Agen - 15th Nov 2019

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Agen - 15th Nov 2019

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 pm

disco wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I genuinely don't think there is too much in it between Weir and vdW.

It seems to be that if we don't capture him next November he would have to wait another two years, is that right?

I don't think that is the case, if you have 36 months continuous residency in a country before 31 dec 2020 you are qualified. anyone moving to a country after 31 dec 2017 needed 5 years.

I don't believe the status changes if you are not captured by end 2020 but met the 36 month requirement at that time.

Edit: I think this debate started after i mentioned VDW becoming SQ it was more in relation to Baggots status than VDW getting capped. They are same age I think but VDW is obviously a fair bit ahead, if he becomes SQ (irrelevant if he actually gets capped or not) I am not sure baggot keeps getting a pro deal if a better NSQ option or a youngster is available and we have VDW as an SQ 10 on the books.

The regs are worded around the team selecting players who are either eligible or previously captured. When Scotland are selecting players in November 2020 anyone with 36 months continuous residency will be qualified to play. When Scotland are selecting for the 2021 Six Nations they will be selecting based on the updated Regulation 8 and players with 60 months continuous residency will be qualified to play.

Ok, thanks had not picked that up. That will be interesting selections come autumn 2020 then. Who other than kebble, VDM and possibly VDW are in that window?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Agen - 15th Nov 2019

Postby disco on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
disco wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I don't think that is the case, if you have 36 months continuous residency in a country before 31 dec 2020 you are qualified. anyone moving to a country after 31 dec 2017 needed 5 years.

I don't believe the status changes if you are not captured by end 2020 but met the 36 month requirement at that time.

Edit: I think this debate started after i mentioned VDW becoming SQ it was more in relation to Baggots status than VDW getting capped. They are same age I think but VDW is obviously a fair bit ahead, if he becomes SQ (irrelevant if he actually gets capped or not) I am not sure baggot keeps getting a pro deal if a better NSQ option or a youngster is available and we have VDW as an SQ 10 on the books.

The regs are worded around the team selecting players who are either eligible or previously captured. When Scotland are selecting players in November 2020 anyone with 36 months continuous residency will be qualified to play. When Scotland are selecting for the 2021 Six Nations they will be selecting based on the updated Regulation 8 and players with 60 months continuous residency will be qualified to play.

Ok, thanks had not picked that up. That will be interesting selections come autumn 2020 then. Who other than kebble, VDM and possibly VDW are in that window?

Gibbins as well although he's a longer shot than the other 3. Tagive is qualified now so has more time but would still need to be captured by December 2020. If he continues to play reasonably regularly for Glasgow then there's a strong chance he'll play one or two 7s tournaments in the next 12 months I would say.
disco
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum