Sibling Rivalry

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sibling Rivalry

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
Could see him being given a 7s cap but really don't see him as good enough for international rugby.

How many Scottish fly halves are there who you consider to be good enough for international rugby?

Russell and Hastings. Then I'd have Weir who seems to be playing well. Capping someone for the sake of capping them rather than seeing if they're international class devalues the jersey totally.

If the six nations squad was being picked with VdW eligible he wouldn't get in.

We've ran the All Blacks close the last few visits to BTM and they're really in transition now. I'd hate to be in a close game and have to bring on VdW for no reason other than to keep him Scotland eligible. Farcical.

Not sure I'd be bringing Hastings on in a tight game against the ABs either yet to be honest.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that we'll be going into the 2021 Six Nations fully confident that the three players you named will be uninjured and playing well.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Russell and Hastings. Then I'd have Weir who seems to be playing well. Capping someone for the sake of capping them rather than seeing if they're international class devalues the jersey totally.

If the six nations squad was being picked with VdW eligible he wouldn't get in.

We've ran the All Blacks close the last few visits to BTM and they're really in transition now. I'd hate to be in a close game and have to bring on VdW for no reason other than to keep him Scotland eligible. Farcical.

It is far from ideal but it is professional sport and needs must. We have capped many on summer tours, or rotated in the November internationals, who were not in the 1st 3 or 4 in their position to see what they have got and this is no different really.

The reality is he is the 3rd or 4th best FH (for me his is 4th) that Scotland have potentially available to them this year. Come next 6N, or even this autumn, if 2 go down we need someone not named Horne who could be the 4th man.

Giving him a 7s cap does the job and he should get a nice December trip to Dubai this year.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Could see him being given a 7s cap but really don't see him as good enough for international rugby.

How many Scottish fly halves are there who you consider to be good enough for international rugby?

I've done some research on this and VDW is visible in a photo on Twitter checking into Edinburgh Airport for the trip to SA in mid-November 2017. This would be evidence on the face of it that he began his residency then and he would be available for selection against the ABs in November 2020. As a backup, there are likely to be 7s tournaments in December, but we need to get him capped by the end of the year. Given the dearth of qualified 10s, I think it's essential. If he wants to, of course.

Scotsman from the 16th November 2017 on his signing and meeting his teammates for the first time:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union-2-14915/edinburgh-rugby-sign-south-african-playmaker-jaco-van-der-walt-1-4615071

I think you're right that he will only be eligible for the NZ Test out of the 3 games in November. If it does turn out there are a few guys who will be locked out you wonder if Scotland / Ireland / Wales might be looking to arrange A team fixtures for early December...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm

disco wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:
I've done some research on this and VDW is visible in a photo on Twitter checking into Edinburgh Airport for the trip to SA in mid-November 2017. This would be evidence on the face of it that he began his residency then and he would be available for selection against the ABs in November 2020. As a backup, there are likely to be 7s tournaments in December, but we need to get him capped by the end of the year. Given the dearth of qualified 10s, I think it's essential. If he wants to, of course.

Scotsman from the 16th November 2017 on his signing and meeting his teammates for the first time:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union-2-14915/edinburgh-rugby-sign-south-african-playmaker-jaco-van-der-walt-1-4615071

I think you're right that he will only be eligible for the NZ Test out of the 3 games in November. If it does turn out there are a few guys who will be locked out you wonder if Scotland / Ireland / Wales might be looking to arrange A team fixtures for early December...

I think it's more likely that the 7s route will be pursued in December. Happen to think that VDW would be quite useful in that format anyway, but it would only be temporary as 7s is only ever a pathway for Scotland.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 pm

disco wrote:
Do you have a source for that? .
[/quote]

nah, from memory but can't remember where but I'm sure that was show it was explained. I think the point is a player needs to serve a period in the new country to be eligible - if the term relevant at the start has been completed then the player is and remains eligible. They were at pains to point out players already on the journey would not "lose out".

Doesn't surprise me that World Rugby haven't explained it in their explanatory notes. Nor would it surprise me if they back tracked. The only surprise would be that anyone would be surprised
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm

James Lang might be worth pursuing as a Scotland fly half, though the problem there is that he’s only ever going to be second choice at Quins to wunderkind Marcus Smith (future world player of the year imo), so Lang plays in the centre often as not
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum