Munster Friday 29th

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Munster Friday 29th

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 am

Big game coming up, pool leaders who are very strong at home. They just had a huge game against Racing, it was a corker (no pun intended), and they face Saracens the week after us.

I’d like to see us go all in for this, depending on injuries etc, and maybe a bit of rotation, we don’t have to start Schoey, Bhatti and Sutherland can do the job. It would be good to see Rambo and WP back for this. I guess we have to wait to hear who is fit in the backrow. Is Steenkamp still here?

Maybe wee Darcy will get a run, I hope so.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Munster Friday 29th

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 am

Graham and Steenkamp were both listed as injured for Bordeaux game if i recall correctly. Graham had a minor strain coming back from RWC but was due back soon, Watson was back in training althought doubt ready for this week. Steenkamp was concussion so no ETA, would be great to see him fit and get a few games and Ritchie was listed as injured this week as well but hopefully minor, despite our depth perhaps struggling for a 7 this week. Has Miller played 7? we have Boyle as well who looks a good prospect.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:51 am

Looks like McInally will be available, but Nel has picked up a calf injury. Barclay and Crosbie are doubtful.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Could be really toiling in the back row with possibly all of Haining,Ritchie,Barclay,Crosbie,Steenkamp and Watson all still injured/banned. Quite possibly looking at Carmichael,Mata and Miller with Darge on bench.
Funny how injuries can stack up in one position/area so quickly.Hopefully at least one or two of these back for the La Rochelle double header-Haining will be back from his two match ban of course (though the Munster game is far more important ).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:52 pm

We have Bradbury as well, unless Ritchie or Crosbie recover it is 7 that may be the issue. Boyle and Darge both look good prospects it may present an opportunity for one of them.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Rory Darge was listed "unavailable" for the Bordeaux game so I guess that at least shows he's in the running for some game time.

Miller could do a job at 7, the roles aren't quite as delineated as before, everyone from 1 to 15 is expected to be good over the ball now, plus he's a good link player and I wouldn't be concerned starting with Miller, Bradbury and Mata. Hopefully Ritchie and the others will be fit.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Miller could do a job at 7, the roles aren't quite as delineated as before, everyone from 1 to 15 is expected to be good over the ball now, plus he's a good link player .

Agree with that - IIRC he never started with 7 on his back for Scottish, but his engine and pace ( although I remember doubting he had the outright wheels for 7s ) got him around the park. In his last couple of Edinburgh outings he might as well have worn 7 other than at scrum time. Is he still available though - conditioning for 7s is very different to 15s. ?
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:46 pm

The Chiel wrote: In his last couple of Edinburgh outings he might as well have worn 7 other than at scrum time. Is he still available though - conditioning for 7s is very different to 15s. ?

As far as I can see the next sevens tournament is on Dec the 5th, Miller played for us against Agen ten days ago or so, I would hope we get dibs for injury cover.

I imagine the conditioning would be easier to transition from 7s to 15s rather than the other way around, though others will know more than me about that.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Very good opportunity for us. Can't see Munster fielding an amazing team considering they have the champs cup to consider and Irish rest periods.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 pm

liveinhope wrote:Could be really toiling in the back row with possibly all of Haining,Ritchie,Barclay,Crosbie,Steenkamp and Watson all still injured/banned. Quite possibly looking at Carmichael,Mata and Miller with Darge on bench.
Funny how injuries can stack up in one position/area so quickly.Hopefully at least one or two of these back for the La Rochelle double header-Haining will be back from his two match ban of course (though the Munster game is far more important ).

Apologies (Feral Goat)-I had quite inexplicably forgotten about Bradbury.We do have quite a stock of back rows!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 pm

liveinhope wrote:Could be really toiling in the back row with possibly all of Haining,Ritchie,Barclay,Crosbie,Steenkamp and Watson all still injured/banned. Quite possibly looking at Carmichael,Mata and Miller with Darge on bench.

Erm...Glasgow have La Rochelle...we have Wasps.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:18 am

Nominally yes, but Cockers has decided he now wants to pick the Glasgow team too, so will do what he wants!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Munster at Irish Independent Park in the Guinness PRO14
Friday 29 November (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Blair Kinghorn (81)

14. Eroni Sau (5)
13. Mark Bennett (27)
12. Matt Scott (88)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (47)

10. Jaco van der Walt (45)
9. Henry Pyrgos (28) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (30)
2. Stuart McInally (137)
3. Pietro Ceccarelli (17)
4. Ben Toolis (112)
5. Grant Gilchrist (140)
6. Magnus Bradbury (69)
7. Hamish Watson (100)
8. Viliame Mata (62)

Replacements: 16. Michael Willemse (7) 17. Rory Sutherland (77) 18. Simon Berghan (69) 19. Lewis Carmichael (38) 20. Ally Miller (14) 21. Charlie Shiel (12) 22. Simon Hickey (24) 23. George Taylor (11)
Unavailable: David Cherry, Ruan Steenkamp, Jack Stanley, John Barclay, Rory Darge, Damien Hoyland, Nic Groom, Jamie Ritchie, WP Nel, Fraser McKenzie, Chris Dean, Luke Crosbie
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Going for it then.

Great to see Watson is back fit and Graham has dropped off injured list
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Munster: Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton; Ben Healy, Nick McCarthy; Liam O’Connor, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Jack O’Donoghue (C) Tommy O’Donnell, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, Keynan Knox, Jed Holloway, Conor Oliver, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Rory Scannell.

Ben Healy at fly half turned 20 in the summer, our backrow need to be running right at him, though they will look to move him out in defence so turnover ball will be crucial
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum