Bordeaux-Begles

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Bordeaux-Begles

Postby Ayton1keith on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 am

Unfortunately, IMO, last night was systematic of Scottish Rugby, soft underbelly. Really need to become hard nosed and learn how to win games such as last night, QF v Munster in March and last Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham. Irish teams would have seen these games out.
Until the winning/killer instinct is installed, then results like last night will continue to blight Scottish Rugby
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Very frustrating.The gamechanger to me was about 57th minute when we had great ball just outside their 22 and,with Sau in the clear ,Kinghorn totally botched the pass showing (once again his own-and quite usual amongst Scottish backs-poor technique in making the left to right pass when under a bit of pressure from the defender.That would have killed to game.Bourdeaux scored their try very shortly afterwards.
Munster next week will be the big test.An absolutely crucial game in our group and a good measure of where we are.Just hope we can put out a competitive back row? ( Haining banned and,Ritchie, WatsonBarclay and Crosbie all injured.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Was a bit disappointing not to get the win, having lead pretty much throughout. However, I'm not too down about it. That was a strong Bordeaux side, with a lot of big men in it. We were never going to roll them over, and I thought we competed well physically with them throughout. Ok, the lineout started badly, but they had some huge guys in their pack. I thought we adapted pretty well, and even stole some of theirs in the 2nd half. Apart from a few slack minutes when they scored, our defence was pretty good too. They are 2nd in the French league for a reason, and I think we could easily have lost that game. So not a bad result, and a good, hard workout for a lot of our players - some of whom really needed game time at that intensity.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:01 pm

I went last night with hope more than expectancy, a couple of mistakes cost us dear, 2 missed chances to score a try, and kill it, and leaving room for them to go like train through the defence to get back in it, pointless moaning about the ref but he was poor with no help from the touch judges.
7 points from those two games isn’t bad looking at other results in the rest of the pools, progress from the pool stage is still within reach, let’s swot the wasps and look ahead after that.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby neildogmaster on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Last night i thought that was one of the hardest games in Europe group stages for a while ,very physical two teams so evenly matched.The referee looked like a policeman directing traffic with so many hand signals.We are still in there but I think it will be only one team out of this group qualifying at present. :eek:
neildogmaster
One cap wonder

Postby KenMavor on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:50 pm

I see Bordeaux-Begles beat Racing 92 away by 34 to 30.

Maybe the draw with wasn't so bad after all....a win was so close mind you.

An interesting few weeks coming up for both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Whilst on the Munster thread we are disappointed slightly (quite rightly) and say that Edinburgh are maybe not as good as we/they think they are progress has surely been made under the tenure of Cockerill but there still seems to be a re-occurence of some old failings.

Suggest that will take time to fix as it's a head problem.
KenMavor
International

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum