Sibling Rivalry

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sibling Rivalry

Postby liveinhope on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 am

Yes I had wondered about that and thought it a bit odd.He was signed from Montpellier for the 2017/18 season but seem to recollect he got injured (in training) and didn't debut for Edinburgh until quite late in the year (Nov/Dec possibly?)
Having said that if he had come over to Edinburgh for pre-season training entirely possible he was living here from June/July in which case that would be fine (for July tour to SA/NZ) as I believe its the date of start of residency not player's first match in new country.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:37 am

Agree I cant see him not being capped.

We are hardly over stocked in the back 3, albeit probably a stronger position than we have been for a while.

I quite like the look of Jack Blain when I have seen him, hopefully he can continue to progress. The 2 young full backs at Glasgow also look like they have talent, Rennie could do worse than to chuck them in and see how they go, they aren't exactly bubbling over with quality there at the moment.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:16 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree I cant see him not being capped.

We are hardly over stocked in the back 3, albeit probably a stronger position than we have been for a while.

I quite like the look of Jack Blain when I have seen him, hopefully he can continue to progress. The 2 young full backs at Glasgow also look like they have talent, Rennie could do worse than to chuck them in and see how they go, they aren't exactly bubbling over with quality there at the moment.

Blain has been OK in the Super 6 but has not stood out. Lomond McPherson had his under 20 career stunted by injury, but is now tearing up trees for Watson's. He always hard but has bulked up and is putting in the time in training and is now the stand out wing in the Super 6 imho.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:54 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:I'd say Duhan van der Merwe could be a bit of a game changer for Scotland if he does pull on the dark blue jersey. I'm not sure we've ever had a player like that on the wing. Possibly a very young Sean Lamont - he played outside a backline that couldn't release him though. That shouldn't be an issue now and VDM will bring an awful lot of options for the likes of Russell whether he stays out wide or they bring him off his wing.

He and Darcy both had their moments - Graham skinning Steyn on the outside with only inches of space was a thing of beauty.

As to playing for Scotland, the latest quote I read from him was the usual "I'm not thinking about that, just focussing on Edinburgh" but he also said he'd grab the opportunity with both hands. Toonie would be foolish to not include him in his plans, even if Maitland was still first choice3, as you say, vdM is a point of difference.

It would be a major surprise if VDM wasn't capped next year. Some stories have it that he'll be eligible for the summer tour, but I'm not 100% convinced. Criteria are quite strict on when residency starts and I've not found any proof that he qualifies in June (been working on a piece for SRB on this subject).

He should play the first 7s or international after he is eligible. If he doesn't and get injured they may need to wait another 2 years.

It would be a shame for him to be injured and miss the window to be capped before the end of the calendar year.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:37 pm

BigD163 wrote:He should play the first 7s or international after he is eligible. If he doesn't and get injured they may need to wait another 2 years.

It would be a shame for him to be injured and miss the window to be capped before the end of the calendar year.

Whilst I agree that he should play as soon as he is eligible, would he have to wait the full five years if he doesn't play this year?
I've just had a look and his signing was announced in May 2017, there is an article in the Scotsman saying he will be qualified in the summer, we have two tests against (would you believe?) South Africa in July and then New Zealand, by the looks of things the sevens is finished by then.

If he isn't qualified by July then he'd have to wait until November, with the 7s starting in October.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:55 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
BigD163 wrote:He should play the first 7s or international after he is eligible. If he doesn't and get injured they may need to wait another 2 years.

Whilst I agree that he should play as soon as he is eligible, would he have to wait the full five years if he doesn't play this year?
I've just had a look and his signing was announced in May 2017, there is an article in the Scotsman saying he will be qualified in the summer, we have two tests against (would you believe?) South Africa in July and then New Zealand, by the looks of things the sevens is finished by then.

If he isn't qualified by July then he'd have to wait until November, with the 7s starting in October.[/quote

If he had a long term injury and went back to SA to recuperate, his continued residency would be broken.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:21 pm

joe soap wrote:
If he had a long term injury and went back to SA to recuperate, his continued residency would be broken.

He can recuperate doon at Porty beach :D
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

If he isn't qualified by July then he'd have to wait until November, with the 7s starting in October.[/quote

The wording of Reg 8 changes on 31/12/20 to needing 60 months residency. The way I understood it is that anyone eligible via residency with 36-60months residency would need to be capped then.

I thought Duhan missed the summer tests but happy if he qualifies in time.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 pm

BigD163 wrote:

The wording of Reg 8 changes on 31/12/20 to needing 60 months residency. The way I understood it is that anyone eligible via residency with 36-60months residency would need to be capped then.

if a player "earned the right" then it isn't taken away. This was explained when the reg was changed, and the intention was to ensure that there was no retrospectives - ie a player who had moved under the 3 year reg was not unfairly "punished" by having the rules changed after his move. A player who moved to a new country by 31 December 2017 remains eligible for that country. Anyone moving after that knew the score
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:27 pm

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

if a player "earned the right" then it isn't taken away. This was explained when the reg was changed, and the intention was to ensure that there was no retrospectives - ie a player who had moved under the 3 year reg was not unfairly "punished" by having the rules changed after his move. A player who moved to a new country by 31 December 2017 remains eligible for that country. Anyone moving after that knew the score

Do you have a source for that? There's no mention that I can see in Regulation 8 or the explanatory guidelines. Up to 31 December 2020 teams will be able to select players who have completed 36 months consecutive residency. From 1 January 2021 teams will be able to select players who have completed 60 months continuous residency.

The sixty-month residency requirement comes into effect after the cut-off date of December 31, 2020. The residency requirement up to and including December 31, 2020 is “thirty-six consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing”.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm

Interesting point as I was thinking recently if VDW might get a chance given the dearth of fly halves (just nobody after Russell,Hastings and Weir playing at a top level?). I believe he joined Edinburgh around the end of November 2017 so might just miss out on availability for the November Tests but would be available after that if he's "captured" by the three year rule even if not capped this year.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:40 pm

liveinhope wrote:Interesting point as I was thinking recently if VDW might get a chance given the dearth of fly halves (just nobody after Russell,Hastings and Weir playing at a top level?). I believe he joined Edinburgh around the end of November 2017 so might just miss out on availability for the November Tests but would be available after that if he's "captured" by the three year rule even if not capped this year.

Could see him being given a 7s cap but really don't see him as good enough for international rugby.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Interesting point as I was thinking recently if VDW might get a chance given the dearth of fly halves (just nobody after Russell,Hastings and Weir playing at a top level?). I believe he joined Edinburgh around the end of November 2017 so might just miss out on availability for the November Tests but would be available after that if he's "captured" by the three year rule even if not capped this year.

Could see him being given a 7s cap but really don't see him as good enough for international rugby.

How many Scottish fly halves are there who you consider to be good enough for international rugby?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

How many Scottish fly halves are there who you consider to be good enough for international rugby?

I've done some research on this and VDW is visible in a photo on Twitter checking into Edinburgh Airport for the trip to SA in mid-November 2017. This would be evidence on the face of it that he began his residency then and he would be available for selection against the ABs in November 2020. As a backup, there are likely to be 7s tournaments in December, but we need to get him capped by the end of the year. Given the dearth of qualified 10s, I think it's essential. If he wants to, of course.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

Russell and Hastings. Then I'd have Weir who seems to be playing well. Capping someone for the sake of capping them rather than seeing if they're international class devalues the jersey totally.

If the six nations squad was being picked with VdW eligible he wouldn't get in.

We've ran the All Blacks close the last few visits to BTM and they're really in transition now. I'd hate to be in a close game and have to bring on VdW for no reason other than to keep him Scotland eligible. Farcical.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum