Bordeaux-Begles

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Bordeaux-Begles

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I'm quite comfortable with the senior players lining up at home against the 2nd placed team in the Top 14, even if it is only the diddy cup.

Some of them are in need of a run out anyway.

Mata, as I said. Which one of Scott, Bennett, Pyrgos or VDW needed to start? You know, the ones who start on instead of Sheil, Taylor and Hickey.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:10 pm

liveinhope wrote:Whose place is Mata taking? Haining is banned and Bradbury is at 6 tonight. Ritchie (and Watson) are injured.
Only really ally Miller dropping out-though admittedly playing very well

Who said Mata shouldn't start? Oh wait, no-one.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Given the opponents I'm happy enough with the selection, it's a big ask for Charlie Shiel to start this game, likewise Taylor, but they will get their time on the park. Hickey still has a bit to do to overtake vdW imo.

It doesn't matter that this is the Challenge Cup, Bordeaux have picked pretty much their first choice team and they aren't coming to Edinburgh to lose, if you wrote Champions Cup on the tickets it wouldn't change how the French side are approaching this
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:42 pm

doedin wrote:13 changes for us from last week! Good to see we now have real depth in the squad and can now field two strong teams and still have a bit up our sleeve. This will be a real test for what is arguably our 1st choice 15, accepting that McInally and Nel still to come back. Bordeaux fielding a really strong team and are looking to get something out of this game. Huge battle up front for us against a big and powerful Bordeaux pack. All the subs will be required over the 80 as I expect it will be a bruising battle. It will be interesting to see if our much improved defensive in the backs holds together against Radrada and chums. I think we need to keep them moving and use our pace and fitness around the park. Scott and Bennet will need to run some good angles to get in behind their defence and will be key to the outcome. Should be a belter and will be a good measure to judge where we are in our journey. Expect a close game, probably more than a few tries and one score to settle the game. Fitness might be key and we might scrape it.

Would argue we're 4 or 5 short of the first XV - McInally and Nel you've mentioned of course, but also Graham over Sau, Watson or Ritchie over Crosbie, possibly Groom over Pyrgos.

Great depth.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Given the opponents I'm happy enough with the selection, it's a big ask for Charlie Shiel to start this game, likewise Taylor, but they will get their time on the park. Hickey still has a bit to do to overtake vdW imo.

It doesn't matter that this is the Challenge Cup,Bordeaux have picked pretty much their first choice team and they aren't coming to Edinburgh to lose, if you wrote Champions Cup on the tickets it wouldn't change how the French side are approaching this

When will they get game time if not after playing really well, if not in this competition?

How BB are approaching it isn't the point - its how Cockerill is I am asking about. He didn't know what team BB would put out when he picked this Edin side. He over played some players last season, folk recognised that eventually. I'd like to see evidence he has learned that lesson. The challenge cup is what it is in the pool stages - an opportunity to stretch younger players, an injury risk threat to a league challenge and thus a Heinekin place next season.

I await the inevitable posts from the usual suspects as the season progresses about not giving opportunities to new blood when the league pressure comes on
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:52 pm

I think playing players who might not be up to the opposition is more of an injury risk, Shiel and Taylor haven't played at this level of intensity yet, and to be honest Scott and Bennett have missed a hell of a lot of rugby in recent years, these are our game breakers, they need as much time as possible together right now to build the partnership that will be needed at the sharp end of the season for Edinburgh (and possibly Scotland).

How BB are approaching the game is precisely the point, I think Cockers has probably anticipated things exactly as they turned out, and putting out a weakened team could have ended up like it did for Agen last week where the home side were completely outplayed but battled back into it in the second half after the game was lost.

As for when will the guys in question get game time, they'll get it towards the end of this game tonight, it's nothing to get worked up about.
There is actually a danger of leaving the front line guys under-played if they don't get on the park, I'm not particularly thinking of anyone in the side tonight but WP needs to get back in the saddle asap, he is a player who has always looked better when playing a lot of rugby, same with Rambo.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Any chance of winning a lineout at any point tonight, lads...?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Don't think you actually need to register to watch.

Think this link should work: https://www.epcrugby.com/video/live-edi ... ux-begles/
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Sheesh, our lineout has been bad, we're playing in the wrong areas just now, need to get more ball
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Hook Willemnse, his confidence is shot
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hook Willemnse, his confidence is shot

Nearly got your wish there, TH...!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm

We look so much better than them when we have a bit of possession
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Good try but no replay on the feed?

Loving some of the camera work here as well....making me dizzy.
KenMavor
International

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:19 pm

That is a bullshit call from the TJ, Schoey didn't change at all
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:41 pm

What was that penalty for? Rowing?

Gilchrist got continually elbowed in the face as well.
KenMavor
International

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum