Sibling Rivalry

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sibling Rivalry

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 am

Haven’t managed to see any of the game, but sounds like the old failing of not turning pressure into points came back to haunt us again. It’s where Glasgow are often very efficient and score points quickly.

Even if Fagerson was milking pens, lots of others have tired and failed vs Schoeman so good on him for that.

Hopefully we see mother good game next week, maybe with a little more enterprise!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:09 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Haven’t managed to see any of the game, but sounds like the old failing of not turning pressure into points came back to haunt us again. It’s where Glasgow are often very efficient and score points quickly.

Even if Fagerson was milking pens, lots of others have tired and failed vs Schoeman so good on him for that.

Hopefully we see mother good game next week, maybe with a little more enterprise!

Don't think that's true - we did turn pressure into points. The only time we didn't was right at the end when Zander dismantled the ruck as he did all do.

The turning point was JJ's absolutely horrendous shank of a chip giving Glasgow an okay platform instead of a lineout in their half.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:22 am

Thought we might have been a bit more patient at the end, Darcy seemed to go for a gap that was very marginal and got pinned, still, a losing point isn’t the worst outcome, we’ll do them next week.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby gunner_graham on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:Definitely three points dropped yesterday, watched the game through an intoxicated haze, so can anyone confirm if there was a knock on by the left hand side touch line by the half way line in the lead up to the Price try.

Yes, outrageous knock on which the one-eyed ref ignored along with a lot of niggly stuff from guys like Wilson and Jackson. 3 yellow cards and none deserved, this was a game we were never going to win. Losing to the Weegies is bad enough, but getting robbed like this is really galling. That ref shouldn't be allowed near a pitch again.
gunner_graham
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm

We should have won! However Zander F basically killed us single handedly with his work at the scrum and the breakdown. I always thought that his scrummaging was a bit dodgy and he was often penalised but since he has come back from the RWC he is scrummaging has been beast like. If he is this good at 23 AlainRolland knows how good he is going to get! Schoeman will need to review that game and see how he deals with it next week. He wasn't disgraced just needs to learn from the game.

Once agian I thought our slightly safe and predictable approach to the game didnt do us any favours. In Graham and VdM we have two guys who strike fear in oppo defences yet we didnt really use them for most of the game. We will win next week.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:Definitely three points dropped yesterday, watched the game through an intoxicated haze, so can anyone confirm if there was a knock on by the left hand side touch line by the half way line in the lead up to the Price try.

Price tipped it up in the air but caught it again before it hit the ground so no knock on.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Wasn't able to watch yesterday, how worth it is it?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:36 pm

it's quite remarkable how many of the edinburgh fans who clog up the warriors board in the run up to the 1872 games don't appear to actually watch it?
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Frenchy wrote:Wasn't able to watch yesterday, how worth it is it?

If you're pressed for time you could easily just watch the last 20 minutes and not have missed a great deal. There were a few interesting battles going on in the first hour if you have the time to go through the whole thing - but although the effort was there, there was a fair bit of the two teams negating each other.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 pm

I'd say Duhan van der Merwe could be a bit of a game changer for Scotland if he does pull on the dark blue jersey. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like that on the wing. Possibly a very young Sean Lamont - he played outside a backline that couldn't release him though. That shouldn't be an issue now and VDM will bring an awful lot of options for the likes of Russell whether he stays out wide or they bring him off his wing.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 pm

disco wrote:I'd say Duhan van der Merwe could be a bit of a game changer for Scotland if he does pull on the dark blue jersey. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like that on the wing. Possibly a very young Sean Lamont - he played outside a backline that couldn't release him though. That shouldn't be an issue now and VDM will bring an awful lot of options for the likes of Russell whether he stays out wide or they bring him off his wing.

He and Darcy both had their moments - Graham skinning Steyn on the outside with only inches of space was a thing of beauty.

As to playing for Scotland, the latest quote I read from him was the usual "I'm not thinking about that, just focussing on Edinburgh" but he also said he'd grab the opportunity with both hands. Toonie would be foolish to not include him in his plans, even if Maitland was still first choice, as you say, vdM is a point of difference.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Thought we might have been a bit more patient at the end, Darcy seemed to go for a gap that was very marginal and got pinned, still, a losing point isn’t the worst outcome, we’ll do them next week.

Darcy playing at 9 is pretty much guaranteed to have a go himself at some point. I'm surprised by how patient he was!
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 am

disco wrote:I'd say Duhan van der Merwe could be a bit of a game changer for Scotland if he does pull on the dark blue jersey. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like that on the wing. Possibly a very young Sean Lamont - he played outside a backline that couldn't release him though. That shouldn't be an issue now and VDM will bring an awful lot of options for the likes of Russell whether he stays out wide or they bring him off his wing.

There's been a few big wingers tried but Duhan is actually quick as well.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:43 am

monkey wrote:it's quite remarkable how many of the edinburgh fans who clog up the warriors board in the run up to the 1872 games don't appear to actually watch it?

Only if one is a remarkable number.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 am

Tichtheid wrote:

He and Darcy both had their moments - Graham skinning Steyn on the outside with only inches of space was a thing of beauty.

As to playing for Scotland, the latest quote I read from him was the usual "I'm not thinking about that, just focussing on Edinburgh" but he also said he'd grab the opportunity with both hands. Toonie would be foolish to not include him in his plans, even if Maitland was still first choice, as you say, vdM is a point of difference.

It would be a major surprise if VDM wasn't capped next year. Some stories have it that he'll be eligible for the summer tour, but I'm not 100% convinced. Criteria are quite strict on when residency starts and I've not found any proof that he qualifies in June (been working on a piece for SRB on this subject).
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum