing and we can score tries.
Let’s get the ball out wide, we have two sprinters who want off the leash, give them the ball and let them burn up the grass and get the crowd shouting!!!!!!!!!
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 am

I think it is harsh to blame Henry, it is clearly tactical, he showed a couple of weeks ago he can play a team a fast pace.

Also as mentioned the drags came to soil and they are good at it, they had bodies and hands all over the ball at the breakdown so quick ball wasn’t always available. Douglas, mckenzie and haining also hit a lot of rucks, their replacements need to do the same.

I still don’t really get our non contesting of box kicks, if they don’t drop it then we have conceded the ball very cheaply.

Clancy was ever awful, just guessing at the scrum and for some reason didn’t seem to be speaking to the tmo at all.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:21 am

Tichtheid wrote:
KenMavor wrote:

Lastly, start sheil.

I like a bit of gallows humour :D

We really have to start trusting young Charlie, he looks the real deal.

Disappointing performance and result, but Dean Ryan has made Dragons a tough nut to crack, they gubbed Glasgow a couple of weeks ago (Clancy on the whistle there too, btw)

We were almost good tonight, but the execution was poor, too many forward passes and dropped balls.
Schoey had his guy squealing for his mammy but George just didn't want to know.
The key thing about the Toolis card was did he change his line of running? Clancy said he did, but Toolis absolutely did not. Clancy was equally wrong for the Dragons card, that was the first time we'd been in the red zone in the second half, no other ref carries things over from the first 40 minutes.
Clancy had a howler.

Why would half-time reset the count for persistent infringements?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

disco wrote:Why would half-time reset the count for persistent infringements?

It probably shouldn’t, but I don’t recall seeing one other instance of the ref carrying that over the half time break. It smacked more of evening up, and though it worked in Edinburgh’s favour I still thought it was BS
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am

That was forgettable but I do think the Dragons under Ryan will be a different animal entirely. I can't believe how easily they got their try - what a set move.

Thought Pyrgos was bad - his passing consistently poor. Kinghorn was fine but it's a concern he's no longer taking over games. Also I think it's time he becomes more solid.

We had a lot of good moves, we just still panic near the line. So many tries left out there which was annoying. The backs just panic and launch the ball anywhere when it finally goes wide - annoying!

Thought Hickey was good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Dragons at present very much like we were in cockers first season, hard to beat but with limited game plan.

Thought we ran through quite a lot of good set plays, possibly only the one for kinghorns try completed without an error, but even for that I think scott was first receiver and there was movement and options from sau and hickey was good move. Scott's line at pace for his run through was exactly what we hope to see from him, pass again just forward.

Set play attack looking strong but general phase attack still lacking cohesion for me.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Time is really of the essence when chasing a bonus point, which should have been our target. It was our team that the referee was hurrying up for a lineout too, guess we'd accepted a four point win by then.

No doubt Pyrgos is playing to the game plan, hopefully we can edge away from playing it so rigidly as it's dull to watch, and think we have the players now to mix it up with some running/possession rugby.
Last edited by sammy on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum